May vows to hold nerve after Brexit talks hit impasse

rooster59

May vows to hold nerve after Brexit talks hit impasse

By Alistair Smout

800x800 (12).jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May arrives to make a statement on Brexit negotiations with the European Union at Number 10 Downing Street, London September 21, 2018 . Jack Taylor/Pool via Reuters

LONDON, England (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May said Britain would not flinch in an impasse with the European Union about its departure from the bloc, as French and German ministers suggested the next move in the negotiations should come from London.

British Prime Minister Theresa May on Friday demanded new proposals and respect from European Union leaders, saying after a summit in Austria that talks had hit an impasse and, in a prominent eurosceptic Sunday newspaper, she stuck to her guns.

"This is the moment to do what is right for Britain," May said in the Sunday Express. "Now is the time for cool heads. And it is a time to hold our nerve."

The Sunday Times reported that her aides had begun contingency planning for a November snap election to help save the Brexit talks and her job.

May won plaudits in her party and from the press for standing up to the European Union, ahead of her Conservative party's annual conference, which starts at the end of the month.

Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt had told BBC radio on Saturday that if EU leaders expected the UK to capitulate, then they had "profoundly misjudged the British people", even if that meant leaving the bloc next March without a deal.

"We may be polite, but we have a bottom line," he said. "And so they need to engage with us now in seriousness."

DIGGING IN

Initial reactions from across the English Channel suggested France and Germany were digging in, too.

EU leaders and May have said they want to get a deal agreed in October, to be finalised in November.

In Paris, Minister for European Affairs Nathalie Loiseau said that while France still believed a good Brexit deal was possible, it also must prepare for a "no deal" outcome. She said on France Info radio that Britain's vote to leave "cannot lead to the EU going bust."

In Berlin, German Deputy Foreign Minister Michael Roth said on Twitter the other 27 EU states were striving to achieve reasonable solutions, and that "the blame game against the EU" was "more than unfair".

In London, the pro-Brexit Daily Telegraph reported May faced the prospect of ministerial resignations next week if she failed to come up with an alternative to the "Chequers" Brexit plan that she presented in Austria. The Sunday Telegraph said party donor Jeremy Hosking was mulling backing a new pro-Brexit party.

But domestically, even some critics of May's plan backed the prime minister in her standoff against the EU.

"I have a serious difference of opinion with our prime minister. But, even so, I have to tell you that I view the behaviour of the European Union leaders in Salzburg with contempt," David Davis, the former Brexit minister who resigned in protest at Chequers, said in a speech at a "Leave Means Leave" rally in the northern English town of Bolton.

"Disrespect our prime minister and you disrespect our country."

After May's Friday statement, European Council President Donald Tusk said the results of the EU's analysis of that plan had been known to Britain for many weeks. But Hunt said there was a difference between rhetoric and substance.

"On the substance of the Chequers proposals, we have not had a detailed response," he said, adding that EU proposals for the Irish border would mean that it was impossible "to leave the EU intact as one country".

May has accepted the need for a "backstop" insurance policy on the Irish border but says the EU's version of the proposal would see Northern Ireland carved off from the United Kingdom.

The EU says May's proposal, keeping the province and mainland Britain in the same regulatory space, undermines the single market.

Despite the differences, Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney told RTE radio an Irish backstop was "doable" by an October summit.

BUMPY AND DIFFICULT

Hunt said Britain wanted a deal but would be able to withstand a no-deal Brexit.

"It would be bumpy, it would be difficult, but we would find a way to survive and prosper as a country," he said. "We've had far bigger challenges in our history."

Should May get a deal, opposition Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn said he would not support it unless it protected jobs and living standards. The Independent reported that Corbyn would try and force a general election within days if lawmakers reject the Brexit deal.

"We will challenge this government on whatever deal it brings back," Corbyn told a rally in Liverpool, northern England, on the eve of Labour's annual conference.

"And if this government can't deliver, then I simply say to Theresa May the best way to settle this is by having a general election."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-23

So we have another gripping week of posturing from both sides whilst the pound flounders.  You know if I was cynical I would say that certain people are making a killing out of the pound every time  hopes are raised on a compromise deal , and the pound gains and then May makes another statement to see it fall again. Of course that would never be the case in the UK would it ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

So we have another gripping week of posturing from both sides whilst the pound flounders.  You know if I was cynical I would say that certain people are making a killing out of the pound every time  hopes are raised on a compromise deal , and the pound gains and then May makes another statement to see it fall again. Of course that would never be the case in the UK would it ?

The currency traders every day of the year everywhere in the world make their living by buying and selling minute by minute and, these days, second by second. When a currency falls they buy, so the currency then rises, then they sell, so the currency then falls ... Nothing new or surprising in any of that.

12 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

The currency traders every day of the year everywhere in the world make their living by buying and selling minute by minute and, these days, second by second. When a currency falls they buy, so the currency then rises, then they sell, so the currency then falls ... Nothing new or surprising in any of that.

The ‘new bit’ is Rees-Mogg establishing a hedge fund in Ireland that aims to make money by betting against the U.K. in the outcome of Brexit.

14 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I clearly understand the obvious but the point I was referring to ,  apparently  missed by you, so I will elaborate further,  is that should people be aware of the content of May's recent speeches regarding EU leaving negotiations prior to their release, then that would be advantageous to those concerned.   Hence my statement " Of course that would never be the case in the UK would it ? "

Now has that clarified what I was driving at ?

