Video: Beg-packing or just hitching? Foreigners with "no money" spark debate

webfact

These people are clearing just hitchhiking. Not a common site in Thailand because, if you are willing to travel "Thai-style", you can get around the country fairly cheaply.

"Beg-packers" are the ones that simply sit somewhere begging for money or the ones that buy (or steal) stuff and then sit on a sidewalk trying to sell it to get enough money to get to (wherever). 

Both types no doubt have money, but they'd rather spend your money than their money.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

This country’s still way too insular to understand  westerners travelling on a back pack and or asking for a lift without being ripped off by another moron cabby ?

Unfortunately, you’re subject to be judged by animals who have absolutely no idea of travelling on the budget since they’re convinced that westerners are all well off..

Clearly, they only know how to show off their stupidly with their brand new cars ( mobile accidents waiting to happen ! )  Whilst being on bankrupt.. The sadest part is that it will probably take decades to educate these savages ??‍♂️

Your takeaway from this is that Thai's are savages?...  Do you receive hospital treatment, dental treatment from these savages? Do these savages repair your computer, build your cars, build the hard drives for your computer, grow, rear and cook the food you enjoy eating?

Your post identifies a disgusting bias against Thai's a huge portion of whom I would hazard a guess are better educated, more social apt and generally much better people than someone who has clearly outed themselves as judgmental and bitter. 

3 minutes ago, losername said:

Because it costs money to provide what they appear to be looking for.

Nothing wrong with hitch hiking.

Great way to see the country and meet people.

Well it used to be...

I did it a lot when I was younger.

No one is entitled to make a profit from anyone else.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

widespread debate in Thailand in recent years.

Yes, everyone in my  village is  talking about this, everyday, first thing they think of, some have even camped out to see if they can spot  one, one  guy has been there for 8  months now and still "0" begpackers!

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

I believe that if they don't have enough money to support themselves while their here they should not come and i do understand some like to do it on the cheap so take buses .

Or perhaps they are trying to save the money for another purpose - for example they may plan to donate something for the poverty instead of paying taxi or minibus. 

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

People complain about anything now,in the 60's and 70's

I hitchhiked quite a lot, and nobody seen it as doing 

anything wrong, bit more dangerous in this day and age

but,things were simpler then.

regards Worgeordie

But times have changed. Picking up hitch-hikers can be dangerous. Likely to rob or mug you. I would not pick up hitch-hikers in my country and definitely not low life foreigners in Thailand. 

8 minutes ago, nabbie said:

Or perhaps they are trying to save the money for another purpose - for example they may plan to donate something for the poverty instead of paying taxi or minibus. 

Ha ha ha ha ha  donate to poverty , sure , why not just send it via  bank transfer from their home country.

7 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

But times have changed. Picking up hitch-hikers can be dangerous. Likely to rob or mug you. I would not pick up hitch-hikers in my country and definitely not low life foreigners in Thailand. 

Isn't it harsh to call them low life ?

I would say that hitch-hiking is out of fashion these days, times have changed, right.

It can be dangerous for hitch-hikers too, they could meet some real 'low life'

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The no money thing is clearly rubbish...  They have belongings and look healthy and fed. 

Perhaps they're "Cheap Charlies" and choose to use their money on other things (tipping is not included in those spendings)

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your takeaway from this is that Thai's are savages?...  Do you receive hospital treatment, dental treatment from these savages? Do these savages repair your computer, build your cars, build the hard drives for your computer, grow, rear and cook the food you enjoy eating?

Your post identifies a disgusting bias against Thai's a huge portion of whom I would hazard a guess are better educated, more social apt and generally much better people than someone who has clearly outed themselves as judgmental and bitter. 

FYI I receive nothing free from Thai people except the odd gossip and comments that only people like you ( since you appear of  the same fabric ) Can understand, being narrow minded judging backpackers, that says everything Mr wide open mind, fool.. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Lock them up for a week then send them home.. Don't come to a country not yours and and beg.. All forign embassies should be told to tell their citisens this. 

Dumb people should also be told not to come here.... 

.... y'know.. those who don't know the difference between hitch-hiking and begging.... ?

regards Worgeordie

I hitched all over my own country too in my youth.....to "save"  money. I had money but transport was expensive then (and still is to this day). I paid 15 Baht on a train here a few months ago ...the same journey back home would cost around 35 Euro....Transport is so cheap here I don't see the need for hitching.....unless you seriously have little or no money. These two actually said they had "no money"....which for me begs the question...will they be begging for food also when they arrive at their destination. (they could possibly be meeting friends I suppose).

4 minutes ago, Ramdas said:
41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your post identifies a disgusting bias against Thai's

a huge portion of whom I would hazard a guess are better educated, more social apt and generally much better people than someone who has clearly outed themselves as judgmental and bitter. 

FYI I receive nothing free from Thai people except the odd gossip and comments that only people like you ( since you appear of  the same fabric ) Can understand, being narrow minded judging backpackers, that says everything Mr wide open mind, fool.. 

???? your post doesn't make any sense at all.... 

I guess my comment suggesting that based on your content a huge proportion of Thai's population is better educated, more socially apt etc was right on the mark. 

Do you still think your Thai Doctor is a savage? (whether you pay for treatment or not).

It used to be a time-honored rite of passage for the young in the West. Not so much any more. My thumb got me from St. Louis to LA (almost 2000 miles) in three days in 1976 when I was 21 years old. Anyone who disagrees doesn't have to pick them up. No need for hostility. I pick up hitchhikers leaving Chiang Mai. They're usually European kids. One young Frenchwoman a couple of years ago was a dead-ringer for Penelope Cruz. Made my day.

regards Worgeordie

If it was the meaning that humans should stop hitchhiking then the eveloution had done something about it and skipped the thumbs for future generations….:whistling:

Archived