Video: Beg-packing or just hitching? Foreigners with "no money" spark debate

webfact

I did a bit on my first trip here in 1999. I quit my job, I got a return flight to BKK and travelled all the way down and around Sumatra on 1000 quid, was I cheap, probably, but at the time I was having the experience of my life.

It can be good, but more often than not it’s not worth it, you spend time waiting for a lift, sometimes you don’t make your destination and end up staying in some pretty overpriced rooms or paying an extortionate moto taxi the remainder of the  journey.

Last year there were a couple of idiots come from Malaysian border, jumping out into traffic to catch a lift on a dual carriage way, one car pulled wide, another avoided him nearly sending me into the central reservation. 

I try to spread the word in Facebook groups that it’s dangerous, it’s quicker and financially better to take a cheap bus and just as fun.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

I find it remarkable anybody comments on this. Who cares if someone decides to hitch hike. You guys must have very little in your lifes going on to react to this.... sigh.

And in commenting you've fallen foul of your own criticism of commenting on things which you don't consider worthy of comment...  

.......who cares if someone decides to comment on a topic you don't find interesting ????.....oh the irony... Sigh indeed...

Does it say anything where they tried to hitch hike?
If in Bangkok, yes they could have taken a 3rd class train which costs almost to nothing to Kanchanaburi.
But if you're out in the sticks trying to get from A to B why not...

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

I believe that if they don't have enough money to support themselves while their here they should not come and i do understand some like to do it on the cheap so take buses .

And what if they have plenty to support themselves but they choose to hitch?  What is it to you?  you don't have to stop and give someone a ride, so why are you moaning?  You take the bus if that makes you happy, but leave others alone, they can travel however they like.

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

Does it say anything where they tried to hitch hike?
If in Bangkok, yes they could have taken a 3rd class train which costs almost to nothing to Kanchanaburi.
But if you're out in the sticks trying to get from A to B why not...

Why not regardless of what the train costs?  Half the cars passing only have one person in, hitching is a good thing.

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And in commenting you've fallen foul of your own criticism of commenting on things which you don't consider worthy of comment...  

.......who cares if someone decides to comment on a topic you don't find interesting ????.....oh the irony... Sigh indeed...

Epic fail, and I mean yours by the way.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

People complain about anything now,in the 60's and 70's

I hitchhiked quite a lot, and nobody seen it as doing 

anything wrong, bit more dangerous in this day and age

but,things were simpler then.

regards Worgeordie

also quite common to see woman hitching in the 60's and 70's.  world sucks now.

Why not regardless of what the train costs?  Half the cars passing only have one person in, hitching is a good thing.
I wrote "could have". Not condemning their actions. Don't do harm to anybody so I'm fine with them.

7 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:
30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Epic fail, and I mean yours by the way.

This is a topic you feel unworthy of comment, yet feel obliged to comment on those commenting on it...  not once, but twice now...  Yes, a fail indeed. Yours... But, come young chap.. lets save the word 'epic' for something truly worthy such as the next 'sin-sod, hamburger, tipping or how to Wai' thread... ?

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

People complain about anything now,in the 60's and 70's

I hitchhiked quite a lot, and nobody seen it as doing 

anything wrong, bit more dangerous in this day and age

but,things were simpler then.

regards Worgeordie

I agree, when I was young I hitchhiked from Calais to Lapland and from there to Venice, had a great time, at night people would even put me up for the night in their home, in the morning give me breakfast and drive me to the motorway but that was 50 years ago, people were nice then, no smart phones. 

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I agree, when I was young I hitchhiked from Calais to Lapland and from there to Venice, had a great time, at night people would even put me up for the night in their home, in the morning give me breakfast and drive me to the motorway but that was 50 years ago, people were nice then, no smart phones. 

People are still nice.  They just don't get the opportunity much.  Sad, really.  But given the disdain shown, even here among world travelers, for anyone who doesn't live a linear lifestyle, I understand the reluctance on both sides.  We've been brainwashed by consumerism and cynicism.

One of the problems here is that they don't know and are not taught of anything outside of their own borders.  A school pageant with nazi storm troopers comes to mind.  The kids didn't understand what they were doing wrong.

They are so into their own culture (nothing wrong with that) and fail to realise that Thai culture is just one of many diverse cultures.

In my younger days, I've hitch-hiked in many parts of the world.  Even whilst in the navy, I would hitch-hike to places other than the one we had docked at.  Even in the UK I would hitch a ride home despite having a free travel warrant. A friend's daughter hitch-hiked around the globe.  Took her two years and came back with experiences you couldn't buy.

