SURVEY: Conscript deaths--A problem or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Conscript deaths--A problem or not?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been several suspicious deaths of conscripts over the past years.   In your opinion does Thailand need to do more to protect conscripts from abuse?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Here is a link to a recent thread which details the most recent and also past deaths:

My older son went through US Marine Corps boot camp training in the hottest part of the summer in South Carolina.  On the final 24 hour ordeal, "The Crucible", he fell out from heat stroke.  He subsequently made it, but after being hospitalized for several days.  Very serious.  Marathon runners have died from same, and no one was forcing them.  Hyponatremia

My son was a volunteer.  Most of the Thai guys are conscripts as I gather, so they have no choice.  Lowest of the low.

The problem is that there seems to be no control in the ranks to eliminate this because the government backs the military in it's denial of a problem.Just maybe there would be a wake up in the ranks if one of the recruits would do what that Marine trainee did in the movie "Full metal jacket"

16 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

the government backs the military in it's denial of a problem.

Well, the government currently is the military.

And when it's not, the military always holds the position of Defense Ministry in the Cabinet as well as the Permanent Secretary of Defense. Add to that the military will appoint the next Senate which will include seats for the members of the current junta for a five-year period.

It's the mentality of the guys doing the fighting that is the problem.

It very quickly develops into 3 or 4 onto 1 as we all know combined with the 'don't know when to stop' mentality. That's something that can't be changed overnight, if ever.

Start a fight, in my days in the army, and 99% of the time you were pulled apart and stuck in a boxing ring that evening to sort it, in training anyway.

Depends on what you define as a problem. A few croaking out of 65M isn't a problem on a big scale, even if half were to kick the bucket this second, still no ploplem, probably an improvement.

Unless it's about human rights or other such evil farang inventions. They don't do them here: https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/thailand

Archived