Is this how Thai men friends might see you?

WonnabeBiker

We are both middle aged. He is stable (big new house with a pool, makes 17,000 THB more and the job stability of a government employee with decades of service. Access to loans @ what, 1.x%).

I have liked him and might consider a bone marrow transplant or giving up a kidney for him.

Months ago, he ordered stuff from my home country which cost me some 5,000 THB to ship. Payment  was never mentioned or attempted. But I was his guest and consider that 'paid in full'.

---

Was getting many Buddhist motifs on FB. (What's up with that)?!

Then he informed me that he would accept a loan of 100 - 250 k THB, repayable in 3,000 Baht monthly installments.

• Not so fast. Why? for what? He has access to 1% loans while yours truly needs to cough up 1x%.

- Higher salary

- I have no stability and certainly zero job security

- no credit whatshowever in SE Asia. Not even a WP yet... (this year)

- no, I don't have thousands of Dollars lying around, waiting to invest as a demonstration of the depth of my "friendship" to a fellow biker.

---

Well, he has lambasted me. Scolding my abuse of Thai culture.

No need to give any explanation as to why he wants that much money for years and years. But he likes the idea of interest FREE, unsecured and undocumented loans which are against Thai law.

Words fail me.

Is this typical? A  c a l c u l a t e d  approach to friendship?

Heard from a wonnabe Don Juan who spent hundreds of $ on perfume and stuff before even meeting the woman off a dating website.

Perhaps I should try this approach and request "order 3 foot-long subs", 3 bottles of SPY and crushed ice as I will be coming over next Friday.

Closing, my pension entitlement remains single-digit in $ as I have been self-employed most of my life. Still, he does have debt. But who hasn't?!

Is this how some Thais  c a l c u l a t e  who to befriend, and then have some financial ulterior leit-motif?!?

Archived