The Buddha Returns

chownah

Fortunately, belief of the "blind faith" sort isn't required of Buddhists. You just take the teachings as a working hypothesis to be proven.

I think you hit the nail on the head. you Can take that same approach to the Bible as well.:o

After a nice firmly hit nail on the head you have to spoil it by bringing the bible into it. If an alien where to stumble upon the bible and read it with a clear mind he wouldnt be able to stop laughing all the way home. Where as the Buddas teachings may give him somthing to think about and reflect.

Fortunately, belief of the "blind faith" sort isn't required of Buddhists. You just take the teachings as a working hypothesis to be proven.

I think you hit the nail on the head. you Can take that same approach to the Bible as well.:o

After a nice firmly hit nail on the head you have to spoil it by bringing the bible into it. If an alien where to stumble upon the bible and read it with a clear mind he wouldnt be able to stop laughing all the way home. Where as the Buddas teachings may give him somthing to think about and reflect.

Totally disagree with this. The bible tells the story of God's people Israel. It details human nature 'warts and all', tells us why we die, right from the opening pages promises the redeemer who will redeem us from our failure and details how we can have life everlasting in an eternal kingdom ruled over by a perfect king.

What more do you want?

:o

Since you are the one who put the link into this discussion I'll risk putting in a story.

First of all, my Buddhist training has been in Maitreya and specifically Zen.

I hope that doesn't offend anyone, I mean no offense to anyone.

Just let me give you this story,

Good parable of false humanity, Farang.

I studied Zen for a few years at a gaijin temple in Akasaka -- Tozenji? Forget, long ago. But I loved the monks and the rituals, the round black cushions, the simple chants I could understand in nihongo that told you how to sit, back straight, feet just so. Very kind those monks were.

I think you hit the nail on the head. you Can take that same approach to the Bible as well.:D

The bible tells the story of God's people Israel. It details human nature 'warts and all', tells us why we die, right from the opening pages promises the redeemer who will redeem us from our failure and details how we can have life everlasting in an eternal kingdom ruled over by a perfect king.

Working hypothesis or fact? :o

I think you hit the nail on the head. you Can take that same approach to the Bible as well.:D

I think both the Tipitaka and the Bible contain passages that inspire and passages that puzzle. Both might benefit from better English translations ... :o

The bible tells the story of God's people Israel. It details human nature 'warts and all', tells us why we die, right from the opening pages promises the redeemer who will redeem us from our failure and details how we can have life everlasting in an eternal kingdom ruled over by a perfect king.

It's what I choose to believe as a result of 30 years of Study. I do agree with your translation point above. I am a Hebrew and Greek scholar and that has opened up so many more passages to me.

What utter rubbish sabaijai. If I had time I would give you pages of quotes from the Bible that would make a Pattaya katoy blush. ok how about

4:25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

wise words there i think you will agree!

how about

15:16 And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even.

Remember wash your hands lads!

20:14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

So next time your tempted to have a threesome with the mother-in-law and the wife you will pay with a burning.

I could go on, Im not a Buddhist scholar but I dont think there is any sillyness like this in Buddhist teachings or is their?I think that brings me back to the nail being firmly struck on the head and wish we could have left it at that.

What utter rubbish sabaijai. If I had time I would give you pages of quotes from the Bible that would make a Pattaya katoy blush. ok how about

4:25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

wise words there i think you will agree!

how about

15:16 And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even.

Remember wash your hands lads!

20:14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

So next time your tempted to have a threesome with the mother-in-law and the wife you will pay with a burning.

I could go on, Im not a Buddhist scholar but I dont think there is any sillyness like this in Buddhist teachings or is their?I think that brings me back to the nail being firmly struck on the head and wish we could have left it at that.

We're going off topic here but even if we were to agree that Buddhist scripture is more logical than Christian scripture (Albert Einstein thought so :D), that doesn't mean the Bible isn't worthy of respect. What Christians choose to do with the teachings (and Buddhists with theirs) is another topic altogether, and unrelated to the verses you quoted (which I believe come from the Old Testament, and are therefore not relevant to most New Testament believers, who follow the idea that the coming of Christ 'fulfilled the law', thus making OT moral prescriptions obsolete).

Comparative religion is welcome here as long as the discussion stays civil and respectful, and remains relevant to Buddhism.