27 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

If it were as simple and one dimensional as you your description, then currency trading would be a sure way to make money.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When will politicians learn that they are supposed to work for the people and their country first and not for their personal political survival and not for their political party?

Brexit started with inner party politics. Then 52% of the voters voted for some unproblematic separation from the EU which was supposed to bring lots of money to the NHS and make life for everybody so much better. Have the cake and eat it - no problem, we can do this.

Now, after two years, politicians should tell the people that this was just a pipe dream. They can't deliver what they promised. This is obvious but lots of politicians still pretend all is going alright. It's not! Tell the people the truth and tell them which realistic options exists. And as far as I see the best option is trying to stay in the EU. It's not perfect but far better than any of the other (realistic) options.

Do what is good for the people!

Man, you seem to be alone with your Statement. But I'm convinced that there a lot more outside who would'nt give any comment here. So let's hope together that this awful decision to leave EU will never happen just for the benefit of UK people and EU. I think we are sick of watching politicians in UK being afraid of losing face. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Esso49 said:

You know if I was cynical I would say that certain people are making a killing out of the pound every time  hopes are raised on a compromise deal , and the pound gains and then May makes another statement to see it fall again. Of course that would never be the case in the UK would it ?

Actually I 100% agree, there are many involved including a certain Chancellor and Governor of the BOE, with many feeding off their actions and comments  across the board including in Brussels, the whole thing is rotten to the core.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

If it were as simple and one dimensional as you your description, then currency trading would be a sure way to make money.

lets suppose I was in the know and getting briefed

Here is a simple scenario and you can do the maths yourself, in actual currency markets it is even better because you can "short" a currency but for now here is something to think about

Say you have 2x bank accounts in Bangkok Bank, one in Sterling and one in Thai Baht and you have a balance of 2M baht which you can shift from one account to the other online instantly

Lets say your money is in Sterling and you buy Thai baht at 45 to the pound - two weeks later the exchange rate has fallen to 42, you then move your money back into sterling, getting the picture, this cycle has been ongoing for months now triggered by mostly three things

- the Brexit negotiations

- Mark Carney

- and to a lesser extent some other variables that would happen normally regardless

The first 2x items above are generally known by certain key people before anyone else knows, getting the picture ?

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The ‘new bit’ is Rees-Mogg establishing a hedge fund in Ireland that aims to make money by betting against the U.K. in the outcome of Brexit.

He's a smart guy - using the cap-doffing rabble to advance his business interests claiming to represent theirs. To the manor born and all that. Come the revolution he would be one for a quiet word in  the woods......

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you listen to Boris and all those wonderful trade agreements for too long?

With whom will they do all that powerful trading?

here are some facts for you, if you choose to believe the scare unfounded nonsense then that is up to you

80% of UK trade is already non EU

The fastest growing trade markets are non the EU

The UK will not stop trading with the EU no matter what happens or how it leaves

You want some actual facts about the sinister EU then watch the YouTube video posted earlier in this thread

Like I have said multiple times on TVF - the EU started as a trading pact in the early 70's - that is not what it is now, it is basically a power grab by Germany and France and the UK people are having none of it

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

here are some facts for you, if you choose to believe the scare unfounded nonsense then that is up to you

80% of UK trade is already non EU

The fastest growing trade markets are non the EU

The UK will not stop trading with the EU no matter what happens or how it leaves

You want some actual facts about the sinister EU then watch the YouTube video posted earlier in this thread

Like I have said multiple times on TVF - the EU started as a trading pact in the early 70's - that is not what it is now, it is basically a power grab by Germany and France and the UK people are having none of it

I don't know if you are only ignorant or if you want to spread wrong rumors.

Just google UK trade and you will find information like this:

"The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports)." from https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

the EU (...) is basically a power grab by Germany and France 

All member states are equally part of the EU and participate in the EU’s decision-making. And they can all leave the club if they want to (same as it was their own decision to join in the first place). How is that “basically a power grab by Germany and France”?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Finally a simple and guaranteed way to become rich. It's a wonder that the currency trading market isn't several times larger than all the rest of the trading markets combined.

It is only a matter of "taste" among "investors" that causes it not to be so.

Some have a taste for poker, some for the horses, some for bingo.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

don't bet on it

The future of the EU is at stake, the Uk will survive no matter what, the last thing the EU want is an independent UK trading powerhouse that they have no control over

The UK will finally be free of the EU debacle when the shackles are removed and good riddance to it all especially the unelected power grabbing a'holes in Brussels 

When it all started it was only about trade which was fine, but it evolved into something entirely different and dangerous with Germany running the show 

bye bye

Thank for making me laughing out loud. ‘The future of the EU is at stake’, an ‘UK trading powerhouse’: man, where is your sense of reality?

May also seems to miss that sense, or she would not ‘demand new proposals from the EU’. It is the UK that wants to leave the club, and of course the UK is free to do so. On what would the EU have to compromise? Brexit is Brexit, isn’t it?

3 hours ago, smedly said:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

When it all started it was only about trade which was fine, but it evolved into something entirely different and dangerous with Germany running the show 

bye bye

The Gospel of St Daily the Mail, Chapter 1 (the only one), every verse.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1