What tourists in Thailand need to know, according to an Aussie expat

webfact

On 9/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Always fun when the aged TV warriors start the "I've been here here since Methuselah was born" nonsense, as if longevity automatically infuses wisdom. 

What they want to hear is what they never get enough of: Thai bashing from a viewpoint of moral, cultural, and intellectual (!) superiority. The article had none so is therefore most unsatisfying.

Edited by BigStar

On 9/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Always fun when the aged TV warriors start the "I've been here here since Methuselah was born" nonsense, as if longevity automatically infuses wisdom. 

don't know why you are singling that group out.   i think the same can be said about almost any demographic here

on this or any forum.   but surely you are an exception  ?

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Nothing wrong with using the word Farang, contrary to what a minority of TV old farts constantly post, it's not pejorative. 

We're talking about ignorant foreigners who only know one word of Thai, and their need to add it into English sentences as often as possible.

Edited by BritManToo

40 minutes ago, BigStar said:

What they want to hear is what they never get enough of: Thai bashing from a viewpoint of moral, cultural, and intellectual (!) superiority. The article had none so is therefore most unsatisfying.

same as my comment above !  in response to this post

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Nothing wrong with using the word Farang, contrary to what a minority of TV old farts constantly post, it's not pejorative. 

Personally, I prefer baxi da.

I am an old farang that has lived here since Methuselah (is that Trinks real name? )  So i guess my opinions are just bitter and stupid.   Same as Spidey the word Farang does not bother me in the least , though explaining that to

those who are offended would be useless.  And i'm sure baxi da goes way over the head of most of the TV faithful whose main language is Dude or Mate.  After all, because we can speak thai we are just arrogant know it alls .   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We're talking about ignorant foreigners who only know one word of Thai, and their need to add it into English sentences as often as possible.

So if someone uses the word "farang", they're an "ignorant foreigner who only know one word of Thai"?

That statement makes you an ignorant foreigner.