Stresses of buying a bike in Thailand

recom273

1.2 is nothing , they usually try 3-5%.

thats thai way to pass on costs. But then again thai charges and taxes applied I do not blame them and do the same myself .

did you know on top of EDC machine fees, money gets taxed automatically as well? Some transaction tax, another about 1-2%

Picked out a scooter at Honda, did paper work,  went to the bank and got 50,000 baht. Counted it out on the desk.  Took a photo.

that was it.

Bar girls love that photo. :clap2:

Did the same thing for my Kawasaki 650 Big Bike 323,000 baht in cash. 

Bar girls really love that photo. :cheesy:

no need to stress, its only 620 baht or go to the bank and get cash. They dont pressure you to use the card.

Totally agree (actually it was 2.8%, so it’s only 1400b) suck it up and make the sale, i even offered to meet them half way. There’s still plenty of meat on the bone to make some profit.

Yes, they don’t pressure me to use a card, but getting me to walk across the bank to draw out the maximum daily allowance then scratching around to find another 1500b is hardly encouraging customers to spend money is it?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No need to stress... 

I thought i was was going to get an air-miles pay day when buying a car recently until I found out they’d charge 3% for my credit card.

What is the advantage of paying with a debit card? Points towards air-miles etc??? Otherwise just transfer the cash with an online banking app.. or go to the Bank & withdraw. 

No need to stress... 

I thought i was was going to get an air-miles pay day when buying a car recently until I found out they’d charge 3% for my credit card.

What is the advantage of paying with a debit card? Points towards air-miles etc??? Otherwise just transfer the cash with an online banking app.. or go to the Bank & withdraw. 

Yes, of course, no need to stress.

I was just wondering if this was the standard. I don’t think i paid a charge at Kawasaki.

57 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Totally agree (actually it was 2.8%, so it’s only 1400b) suck it up and make the sale, i even offered to meet them half way. There’s still plenty of meat on the bone to make some profit.

Yes, they don’t pressure me to use a card, but getting me to walk across the bank to draw out the maximum daily allowance then scratching around to find another 1500b is hardly encouraging customers to spend money is it?

The mentality is very different in asian countries vs western countries.  Back home its all about making the sale custumer service even throwing in freebies to get the sale.  Here they believe the product sells itself and no need for customer service.  I went through renos and purchasing new motor vehicles without a hint of a discount until oneday I went to a competitor and wanted to purchase all from him instead of going to 2 suppliers.  I asked for a discount and was flatly refused as I was spending quite a bit of money.  Frustrated I blurted out I could get that same item 2000 baht cheaper up the road (it really was 1000).  I thought that fell on deaf ears next minute she is calling head office and boom I just got it for 2000bht cheaper.  Here its all about loss of face vs customer service.

58 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

The mentality is very different in asian countries vs western countries.  Back home its all about making the sale custumer service even throwing in freebies to get the sale.  Here they believe the product sells itself and no need for customer service.  I went through renos and purchasing new motor vehicles without a hint of a discount until oneday I went to a competitor and wanted to purchase all from him instead of going to 2 suppliers.  I asked for a discount and was flatly refused as I was spending quite a bit of money.  Frustrated I blurted out I could get that same item 2000 baht cheaper up the road (it really was 1000).  I thought that fell on deaf ears next minute she is calling head office and boom I just got it for 2000bht cheaper.  Here its all about loss of face vs customer service.

As I explained earlier using cards adds cost to the dealer, on top of EDC charge there is also transaction tax deducted automatically by the bank and no it’s not much different to the West when buying high price items . Cash gets you cheaper price than using cards., and fees for EDC in the West are half if not a third of what it is here and no transaction tax

8 hours ago, BestB said:

As I explained earlier using cards adds cost to the dealer, on top of EDC charge there is also transaction tax deducted automatically by the bank and no it’s not much different to the West when buying high price items . Cash gets you cheaper price than using cards., and fees for EDC in the West are half if not a third of what it is here and no transaction tax

Re read all my posts.  My first post said what you just wrote my second was saying how to get a better deal playing dealer A against dealer B and C.  You should try it vs thinking hey I just saved a few bob by running to the bank getting cash,  they wont give you a real deal cause your dangling cash.  The only flip side is some dealers here can own a few franchises.

