Chiang Mai's "Hanging Wires" as bad as ever after Japanese expose

rooster59

Chiang Mai's "Hanging Wires" as bad as ever after Japanese expose

ASFs-696x382.jpg

Image: Chiang Mai News

Chiang Mai News reported that the infamous hanging wires of Thailand were as bad as ever. 

Following a news story that featured on Japanese Television's last year things are still terrible. 

The Japanese could barely believe the dangers that lay in wait for motorcyclists in particular on the northern capital's streets after the story featured on the ANN network show in August 2017. 

A video made by CMN yesterday showed an area in Saraphi where one of the wires had come loose. 

Above people's heads it was still a mass of unsightly jumbled cables and wires. 

The Thai government is supposed to be addressing the problem in certain areas of Chiang Mai and other provincial cities.

The Bangkok governor said this week that much of the hanging wires in the capital would be a thing of the past by 2021. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-15

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvNjY1LzMzMjk2MjYvNi5qcGc-696x418.jpg

S__6029413-696x522.jpg

S__6029415-696x522.jpg

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO3RUCGNNV856cAoK3-696x392.jpg

4 minutes ago, keith101 said:

There's only one way to fix this and thats to put everything underground . 

Or get each company to remove  unused cables/wires and or properly support them.

Going underground would be wonderful but don't you really believe  that just be wishful thinking?

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Bangkok governor said this week that much of the hanging wires in the capital would be a thing of the past by 2021. 

Three years! That's not even enough time for a committee to screw enough expenses out of the system.

I think it much more likely the governor will be a thing of the past by 2021. The hanging gardens wires of Babylon Chiang Mai will still be here long after the governor.

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Or get each company to remove  unused cables/wires and or properly support them.

Going underground would be wonderful but don't you really believe  that just be wishful thinking?

The real question is Why was this ever done ion this way in tho first place? Think of the thousands of miles of wire that was not needed  that had to cost somebody all that money. Oh I guess that since the public has absolutely no input in how the government spends their money,then the wire companies just over charge with the governments approval  thus accounting for all the extra wires.':Imagined scene : Contractor to government official " Kung Lon I am charging you for 10 miles of wire installed today on Pasat road that i used there .Governor to contractor'But it was only a need for six miles of wire,hummm never mind as I am charging the public 3 times extra per foot of wire..Contractor well I left the other 4 miles hanging just in case that we may need to show where the other four miles went"

Interesting.  Who owns the utility poles?  Who is responsible for the integrity/safety for the utility poles?  Remove all material not approved for use on the utility poles.  Inform authorized users of the poles, to install correctly/maintain, or lose the right to use.   

Should keep a few hammock zombies busy until the next coup (at least)...

2 hours ago, connda said:

Looks like pictures of US cities in the 1920s.  Shows how far behind the Thais are.

Burying power lines costs roughly US$1 million per mile, but the geography or population density of the service area can halve this cost or triple it. In the wake of a statewide ice storm in December 2002, the North Carolina Utilities Commission and the electric utilities explored the feasibility of burying the state’s distribution lines underground and concluded that the project would take 25 years to complete and increase electricity rates by 125 percent. The project was never begun, as the price increase was not seen as reasonable for consumers.

https://theconversation.com/should-the-us-put-power-lines-underground-83771

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Easements: Where wires can be placed may depend on if easements already exist or whether utilities must compensate landowners to gain utility easements on their property. The requirement to pay owners for their land and for any damage sustained during installation will also dramatically increase the costs associated with underground lines.

Greater difficulty in making changes or expanding their electrical system.

Maintenance: Underground wires and equipment are less accessible

The elements:They’re susceptible to flooding and can still be affected by lightning. Residents may believe installing lines below ground will decrease weather-related outages, but in some regions this won’t be the case.

https://solutions.borderstates.com/why-are-power-lines-almost-always-above-ground/

60% of the electrical system for Florida Power & Light, the nation's third largest utility, is located above ground.

Replacing overhead lines, the task force found, would take a quarter century and $41 billion, increasing average residential customer bills by 125%.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/14/us/underground-power-lines-trnd/index.html

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Hi Keith, going underground is pretty difficult in a built up city, a better plan would be to use overhead cable that has a suspension wire built in, then all you have to do is to have a hook on every pole and a junction box.....the cable is safely hung well above the footpath!

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

60% of the electrical system for Florida Power & Light, the nation's third largest utility, is located above ground.

Replacing overhead lines, the task force found, would take a quarter century and $41 billion, increasing average residential customer bills by 125%.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/14/us/underground-power-lines-trnd/index.html

Well yeah that is the US, which seems to be not much better than Thailand then.

When I worked for the national telephone company in my country, now 39 years ago, all communication cables were underground already.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the wires are a perfect graphic representation of how things are done in Thailand.

what matters... it works! whether it's electricity or communication. we experienced in Florida more power outages in single years during the months june till august then in all the 14 years  since we live in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

what matters... it works! whether it's electricity or communication. we experienced in Florida more power outages in single years during the months june till august then in all the 14 years  since we live in Thailand.

I wish I could say the same, I live just outside Udon Thani. I've kept track of our power outages.

So far, in the last five years we've had 58 power outages, ranging from five minutes to ten hours.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Cost effectively?

Not really, because the power goes off nearly every time it rains, or a vehicle hits a power pole , and staff are sent out to carry out repairs. They do not seem to mind that thousands of customers are without power sometimes for hours at a time.  Often the method of repair appears to be to locate the offending cable, then ignore it and install a new one, leaving an additional roll of cable attached, just in case.

I cringe when I see the "electricians" merely leaning their bamboo ladders up against the cables in order to carry out a repair.  Safety last!

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I wish I could say the same, I live just outside Udon Thani. I've kept track of our power outages.

So far, in the last five years we've had 58 power outages, ranging from five minutes to ten hours.

Somewhat similar where I live in Hua HIn and our village is only 12 years old, but nevertheless is complete with untidy wires and many hanging cables from the main transformer.  Nobody seems to have any pride in their work.

Though Thailand was never “colonized” ; thus never being taught how to hang utility wires of such (including the advantage of having sidewalks along a soi) it is a disappointment the Japanese did not share their “expertise “ when occupying Thailand during WWII showing the Thais how to do things more orderly. 

It's a Thailand wide problem. 

But one fibre optic can replace the need for all this copper. 

Regulation should be that all copper must be taken down before fibre optic can be put up. 

If its obsolete remove it. 

Theres plenty of these cable triggers around.

I have four True Van's parked in my soi every night. 

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

It's a Thailand wide problem. 

But one fibre optic can replace the need for all this copper. 

Regulation should be that all copper must be taken down before fibre optic can be put up. 

If its obsolete remove it. 

Theres plenty of these cable triggers around.

I have four True Van's parked in my soi every night. 

Can you run electricity cables with fiber optic?  Don't think internet cables are much of a problem.  The rats and squirrels eat the fiber optic ones on a regular basis in my soi.  Do they do the same with copper?

2 hours ago, toenail said:

Though Thailand was never “colonized” ; thus never being taught how to hang utility wires of such (including the advantage of having sidewalks along a soi) it is a disappointment the Japanese did not share their “expertise “ when occupying Thailand during WWII showing the Thais how to do things more orderly. 

The Americans did during the Vietnam war.  Thailand was the communications hub for the American army in South East Asia. 

Archived