Chiang Mai's "Hanging Wires" as bad as ever after Japanese expose

rooster59

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

There's only one way to fix this and thats to put everything underground . 

but that changes the rating of the cable as they run hotter underground so will have to be resized and that means bigger cables..you cant just bury them underground willy nilly

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Can you run electricity cables with fiber optic?  Don't think internet cables are much of a problem.  The rats and squirrels eat the fiber optic ones on a regular basis in my soi.  Do they do the same with copper?

that's an urban myth. fiber optic cables have have an extremely tough insulation with contains also a steel core. no delicacy for rats or squirrel. we installed privately twice 700 meters. that's the reason i know what i'm talking about.

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:
11 hours ago, keith101 said:

There's only one way to fix this and thats to put everything underground . 

but that changes the rating of the cable as they run hotter underground so will have to be resized and that means bigger cables.

sorry Einstein, au contraire!

9 hours ago, Naam said:

that's an urban myth. fiber optic cables have have an extremely tough insulation with contains also a steel core. no delicacy for rats or squirrel. we installed privately twice 700 meters. that's the reason i know what i'm talking about.

I repair guy brought me the squirrel chewed cable that was eaten to document what had happened.  That plus I watched the squirrel eat them.  Happened 3 times.  Same chewing.  Another cable company has much sturdier wire and I've never seen their company with the same problem.  3bb is thin wire and the other one is very thick. 

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Can you run electricity cables with fiber optic?  Don't think internet cables are much of a problem.  The rats and squirrels eat the fiber optic ones on a regular basis in my soi.  Do they do the same with copper?

Rats are known to chomp on power cables. 

It's the coating.

Some countries add a vermin proofing.

Not here I would think.

Fibre optic is as it's name suggests,  optical.

Low frequency pulses or lightwave transmission. 

It's possible to put energy through fibre optic but not at the same values as high voltage cables.

Without too much technical, it would need to be translated to light and back to power, although some electric is present in the fibre optic systems, meaning precautions should be observed. Laser light especially. 

Interestingly,  the same standards apply to installation of fibre optic systems as electrical voltage cables..

Which seems to also leave much to be desired in Thailand. 

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I wish I could say the same, I live just outside Udon Thani. I've kept track of our power outages.

So far, in the last five years we've had 58 power outages, ranging from five minutes to ten hours.

Just to add to my earlier post: Had another power outage today - 3.5 hrs, bringing the total to 59.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I repair guy brought me the squirrel chewed cable that was eaten to document what had happened.  That plus I watched the squirrel eat them.  Happened 3 times.  Same chewing.  Another cable company has much sturdier wire and I've never seen their company with the same problem.  3bb is thin wire and the other one is very thick. 

Totally depends on the quality and application. 

Heavier optic cables have multiple fibres, sheathing,  insulation and light proofing. Plus water resistant features.

Many providers use multiple supply cables with a steel wire inserted to offset the weight and possibility of stretching. 

A fttx system is 100% optic,  with a possible small personal in feed  to your router or home.

Fttn is optic to the node, and may well be copper a short distance to the home.

Your home feed would normally be a single optic cable. 

Cheap as..

What you see in the air everywhere is not what comes to your home entry point.

Some companies run the cable and fibre optic together. 

Certainly a much heavier cable assembly. 

Like said home fibre optic is about the thickness of a straw.

A multi fibre cable is pictured. 

This would not come to your home.

Splicing and joining is a technical job too.

Something not demonstrated too well in Thailand either.

Screenshot_20180916-142011.jpg

On 9/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, watcharacters said:

Or get each company to remove  unused cables/wires and or properly support them.

Going underground would be wonderful but don't you really believe  that just be wishful thinking?

They are already putting cables below ground in different areas of CM

On 9/15/2018 at 6:27 PM, bluesofa said:

I wish I could say the same, I live just outside Udon Thani. I've kept track of our power outages.

So far, in the last five years we've had 58 power outages, ranging from five minutes to ten hours.

please post us a list ......including how long for each outage.   its raining today and i need something to read

Woke up this morning with all those darn birds chirping.   Threw on a pair of shorts and some flip flops and hopped on

my old putt putt motorcycle.  Didn't put on a helmet cause if i wanna kill myself...well,  who cares ?  Certainly my neighbors did not run out of their houses yelling at me about what is right or wrong.  Went down to the local market and bought a kilo of fresh tomatoes....none of that green stuff that comes from a thousand miles away.  Paid  20 baht a kilo as opposed to probably 4 times that amount in a "first world " country.   Came back and ground my coffee beans  for a fresh brew.  Electric worked just fine.   ((just to stay on topic).   Y'all have a nice day now,  

Archived