It doesn't necessarily mean they have no money.  I gave a lift to a couple of young foreigners travelling in Laos.  They had money and a hotel booked in Vientienne.  They preferred to hitch because it allowed them to meet different people and experience different situations.

However, although very common when I was younger, it is less common now as the world has become much more dangerous for this kind of activity.  It's not something I'd recommend any more.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Totally okay what they were doing. Just because Thais don't know this thing or don't understand it doesn't make it bad or wrong.
My friends in Malaysia told me there it is accepted and known. I've tried it several times and people seem to be happy to give you a lift.
Thailand has become a rather greedy and money orientated society.

i have been offered rides by Thai's when they have seen me with my cat in his carrier while waiting for a songthew.  very nice.

Typical small minded accusations coming from one of the greediest race of people i've ever met. When i was a kid i hiked all over Europe and the mediterranean and people were generally pleased to help and also interact with foreigners. Not in La la land though, come here, give us your money and when there's nothing left go home and get some more........ Thoroughly disgusting........ Maybe those farangs that risked their lives freely in helping rescue the kids in the cave should send their bill into the government, i mean afterall, let's not be so weak in giving something away for free ........... because it seems as though the locals wouldn't.......

I don't blame the Thais at all. Why should any country accept tramps, vagabonds, derelicts, or begpackers. It seems so simple, if you have no money, get a job. Yeah, yeah, just young people wanting to travel. Yeah, well just want in one hand and just defecate in the other--see which hand gets full first.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The no money thing is clearly rubbish...  They have belongings and look healthy and fed. 

If any of these kids really did have no money I'm sure there would be parents who could step in and help.

Its clear they are simply 'on an adventure' and have perhaps challenged themselves to get around 'hitch-hiking'... I don't see anything too wrong with this, I don't see that its hurting anyone. 

I don't see it as begging. I'm sure they could afford the bus if they had to, but if someone has space and wishes to offer them a ride, then thats also fine, the may well get to meet some nice locals traveling like this. 

The taxi driver *(who recorded this video) may have simply taken objection as it interferes with his sense of entitlement that these 3 kids should somehow take his taxi. 

I saw hitch-hiking back packers when 'camper-canning' around New Zealand - its not uncommon.  

I agree with you completely. I hitchhiked around Australia when I was young. Not really a money thing, but more of a challenge. and a great way to meet interesting people along the way. And if you are old and bitter and hate hitchhikers, just keep driving. Don't worry - cars driving past is something you get used to very quickly when standing on the side of the road.

"You're peeing on my country. You don't want to spend even one baht. Don't you

want us to have your money?", she said.

They are just traveling...but here some people are willing to rip their heart out

with a spoon and eat raw ?

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

But times have changed. Picking up hitch-hikers can be dangerous. Likely to rob or mug you. I would not pick up hitch-hikers in my country and definitely not low life foreigners in Thailand. 

The main thing that has changed is your media driven paranoia.

6 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Hitchhiking is very normal to do in western countries, it can bring you free to far destinations. I also did many times when I was younger and it does not mean " No Money ", because if I did not get a ride, I took the train or other transportation.

Most Thais dont know which way west is.

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is a topic you feel unworthy of comment, yet feel obliged to comment on those commenting on it...  not once, but twice now...  Yes, a fail indeed. Yours... But, come young chap.. lets save the word 'epic' for something truly worthy such as the next 'sin-sod, hamburger, tipping or how to Wai' thread... ?

Actually I am someone different to the one who felt that people who felt bothered enough to post about these hitchhikers was remarkable, you thought that was ironic, you were wrong, but never mind, epic or not your post was one big failure, that is just a fact. 

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You pity me? Gee thanks, then give me some money. So, I don't have to work for it and can beg my way through life.  

Oh now I see...its jealousy.  You seem to not like the idea of having to work when someone else isnt.  And maybe you didnt have the intestinal fortitude when you were younger to venture out into the world like these guys. 

I have hitchhiked all around Australia, Southern Africa, New Zealand, Europe etc when I was younger and it certainly was not because I didnt have the money nor ever wished for someone else to pay my way.  I worked on the premise that the more money I saved by hitch-hiking the more places I could see. When I could find work I would work....from farm work to bar tending, and then back on the road.  Hitch-hiking is also the purest form of travel because you are really meeting the true locals who were often very willing to pick me up for some company on their long lonesome drive.  I never asked for any money from anybody, I just took up an empty seat in a car going my way.  I certainly was not ever called a bum, derelick, tramp or smelly.  Most people admired what I was doing and thus were more than happy to help me on my way.

Archived