The junta relax political bans and activities

snoop1130

Junta relaxes political bans and activities, with some restrictions

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION WEEKEND

8466c584a4846a0c1684e822374a942a.jpeg

FOR THE first time since the 2014 coup, political parties are now allowed to convene and make preparations for the upcoming election.

The order relaxing the junta ruling, under the sweeping power of Article 44, was issued on Friday after the promulgation of the last two organic laws on Wednesday.

Political parties are now allowed to convene to amend internal charters and vote on new executives – but electronic communication and electoral campaigns remain substantially restricted.

The order also provides a solution for primary voting which had been made impossible by time constraints as the junta had refused to lift the ban on political activities.

For the first time since the military took power and imposed the strict ban on political movements more than four years ago, political parties are now able to convene and make preparations for the election that is scheduled for February 24.

Parties to amend their charter Presented with the new Constitution and organic laws, parties will have to amend their charter to align with the new rules. Party executives such as the leader, secretary-general, treasurer and registrar would also be chosen anew. Friday’s order permits parties to organise those necessities and directs that they should be done before the organic law becomes effective in December.

The relaxation also allows parties to set up branches outside Bangkok and open new membership applications in addition to participating in the drawing of electoral boundaries process and other activities specified by the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). Primary voting, demanded by the Constitution to ensure better participation, is being adjusted under the junta order.

Concern has been expressed that it would be difficult to meet the constitutional requirement while the junta maintained the ban and political activities were illegal.

The extensive voting within parties to determine MP candidates would be exempted in the first national election. As it is impossible to allow such participation with limited time, the junta will now allow a committee of 11 members to screen potential candidates, self-applied or nominated, for the party executive to endorse and represent the party. Seven of the committee members are ordinary members.

Four others will be the executives themselves. The order also allows communication via electronic means, but states clearly that any form of political campaign will not be tolerated, and if it affects social peace and order the NCPO has the power to disallow it at any time.

The order also noted that when appropriate, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha could propose that the NCPO make changes to the order.

According to Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, the initial relaxation was for 90 days until the MP election law takes effect. A full removal of the political ban could not be expected until then, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30354507

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-14

Suspiciously early if you ask me: Big P said December earliest and he's NEVER brought forward a "promised date". I suspect they're setting up some parties for a fall i.e. some politician says something that "causes confusion", or "threatens stability" then Prayuth says, "See, these darn politicians can't be trusted. Things are way too unstable now." Political ban reinstated and election postponed indefinitely.

Thai parties cleared to organise for first time in years as election nears

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Political parties in Thailand were on Friday allowed to resume organising for the first time since a 2014 military coup, in anticipation of a general election due by May, but a ban on gatherings or more than five people remains in place.

The military government has promised, and repeatedly delayed, a general election but steps this week, including royal endorsement of laws on the election of members of parliament and the selection of senators, are the surest signs yet the schedule for a return of democratic rule is being fixed.

"Political parties will be allowed to conduct important activities ahead of the election," the military government said in a statement published in the Royal Gazette.

The government did not explicitly say the ban on public gatherings of more than five people remained in place, but it said parties could not campaign.

"Parties can communicate with their members electronically, but not appear to be campaigning," it said, while warning that authorities could block such communication "if it is illegal or a breach public peace".

The military has been running Thailand since the May 2014 coup, when it ousted the civilian government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, citing the need to end street protests, and banned political activity in the name of peace and order.

The ban has quelled overt rivalry between populist political forces and the old Bangkok-based establishment, which had triggered bouts of violence and military interventions in politics for more than a decade.

But divisions remain just below the surface.

The election will be held under a new constitution, written by an army-appointed committee, which critics say is designed to prolong the military’s influence over politics for years to come through unelected bodies and other mechanisms.

The military says the constitution should eliminate cycles of political instability.

An election date has not been officially set but senior government officials have said it will be held by May.

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told reporters on Thursday it would be held on Feb. 24 but the Election Commission has yet to confirm a date.

(Reporting by Pracha Hariraksapitak, Panarat Thepgumpanat, and Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-15

18 minutes ago, HHTel said:

So they are allowed to get their paperwork done but not to tell the people anything.  Ludicrous!

Exactly, HHTel. Parties still cannot talk about politics openly in public in groups of more than four. 

So: before 'relaxation' of the ban - groups of more than four people cannot get together publicly and discuss political issues and complaints about the current 'government'; after the 'relaxation' of the ban - groups of more than four people cannot get together publicly and discuss political issues and complaints about the current 'government'.

Ha ha! What jokers the junta is comprised of. They must be laughing their heads off at all the sheep who do NOTHING - not a bah, not a whimper, not a beep - about what is being done to them all.

