Need help with a medical term..

Sheryl

Hi.

I am helping a seriously ill Cambodian woman hospitalized in Thailand in a provincial government hospital with translation etc.

Just got off the phone with the resident in charge to get the results of her CT scan and was able to follow most of what he said but got stumped at a word that sounds like "foon" or "foern" the vowel is probably  either sara-oo or sara-oer and the consonents are definitely a f sound at the beginning and an n sound at the end though that last of course could be a number of different consonents.

The context was something visualized on a  CT of the abdomen and the likely diagnosis is a ruptured appendix with  abscess so I would expect a word meaning pus or abscess but not finding it in any of my dictionaries.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sheryl, firstly, good on you for doing what you are doing.

My resident Thai dictionary says that it sounds like the word could translate to infection. My daughter had peritonitis (spelling questionable) which is an infected appendix which can burst and from that experience I would suggest that all urgency is given to this  ladies situation.

Try " Thai2English ". It is very good on single words and will do paragraphs but splits them up into single words which you then may have to put them together into the order we are used to.

• ฟื้น   [  ฟื้น  ]
  • féun
  •  
  • This is an approximate indication of how common a word ฟื้น is in Thai.
  • Add ฟื้น to Thai word list ?
  • 1 Meaning
  • ฟื้น

[ Verb ]
  • [to] recover ; recoup ; retrieve
  • [ Show Components & Examples ]

Examples

ตัวอย่าง
    • [to] restore ; rehabilitate ; revive
    ฟื้นฟู
    féun foo
    • [to] recover ; improve

it is definitely a noun not a verb so not ฟื้น .

Catwiki: can you provide the spelling of the word you mean? I can't find anything like it in any of my dictionaries.

We're well aware of the seriousness of her condition, thanks. Got her to the hospital in the nick of time and very fortunate she was not still in Cambodia when it ruptured or I doubt she'd still be with us. Doctors there missed the appendicitis diagnosis for a full 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

it is definitely a noun not a verb so not ฟื้น .

Catwiki: can you provide the spelling of the word you mean? I can't find anything like it in any of my dictionaries.

We're well aware of the seriousness of her condition, thanks. Got her to the hospital in the nick of time and very fortunate she was not still in Cambodia when it ruptured or I doubt she'd still be with us. Doctors there missed the appendicitis diagnosis for a full 2 weeks.

Sorry but the dictionary is my wife and that is the description that she gave. Looks like Ron has nailed it in his post.

Sorry Sheryl, we have just gone over this again and the spelling that you say it may be "foon" actually means dust or small particles. I think there was some misinterpretation when I asked my wife last night.

Sorry for any confusion and that I can't be more specific.

I know the "foon" word you mean, this is a different vowel sound. More likely sara oern sound between the f and the n sound. No real English translation of that vowel sound. Sort of a "uuun" sound.

It is a medical term. Probably needs a Thai-English medical dictionary.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, Sheryl said:

After further conversation it seems posdible the starting consonant is a "p" sound not "f".

I think but am not sure it is the Thai medical tetm for a phlegmon.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Appendicitis?  ไส้ติ่งอักเสบ? (sai - ting - ug - seb)

phlegmon/abscess  = ฝี fee

Appendicular concretions : นิ่วในไส้ติ่ง (หินปูน hin-poon)

It is not ฝี fee, definitely a "ourn"  or "uuun" sort of vowel sound followed by an n sound.

From the doctor I first spoke with sounded like an "f" at the beginning but in talking with another doctor it sounded like a "p". Sort of like the term used  by buildings for concrete posts.

I think you  have hit on it with  หินปูน hin-poon

Thanks!

Archived