U.S. imposes sanctions on Thai company it accuses of aiding Iran

rooster59

U.S. imposes sanctions on Thai company it accuses of aiding Iran

800x800 (9).jpg

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin arrives at a White House reception for Congressional Medal of Honor recipients in the East Room of the White in Washington, U.S., September 12, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Friday imposed sanctions against a Thai aviation company that it said was acting on behalf of Iran's Mahan Air, which it accused of ferrying troops and supplies into Syria in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The fresh actions target My Aviation Company Ltd in Bangkok and modifies sanctions against Malaysia-based Mahan Travel and Tourism, a U.S. Treasury statement said. Mahan Air is already under U.S. sanctions.

"Mahan Air continues to fly into Syria every week, even as millions of innocent civilians in Idlib province are under threat of imminent attack from the murderous Assad regime and its backers in Iran and Russia," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.

The sanctions come as Turkey said on Friday it was talking to all parties in the Syrian conflict, including Iran and Russia, to prevent a Syrian government offensive on Idlib province.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-15

Interesting...

I would have thought that any Thai company sanctioned would have had it done quietly and on the sly, yet here is a public slap down.

I wonder if the actions against the Thai company (likely military-linked) portend a tighter, less-tolerant policy towards the kingdom? Is the US losing patience a bit with the Junta? 

This has all the hallmarks of a 'signal'; I wonder what precisely it is meant to convey, to whom specifically, and what will the response be?

Questions, questions...

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Interesting...

I would have thought that any Thai company sanctioned would have had it done quietly and on the sly, yet here is a public slap down.

I wonder if the actions against the Thai company (likely military-linked) portend a tighter, less-tolerant policy towards the kingdom? Is the US losing patience a bit with the Junta? 

This has all the hallmarks of a 'signal'; I wonder what precisely it is meant to convey, to whom specifically, and what will the response be?

Questions, questions...

Answer...…...It's all a misunderstanding.

13 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I think you are on to something good here..

China and Thailand drop US trading and get out of the US market maybe Canadian and Europes to ok. Then Asia trades with Asians and Caucasians trade with caucasians. . No more Asian cars in US ,Canada etc all European  and American cars. China junk goes to Thailand not US and Canada. All economies grow on their own.

The good thing would be USA, stop the war machine,stop sanctions and invading countries,arming so called rebels to topple legitimate elected governments.,start looking in their own back yard.    

Keep china and all the world trading, if you cant compete get out the market,Asia will dominate the writing is on the wall

48 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Don't look for logics and sound reasoning when it comes to the US vs, many countries, nay, almost every country in the world that are being supported and fed with US monies, protections and support, it's like big daddy ask, little kid should obliged...

The US doesn't care about whether a country has a military dictatorship or a democracy. It's aim throughout the world is influence and control. It is militarily active in over 80 countries.

The number one important thing is the protection of the dollar (petro-dollar) worldwide

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Interesting...

Questions, questions...

I think you give both sides far too much credit for cognitive activity.  Their actions are reflexive at best;  one hates Iran while the other takes money from whomever without thinking too much.    

11 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

I think you give both sides far too much credit for cognitive activity.  Their actions are reflexive at best;  one hates Iran while the other takes money from whomever without thinking too much.    

An excellent point (as always!), YB.

However, I think there is a nuance here.

Your analysis is correct at the leadership level, but the 'staff' level of each country does actually deserve some respect. Unfortunately, as they are experts, they likely won't rise to the top.

What a messed up world we live in...

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Thailand might bite back. I spit milk out of my nose. Thanks for the laugh.

You might well have had a  laugh Nick; righty so. I did the same with my cup of rosy. But if, as lovelomsak suggests, Thailand trades with its Asian friends exclusively, I reckon China will be the 'big brother' to all its 'partners'.

Disrespect my cat at your peril; he has big cousins.

5 minutes ago, xerostar said:

The reason Mahan Air wants to help Iran is because it's owned by Muslims.

Malasia is Sunni, Iran is Shiite. Sworn enemies and the root of most conflicts currently in the Middle East. 

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

The US doesn't care about whether a country has a military dictatorship or a democracy. It's aim throughout the world is influence and control. It is militarily active in over 80 countries.

The number one important thing is the protection of the dollar (petro-dollar) worldwide

Absolutely. Love what Junnker said during the week. Why is the EU paying for Russian gas in US $? The US supplies less than 10% of EU energy. You answered this question correctly sir. TERROR and the treat of it, swathed in the flag, home of the brave and a f.......up version of freedom never intended by our forefathers.. Stepford pure and simple.

"Mahan Air continues to fly into Syria every week, even as millions of innocent civilians in Idlib province are under threat of imminent attack from the murderous Assad regime and its backers in Iran and Russia," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.

difficult to imagine a more hypocritical statement.

the civilians there are so innocent that Idlib needs to be attacked by the army.

meanwhile, the US greenlighted Turkey's attack on truly innocent Kurds allied with the US.

1 hour ago, myfriendu said:

The good thing would be USA, stop the war machine,stop sanctions and invading countries,arming so called rebels to topple legitimate elected governments.,start looking in their own back yard.    

Keep china and all the world trading, if you cant compete get out the market,Asia will dominate the writing is on the wall

Nice to still have some commies around ?

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Which is further supported by Thailand's silence over the genocide in Myanmar!

2 hours ago, bubba45 said:

I keep hoping the US imposes tariffs on Thai imports the way the Thais tax everything.  Would be funny to see them jump if the US put 100% tariffs on Thai seafood, for example.  I say hit them all hard everywhere.

Yes they been robbing Thais for decades and keeping the money. Tax the Thai government hard

Oh well, I can see the Chinese/Russian Alliance growing by one more member.  Iran is being pushed towards it at a hundred miles an hour.  My recollection of my time serving in the military in Vietnam was that the US didn't concern itself with civilian deaths when they bombed and shot up everything they could.  Just ask any Iraqi whether or not the US carefully bombed the shit out of everything there.  It always amazes me when the knuckleheads in the US Government system make statements.  They must think that the world has a memory span of only a couple of days.  I have made a large number of US friends over the years and have found them to be great people, many are worried about the over reach of their government though.  The ruling class in the US is a long way removed from the person in the street who is often working two jobs or more to survive and paying huge health premiums that often destroy families.

Closer ties with China will only mean more tourists from there which will offset any problems the US might impose.

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Several off topic, inflammatory posts and replies to them have been removed.

And now a comment on moderation and replies quoting some of the removed posts after they were removed.

The is the Thailand news forum not the world news forum. Bringing world politics into this topic is off topic.

Archived