17 hours ago, recom273 said:

Why mess around with cards. Take the dealer's bank details and do a Bank transfer then print of a copy of the Transfer Slip to prove payment. I do this all the time for larger purchases whether it be mc or household furniture etc. It is quick easy and reliable.

14 hours ago, moe666 said:

Whats to stress if you want the scooter buy it one way or the other, the dealer cares less he will sale it to someone who doesn't complain so mut

I have to agree. Seems a lot of Farangs in Thailand have to have something to be  "stressing" about.

I bought at least 7 motorbikes in this country, 4 from dealerships. I went into the shop with my money and bought the bike, end of story.

They asked if I wanted them to do the "change of ownership" for me for around an extra 1,500 Bt. but could have to wait about two weeks. I decline and do it myself in one afternoon.

20 hours ago, BestB said:

thats thai way to pass on costs. But then again thai charges and taxes applied I do not blame them and do the same myself .

did you know on top of EDC machine fees, money gets taxed automatically as well? Some transaction tax, another about 1-2%

Normally 3-5%, since POS machines and fees must be paid. I get 5% discount a Tokyu paying cash, so their punters are paying 5% too much.

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

I would always pay cash for a bike. Using a card just opens you up to potential problems. No stress at all.

Right. BTW, if you can't knock that 2000 off with a polite smile, and pay 50000 even, you're dumb. No-one pays 52000.

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Picked out a scooter at Honda, did paper work,  went to the bank and got 50,000 baht. Counted it out on the desk.  Took a photo.

that was it.

Bar girls love that photo. :clap2:

Did the same thing for my Kawasaki 650 Big Bike 323,000 baht in cash. 

Bar girls really love that photo. :cheesy:

I should have taken a picture then when I counted out 750,000 in cash when I bought my Harley a few years ago.

Made numerous trips to the bank to get cash advances on my credit card (as all my cash was in my Canadian bank at the time). Couldn't get more than 200,000 baht at a time, regardless of the limit on my gold card. (Even though I made the credit card payments in advance and had a "credit" on the card, the SOBs still charged me a "cash advance" fee !)

Then, on the day, I had a friend of mine drive me up to Chon Buri. 750,000 baht sitting in a brown paper bag under the seat.

Gave it to the woman at the shop. She counted it out and then just dumped it into a desk drawer and gave me the book for the motorcycle.

I've bought other motorcycles (scooters) direct from dealers. Walked in, browsed, picked one I liked. Asked the price, paid cash on the spot. No hassles, no extra charges. The only annoyance was the one time when I had to get a new Certificate of Residence because the one I had was over a month old.

Well that and the whole bit about having to wait to get a white plate. 

I mean seriously. When you but a new vehicle in Canada, you get a proper plate to go with it right at the dealership (as well as insurance and registration) so that you are legal the moment you drive off the lot. No BS about having a "temp" plate and having to wait (8-12 weeks in some cases) to get a normal plate.

But, as others have mentioned, the real stress comes when you start riding around !

20 hours ago, BestB said:

It's not the "Thai way" it's the business way. You think your credit card is free? You pay for it AND the vendor pays ~5% fee for POS equipment and the joy of your business, so he ups prices by about 5%. I pay cash and get a 5% discount. Get it? The difference is foreigners are so dumb so pay the CC price for cash. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

if buying the bike stresses you out, wait until you get out on the highway... just sayin.

Right. I've owned four bikes in Thailand, used to race them in Oz. Thailand is far more dangerous. Watch out for elephants and buffaloes. They don't obey the rules.

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Any excuse to get that few extra baht.

Seems "app" transfer is getting more popular these days too.?

Use K Bank they all have it. I just brought a NINJA 400 195k free 1st class insurance. He wanted 500 for a red plate. NO 195 OK OK he said we pay 

Yes you pay lol

tell me when I am wrong:

I was told with the fierce competition in this business, margins are very low and they make more money with financing and interests, which are very.

They are apparently even not so much interested in cash payments.

That's what I heard.

2 minutes ago, ckry said:

tell me when I am wrong:

I was told with the fierce competition in this business, margins are very low and they make more money with financing and interests, which are very.

They are apparently even not so much interested in cash payments.

That's what I heard.

In Pattaya , Mytions do not have much competition , but you are right margins are low .

saying that , watchara once had sale, tricity which is 82000 selling for 57000.

nothing wrong , brand new.

no idea if sale from Yamaha or selling at a loss or really that much mark up 

Archived