Want to rule nearly 70 million Thais without legitimacy and without ANY mass resistance, and just by the threat of guns and tanks? It's a cinch!

'Nothing we can do about it - they've got guns!' is the OCD-loop mantra that comes from the Thai people.

Prayut's regime is a master-class to all future autocracies on how to do it - the junta play-book is an absolute winner (given a compliant and cowed populace).

18 hours ago, SABloke said:

Suspiciously early if you ask me: Big P said December earliest and he's NEVER brought forward a "promised date". I suspect they're setting up some parties for a fall i.e. some politician says something that "causes confusion", or "threatens stability" then Prayuth says, "See, these darn politicians can't be trusted. Things are way too unstable now." Political ban reinstated and election postponed indefinitely.

Not possible the people will demand he has used up all his lives

On 9/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, snoop1130 said:

Political parties are now allowed to convene to amend internal charters and vote on new executives – but electronic communication and electoral campaigns remain substantially restricted.

Because nothing is more dangerous than allowing too much political speech.  

I can't believe so many people are so eager for this government to end, and for a return to "democracy". It's been the most stable 4 years in Thailand that I can recall. After the elections, how long do you think before the juvenile political parties start to progress towards the same chaos, disruption, and deadly outcomes that preceded this government? Thai culture will take 2 or 3 more generations (and my Thai colleagues agree) before it has developed enough to manage their country effectively by democratic means. The majority of Thai people need to be treated like teenage school children and do as they are told, unfortunately. They have not been educated to think for themselves or to behave rationally in a mature enough manner to effectively manage the country themselves. If only we had a leader such as Singapore, such an advanced developed nation, has had for so many years, a benevolent autocrasy in effect. How would Thailand, a country without a definitive prospect of ever becoming developed, compare to Singapore today? Somewhat differently I expect. After this election roll on the next coup...12 successful coups and 7 attempted coups since 1932. This link has an interesting article on the reasons for coups in Thailand...I'm sure it wont be long unless the winning party drastically tackles the issues that cause them.

https://www.vox.com/cards/thailand-coup-problem/here-are-the-three-big-causes-of-thailands-coup

14 minutes ago, bangsaenguy said:

This self-appointed gov't wants to remain in power so badly but is so insecure that is afraid to give everyone else a chance to win an election. Scary

The good Junta Boys obviously didn't get the memo.

The International Handbook of Self-Appointed and Coup Induced Governments clearly stats that such movements are enacted to be interim or temporary standing, whereas the principle players are restrained from participating in any such positive alternation that might take place during possible change over. ?

Pity that everyone realizes this is just a staged move to allow the junta to claim a fair election when actually they are setting the stage for moves that will allow them excuses for having anything other than a fair election. This group has built up so much distrust that will impact every step they take towards what, ideally, would be a valid election. Should be an interesting year. 

25 minutes ago, chama said:

Pity that everyone realizes this is just a staged move to allow the junta to claim a fair election when actually they are setting the stage for moves that will allow them excuses for having anything other than a fair election. This group has built up so much distrust that will impact every step they take towards what, ideally, would be a valid election. Should be an interesting year. 

In short, nothing's gonna change.

The reality.

....and everyday Thais will get on with their independent and self-sufficient lives as they always have.

Matters are unfolding rapidly and a push back against the junta's power is appearing. Their obstinacy to stay in power has pissed off many Thais and caused the man to be worry about their ambition. Appears that they have been checkmate and their powers and unfair laws will be slowly peel off by the next elected governments. The 1st Army re-location out of Bangkok is significant. Bye bye to the obnoxious 2 Ps.   

21 hours ago, jkcjag said:

I can't believe so many people are so eager for this government to end, and for a return to "democracy". It's been the most stable 4 years in Thailand that I can recall. After the elections, how long do you think before the juvenile political parties start to progress towards the same chaos, disruption, and deadly outcomes that preceded this government? Thai culture will take 2 or 3 more generations (and my Thai colleagues agree) before it has developed enough to manage their country effectively by democratic means. The majority of Thai people need to be treated like teenage school children and do as they are told, unfortunately. They have not been educated to think for themselves or to behave rationally in a mature enough manner to effectively manage the country themselves. If only we had a leader such as Singapore, such an advanced developed nation, has had for so many years, a benevolent autocrasy in effect. How would Thailand, a country without a definitive prospect of ever becoming developed, compare to Singapore today? Somewhat differently I expect. After this election roll on the next coup...12 successful coups and 7 attempted coups since 1932. This link has an interesting article on the reasons for coups in Thailand...I'm sure it wont be long unless the winning party drastically tackles the issues that cause them.

https://www.vox.com/cards/thailand-coup-problem/here-are-the-three-big-causes-of-thailands-coup

So you believe that 19 coups though only 12 successful ones prove that the military are the only people that can run the country? If they were so good and so successful why did they have 19 coups in 86 years. If they had got it right there would have only been the need for one.