Suegha wrote

right from the opening pages promises the redeemer who will redeem us from our failure and details how we can have life everlasting in an eternal kingdom ruled over by a perfect king

SABAIJAI wrote

unrelated to the verses you quoted (which I believe come from the Old Testament, and are therefore not relevant to most New Testament believers,

Suegha includes the whole bible in his statement then Sabaijai regects half of it as irelivent only to be congratulated by Suegha "Well said sabaijai" It looks like faith is realy blind!

Anyway I agree with Suegha here that we have strayed of topic way to far and I will make this my last comment on this thread

Suegha wrote

right from the opening pages promises the redeemer who will redeem us from our failure and details how we can have life everlasting in an eternal kingdom ruled over by a perfect king

SABAIJAI wrote

unrelated to the verses you quoted (which I believe come from the Old Testament, and are therefore not relevant to most New Testament believers,

Suegha includes the whole bible in his statement then Sabaijai regects half of it as irelivent only to be congratulated by Suegha "Well said sabaijai" It looks like faith is realy blind!

Anyway I agree with Suegha here that we have strayed of topic way to far and I will make this my last comment on this thread

I really don't know what your problem is? Selective reading perhaps? I said 'well said' to SABAIJAI as he was trying to teach tolerance and respect - here's his quote,

"Comparative religion is welcome here as long as the discussion stays civil and respectful..."

I still hold with my original comments that the whole of scripture is the word of God: I will, however, add that for some, the reading of the NT is more important, that's their view and they're entitled to it!

I find your comment about my faith being blind, deeply offensive!

Suegha I realy dont want to upset anyone and maybe I have been blunt.

I dont "have a problem" I have never had any faith but as I get older I do like to talk to people that do and find out how people can realy belive in a god for which i can see no evidence

As for selective reading I think it was Cameratta that put forward the "blind faith"first but nobody took offence to it then.

Thiests do seem to take offence very easly when faced with any critisisum but please remember it dose work the other way .I could be offended by the way im told that unless I repent I will burn in hel_l im also an infidel so im on some peoples list that once struck will give them 72 virgins.

Anyway I dont think Buddhists wish me any harm (untill now maybe) and I hope you dont either and these are only words, some badly spelt i must admit, but no malace is intedded towards you.

Thank you

I dont "have a problem" I have never had any faith but as I get older I do like to talk to people that do and find out how people can realy belive in a god for which i can see no evidence

As for selective reading I think it was Cameratta that put forward the "blind faith"first but nobody took offence to it then.

Thiests do seem to take offence very easly when faced with any critisisum but please remember it dose work the other way .I could be offended by the way im told that unless I repent I will burn in hel_l im also an infidel so im on some peoples list that once struck will give them 72 virgins.

Anyway I dont think Buddhists wish me any harm (untill now maybe) and I hope you dont either and these are only words, some badly spelt i must admit, but no malace is intedded towards you.

Thank you

Let's get technical - I have never said to anyone that if they don't repent they will burn in hel_l, and guess what, neither does the bible! (have I even tried to offend you?)

The 'of which I can see no evidence' quote is interesting. Why are you so interested in God and faith? Does that not speak volumes? Is that the 'God gene'? You know there is more to life than this!?!

The bible quotes you provided prove nothing. Each one is a study area in itself - take the Zipporah incident, do you even understand the covenant of circumcision? The bible is deeper than you give it credit!

I am happy though, that you meant me no offence, for that reason none is taken. I wish you nothing but the best.

May your search be fruitful

Suegha

Thank you

Let's get technical - I have never said to anyone that if they don't repent they will burn in hel_l, and guess what, neither does the bible! (have I even tried to offend you?)

The 'of which I can see no evidence' quote is interesting. Why are you so interested in God and faith? Does that not speak volumes? Is that the 'God gene'? You know there is more to life than this!?!

The bible quotes you provided prove nothing. Each one is a study area in itself - take the Zipporah incident, do you even understand the covenant of circumcision? The bible is deeper than you give it credit!

I am happy though, that you meant me no offence, for that reason none is taken. I wish you nothing but the best.

May your search be fruitful

Suegha

So if we are geting technical how about

4:56 Lo! Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment. Lo! Allah is ever Mighty, Wise.

well i disbelive in the great sky god but it looks like he realy wants to piss me off big style.