Pulminiry Adema.

chiangrai

My Thai Mother in law got a pulmonary Edema a few days ago.

She was in hospital when my wife got the call.

My wife left to take care of her in the hospital.

All I know is that she has to stay in hospital for a few days and

get injections in her stomach and she has a "hoa Dto".

I went online and translated "Hua Dto" into pulminary adema and learned  what it was

but what I really want to know is how she is going to be when she gets out.

Is she still going to be able to take care of herself.

She lives in a "hong taow",rooms in a row so she has lots of neighbors.

I'm up here in the mountains with no one to talk to.Can any body tell me how bad this thing is.How

will she be when she comes out of hospital.How will she  be in a years time.Is she in danger of getting a hart attack.

She had a mild stroke about a year ago but it was very mild and the put her on meds.

Pulmonary edema is a severe medical emergency. They will not discharge her until she is out of it.

The issue is the underlying cause which is usually congestive heart failure.

She will be discharged on a number of medications which it will be essential she take regularly and also need to have regular follow up appointments. 

As to whether she will be able to take care of herself etc, probably provided that does not entail too much heavy exertion, but it really depends on the severity of the underlying heart disease. Also a key issue is whether she will be compliant with the prescribed medications and follow up.

Thanks Sheryl.

She got out of hospital after spending 5 days inside it.

As you said she was given an appointment to come back and will have to come back every month for a while.

She is back home now and must be able to look after herself.if she was left there.

Is this something that she can recover from or is there a risk of this happening

again.

Will she be on medication for the rest of her life.

As I said she had trouble with her hart before and is on medication for that for the rest of her life.

She is good at going to the follow up appointments though.

First thing she did when she got home was to spark up a nice big cheap  Burmese cigar.

She must be seriously sick if she had a stroke and a pulmonary edema come to think of it.She must be in danger of getting a hart attack or another stroke or something.Don't you think........