Phuket launches plastic-busting initiative

webfact

Phuket launches plastic-busting initiative

By The Nation

64a2bdac3bda6d25d58efc6d11d5dd55-sld.jpe

The Phuket Hotels Association and the US Embassy, through a Science Fellowship Programme, have partnered to tackle waste management challenges in Phuket with a goal to significantly reduce single-use plastics at Phuket’s hotels.

The Phuket Hotel Association’s 65 member properties, representing nearly 11,000 rooms on the island, say they have already reduced the volume and types of single-use plastics in operation and will eliminate the use of plastic water bottles in guest rooms by 2019.

When implemented next year, Phuket will become one of the first tourist destinations in the world to have made such a large commitment to managing marine pollution and addressing the problem.

During the project, Dr Marissa Jablonski, a US waste management expert, investigated plastic use and waste management at the island’s hotels and resorts.

She offered sustainability solutions during 45 site visits, developed a customised best practices list, conducted six workshops for hotel leadership and staff, started a green supplier list, and trained staff on the ground.

Several hotel managers appointed environmental stewards to continue these efforts.

Jablonski also worked with businesses, government and civil society to raise awareness and put forward solutions.

“Our oceans and resources are under tremendous pressure from a variety of threats, including marine pollution,” said outgoing US ambassador to Thailand Glyn Davies.

“By 2050, scientists assess there could be more plastic than fish [by weight] in the ocean if we don’t act. We are proud to bring an expert to engage in this unique public-private partnership with the association to help find practical solutions.”

President of Phuket Hotels Association Anthony Lark said the oceans are choking on plastic and it is our duty to tackle this problem.

“We are thrilled to announce that this project empowered our member hotels to eliminate all plastic water bottles in rooms next year. This represents literally millions of single-use plastic water bottles that will be eliminated from Phuket’s waste stream,” Lark said.

Jablonski will speak on September 24 at the Phuket Hotels for Islands Sustaining Tourism Forum, a new regional sustainability forum for the hospitality sector.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354791

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-19

Whatever happened to those grocery bags made from hemp materials. I think they look cool. Have they smoked all the hemps no more left??

And the other eco-friendly would be canvas type bag. I am talking about the thick cotton canvas cloth type not mixed with any artificial fibers type. This canvas type bag also look cool and they are 100 percent cotton material so could be expensive but then you use it for a long long time, they don't break so easily. Wash it and dry it when dirty.

I am beginning to think walking about with my grocery in plastic bags look silly.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

If you cannot be sure about the tap water then what is your alternative?

The hotels will save money and 7/11 will increase sales. Bottom line - exactly the same amount of plastic bottles floating in the ocean.

Many hotels already offer free drinking water in returnable glass bottles. It's the pay for mineral water that usually comes in plastic bottles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Well if i just chucked all my house waste in the plastic bin down our soi it will stay they cos the rubbish truck will not scoop it out so what am i to to. Central yesterday in tops totally crazy size hemp bags at 157 baht each that will never ever carry a shopping trolly worth of goods. I got a plastic bag for 2 things. But the day they stop giving plastic bags i will not shop there. For me a plastic bag to buy your shopping and the same bag to take rubbish up the road so it gets used twice good uh. Or you want me to BUY black plastic bags to take rubbish up the road. So somebody makes more money. Yes i do not want to see animals get hurt. Perhaps the prison service can get scumbags to take rubbish out of plastic bags then they can do something with the used bags. There is so much more i could say but why bother. Just you keep on smoking and drinking yourselfs to death.

It is in the plural, so should read Yourselves.........and yes I am being facetious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket will become one of the first tourist destinations in the world to have made such a large commitment to managing marine pollution and addressing the problem.

A worthwhile step in the right direction.  However, being one of the first in the world is just another false boast.  There are many destinations where plastic is limited or even banned as in some countries in Africa, some for years.

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's great that something is happening, but why does it seem to be Phuket in the spotlight so much right now regarding this?

Is it a lot of different groups getting involved, or are they all just jumping on the PR bandwagon and rehashing the same initiative?

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=pictures+of+phuket+plastic+pollution&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=cnLPJQgdjLE4-M%3A%2CsmiMSAsoXApoAM%2C_&usg=AFrqEzc7PoDIUsx7ppiaQC91J7lbJ3jQPQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwia2_fO3MjdAhUTU30KHdboA7wQ9QEwCXoECAYQFg#imgdii=cdm7oRWEKQH3_M:&imgrc=o21aJjyoZYuhaM:

3 hours ago, madmitch said:
4 hours ago, prism said:

Many hotels already offer free drinking water in returnable glass bottles. It's the pay for mineral water that usually comes in plastic bottles. 

And it works out cheaper than the plastic bottles so theoretically a win-win.

It does work out cheaper, but I'm not sure it's better.  For one thing, I can see where there would be temptation to refill their own glass bottles without the benefit of a proper wash and filtration system.  I can buy a high volume bottle capper for a few hundred $$$, or as low as $20 for a low volume one.

Also, I don't always drink my bottled water in the hotel.  With reusable glass bottles, that means I have to buy bottled water anyway.  In fact, knowing that I'll get 2 of the 1/2 liter bottles of water with the room, I always buy 2 each of the 1.5 liter bottles at the nearest convenience store for each day I'll be in a hotel.  More if it's a hot day...

As someone else pointed out, I think they're just shifting where the plastic will come from, while saving the hotel some money.  Which, I guess is a win.

