Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

geovalin

Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise.

Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment in the country, has seen huge leaps of growth in the manufacturing, tourism and gambling industries.

Its geography proves strategic as well for Beijing’s Belt and Road infrastructure push in Asia.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/chinese-influx-pushing-locals-westerners-out-preah-sihanouk

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 19/09
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, phantomfiddler said:

Now isn,t that a surprise ! and it is going to happen in Pattaya also. Many years ago it was full of Farangs spending up to $12,000 a month or more, but look at it now ?

I budget 15,000 baht per day, usually for 35 days or so (accommodation and airfare costs on top of this) and feel that money does not get me anywhere near as "far" in terms of fun and experiences as only 2-3 years ago. 

Traveling to Cambodia, I have found friends that I do not need a lot of money to have fun with - they are happy to just know a westerner, share their language and let me share mine with them. 

I still visit Thailand, but I have started coming less frequently, and shortening my trips drastically by supplimenting them with side sojourns to Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines. 

I see great potential in Cambodia, but only after recognition that change in many forms will make lives for all Cambodians better, the elite included. 

• Like 2