In which country should I get married?

JohnBoka

German dating Filipina for past 4 years and both living in Thailand. We are thinking about tying the knot. Where does it make sense to get married (documents/paper/bureaucracy wise)?

Might or might not leave to another country soon not mentioned above (I know, I'm complicated).

Looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance

Philippines perhaps?  There is no divorce currently but that may change - believe paperwork might be easier there than trying to do using a Philippine Embassy (but admit have no real knowledge).  Suspect most will advise against any marriage however.  ?

Not that hard to get married here.

You both would need affirmations of permit to marry from your embassy's.

Then have them translated to a Thai and have the translations certified by the Consular Affairs Department in Bangkok. Most translation offices can get the cerification done for you for a small fee.

Then you would go to a Amphoe (district office) to register your marriage.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Philippines perhaps?  There is no divorce currently but that may change - believe paperwork might be easier there than trying to do using a Philippine Embassy (but admit have no real knowledge).  Suspect most will advise against any marriage however.  ?

this is why, citing own experience from the past - it is 100% better idea to go over to PI to have it done officially!

She cannot do anything underhand, such as hiding her real marriage etc status then...

If she (a filo) is insisting upon tying the know overseas (only) and not domestically in PH,  then warning bells start ringing!

Remember that the -  (they don't have Divorce) - is still current.!

What they have is that a couple can split, and so long as they await 5 years separation, they can still go to pray inside a church on Sundays! without being frowned upon.

My ex 22 years ago was proud to sprout out publicly that she'n'I could never Divorce! and that she could live with whoever she wanted too, after 5 years...

I simply 20 years ago got a Divorce done in falangland - which actually only frees myself to officially tie a know again.

her scheme was not pre-researched enough, to know that I the foreigner could do this!

She's never considered personally Divorced in PH, but that doesn't (didn't stop her from shacking up again, and popping out 3 more kids...

Thee's also nothing stopping her from trying to again go overseas to find yet another victim, and as I mentioned at the start, get married O/S to the next unsuspecting soul...

On 9/17/2018 at 4:47 PM, JohnBoka said:

Where does it make sense to get married (documents/paper/bureaucracy wise)?

The Philippines.

Then you can get a free 1 year VISA every time you enter the country with her, and work if you want to.

As someone else stated, it makes sure she isn't already married there as well.

All the negatives here aside. You know what you are doing. As a German the easiest way would be to get married in Hong Kong.

I went there myself to get married, as they do not ask for the affidavit to marry from the Embassy but a sworn statement. The marriage is as well recognized by Germany without further registration once you have applied a apostille  by the high court.

Archived