May challenges EU as Brexit talks hit 'impasse', sterling tumbles

rooster59

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

There is a lot more to it than just the budget. 

Very unlikely it would ever get to court, both TM and Phillip Hammond have said many times the UK would honour all liabilities and commitments, a U turn on that would be the end of their careers and what is left of UK credibility. 

Two remainer supporters and some wonder why there's a problem leaving.

A 'U' turn and the end of their careers, no great loss there.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 10:40 AM, dick dasterdly said:

I've lost track, but if the net uk payment to the eu is 8.6 bn p.a. - then if the uk leaves in Mar. '19

and owes for 7 quarters until the end of the current budget period, then they owe approx. 15 bn?  Less the uk's share of eu assets?

I'm 'using' the 'budget period' as the equivalent to a contract period.

If this is anything close to correct, then the eu owes the uk a lot of money ????!

Having said this, I realise that the uk/eu 'contract' is likely to be entirely different to a 'normal' contract - and I'm sure various (very expensive!) lawyers on both sides are salivating at the prospect of arguing the financial case in the event of 'no deal'....

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

There is a lot more to it than just the budget. 

Very unlikely it would ever get to court, both TM and Phillip Hammond have said many times the UK would honour all liabilities and commitments, a U turn on that would be the end of their careers and what is left of UK credibility. 

"both TM and Phillip Hammond have said many times the UK would honour all liabilities and commitments"

So precisely what are the uk liabilities and commitments? ????

As mentioned in my earlier post, it 'appears' that the eu owes the uk a lot of money....  Why on earth would the uk consider paying the eu ANY money - other than to maintain a good trading relationship?

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

So precisely what are the uk liabilities and commitments? ????

I gave you my answer to that question in post No 174.

Do not keep asking the same question in response to my comment. If you want an answer you feel you can trust, do some homework.