The only good thing that I can say about them is that they stopped the street violence. They promised many things after they took over starting with ending corruption, the reform of the police and the civil service (though strangely nothing was said about reforming the bloated military), none of which has happened over the last 4 years.

One of the reasons for the coup was the attempt by the PTP to get an amnesty for Thaksin. What was the first thing that the coup leaders granted themselves? A complete amnesty for ALL past, present and future actions without any end date.

You are looking forward to the next coup you say then I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you join the current lot when their amnesties are cancelled by the will of the people.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It's been the most stable 4 years in Thailand that I can recall. After the elections, how long do you think before the juvenile political parties start to progress towards the same chaos, disruption, and deadly outcomes that preceded this government?

In Thailand, if you work for the government you are a "kha ratcha karn", literally means servant of the monarch. I am of the belief that both elected political officials, non-elected and military personnel believe themselves to be of this special class and have no interests in listening to what the "little people' have to say. All govts, past and present, both military or political, have been made up of these people who have served themselves in the opinion that they deserve it. There has not yet been a govt that truly represented the people because in Thailand the law has never been allowed to rise above their interests. Wealthy and powerful individuals have contracted, by payment, the upper echelons of the 'Justice' system to act or ignore as suggested. Singapore doesn't suffer social inequality, their police would never had stood by and watched demonstrations turn into occupations and intelligence is a much sought after quality in both politics and business. They are not blighted by a 200 year old system that thrives on patronage and corruption.

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

In Thailand, if you work for the government you are a "kha ratcha karn", literally means servant of the monarch. I am of the belief that both elected political officials, non-elected and military personnel believe themselves to be of this special class and have no interests in listening to what the "little people' have to say. All govts, past and present, both military or political, have been made up of these people who have served themselves in the opinion that they deserve it. There has not yet been a govt that truly represented the people because in Thailand the law has never been allowed to rise above their interests. Wealthy and powerful individuals have contracted, by payment, the upper echelons of the 'Justice' system to act or ignore as suggested. Singapore doesn't suffer social inequality, their police would never had stood by and watched demonstrations turn into occupations and intelligence is a much sought after quality in both politics and business. They are not blighted by a 200 year old system that thrives on patronage and corruption.

I agree with you 100% but It wasn't me that you quoted.

I was replying to jkcjag and it was his quote and I certainly didn't agree with any of it.

I will accept your apologies accompanied by a stack of 1,000 baht notes 2 foot high. ?:whistling:

On 9/16/2018 at 4:38 PM, jkcjag said:

Many us have the same view about you.  Why would a westerner, who enjoyed the fruits of a participatory government, that has provided a stellar education, not want the same for the humble Thai ?  

The Juvenile parties only fault was in their popularity and their wanting to pardon Thaksin.   Those are the reasons for the coups.  Why couldn't Yingluck just be impeached.  She was guilty in a cover up similar to Richard Nixon. Why didn't the army just impeach her then have another election ?  They wanted power for themselves. 

It will take 40-60 years before Thailand has developed enough ?  Part of development is the cycle of trial and error or failure, best education there is.  The US, Brittan, China, Vietnam all had civil wars or warring states.  They developed.  That 40-60 year development plateau you believe in will not happen under the status quo. They will remain as they are, marginalized.  The military has had 4 long years and A44, and they have done nothing for education.

Lee Kwan Yao, far less of a hero than Lee Dun Hwei.  Lee Dun Hwei was the Japanese soldier who brought representative government to Taiwan.  Taiwan elections are a far better model than Singapore.  Malaysia has turned the corner as well just recently in a story book election.  Why would you deny the Thai people what Taiwan and Malaysia enjoy ?     

"I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." --Thomas Jefferson to William C. Jarvis, 1820. ME 15:278

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin

Have never heard anything moving from those who would follow usurpers. 

13 hours ago, baboon said:

Independent from what? A say?

Another one that doesn't keep [if at all] company with Thais nor terribly observant regarding their everyday lives.

Instead, commuting back-n-forth, pretending to understand Thai and Thai affairs. 

6 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Another one that doesn't keep [if at all] company with Thais nor terribly observant regarding their everyday lives.

Instead, commuting back-n-forth, pretending to understand Thai and Thai affairs. 

No answer, in other words. Just something you made up.

Archived