The real solution is proper waste management.  But that costs money which can be hijacked by corrupt officials.  And that goes to the true core of the problem.  Not plastic bottles and bags...

• Like 1

Somebody better clue in the global corporations.  It's not like consumers lobbied corporations to use plastic.  Like myself, I was just fine with paper bags and recyclable glass bottles and adding a cost to the bottles and bags that could be reclaimed with their reused/recycle.  Nope, Big Corp pretty much jammed plastic down the consumers throats.  So it's disingenuous to blame consumers.  Like the "War On Drug" - go to the source!  Sanction those who make it and not the end-users.  If you dry up the supply at the source, the problem is pretty much solved.

"Bad consumers, bad consumers!"  Bunk
Why don't governments ban plastic?  Because their corporate sponsors would lose money.  Plain and simple.

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Why don't governments ban plastic?  Because their corporate sponsors would lose money.

Many governments have already banned plastic, some for years.,

11 countries in Africa alone with Rwanda banning them over 10 years ago.

Countries in Asia with bans or taxes:

China, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Taiwan.

There are bans or taxes in Australia, Europe, North America and South America.

The measures put across in the UK claim a 90% reduction in plastic bags.

Sorry, but Thailand stands out like a sore thumb.

• Haha 1

Some states in Australia recently banned the free plastic carry bags that were supplied by the shops.Now they are selling plastic carry bags for 15 cents each with their company logo all over them,The result is a profit of 90million $$ for the big supermarkets  what a joke !! I wonder who lobbied the government for the ban ??

Solution to water bottle pollution is simple really BUT must have MANDATORY REGULAR inspection/testing of vending water machines (admittedly BIG challenge for Thailand) AND significant deposit charge on bottled water sold at retail like starting at 10 baht on a half litre and progressively increasing on the larger sizes. 

Thais would be catching the empties before they hit the ground to collect the deposit. 

On 9/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, helloagain said:

Well if i just chucked all my house waste in the plastic bin down our soi it will stay they cos the rubbish truck will not scoop it out so what am i to to. Central yesterday in tops totally crazy size hemp bags at 157 baht each that will never ever carry a shopping trolly worth of goods. I got a plastic bag for 2 things. But the day they stop giving plastic bags i will not shop there. For me a plastic bag to buy your shopping and the same bag to take rubbish up the road so it gets used twice good uh. Or you want me to BUY black plastic bags to take rubbish up the road. So somebody makes more money. Yes i do not want to see animals get hurt. Perhaps the prison service can get scumbags to take rubbish out of plastic bags then they can do something with the used bags. There is so much more i could say but why bother. Just you keep on smoking and drinking yourselfs to death.

We go around the market with a UK type carrier bag and the little lady loves it .

All the local market people just put the vegetables in the carrier bag.

They think its brilliant. 

So do we.

But we are running out of bags to put the rubbish in now...

On 9/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, impulse said:

I notice they were pretty stingy with the details.  Like, where will the guests get their drinking water?  

Hotels all over the world are increasing their bottom lines and disguising it as "green".  My vision of their solution is "no drinking water in the rooms".  Then they go around congratulating themselves on a job well done...

I can just see the sale of drinking water skyrocketing in Phuket.  Unless, of course, someone's making a killing on refilling glass bottles, which is an environmental and safety nightmare all its own.  

The problem isn't the plastic.  The problem is the lack of facilities to manage waste, including plastics.  But also including sewage, food waste, tires, and a myriad of other waste streams that cost money to handle properly.

Just returned from a plastic covered beach in Phuket and my hotel was using glass bottles for water . Much preferred option to plastic. Can’t see any nightmares from recycling and refilling just cleaner beaches.

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

Just returned from a plastic covered beach in Phuket and my hotel was using glass bottles for water . Much preferred option to plastic. Can’t see any nightmares from recycling and refilling just cleaner beaches.

Never stepped on a broken glass bottle at the pool or at the beach?  I have, and it cut my foot to the bone.  Strangely, I've never been cut by a broken plastic bottle.

And did you do a test on your glass bottled water to make sure you got good, filtered water, and not just refilled with tap water with a cheap cap?

On 9/23/2018 at 11:03 AM, dallen52 said:

We go around the market with a UK type carrier bag and the little lady loves it .

All the local market people just put the vegetables in the carrier bag.

They think its brilliant. 

So do we.

But we are running out of bags to put the rubbish in now...

You just mentioned 2 problems with banning plastic.  I am in favor of charging extra for the plastic bags, but not banning them.

#1, most of my shopping doesn't start at home.  It starts on the way home from being somewhere else and I don't carry a bag around with me 24/7, much less enough bags to carry home a week's worth of groceries.  Also, the majority of folks depend on scooters and public transport for their shopping, and neither is a good place to stash those re-usable shopping bags.  It's different back home where a car's trunk is ideal, and everyone shops with their car.

#2, The plastic bags from Big C and TESCO are the perfect size for kitchen waste, big enough for about a day's worth, and not so big that I'm tempted to be lazy and let the smell go off by postponing taking the bag to the bin downstairs at my apartment.  I hang a bag on a doorknob near the front door, and take it down when it's full, or at least once a day, whichever comes first.  It's so nice not to have to buy plastic garbage bags that generally don't hang from a doorknob, and usually come in sizes that are too big.

I realize that the topic is plastic bottles, but it's all part of the same (and much bigger) waste disposal problem that won't be solved until they pony up for a functional waste disposal infrastructure.