Kap Choeng To Cambodia

plachon

I'm thinking about taking a trip into Cambodia, down to Angkor Wat and Siem Reap, at some point this year and wanted to know what my options were like between entering via Aranya and Kap Choeng. The latter option would be preferable as much closer to home, but wanted to find out from some one who's done the crossing and journey before, what it's like and other practical advice.

Like do they have visa's on arrival, how long does it take to get to Siem Reap, what mode's of transport are available, costs, etc, etc.

Thanks to any one who can advise. Maybe the Surin crew are in the know?

Cheers! :o

I'm thinking about taking a trip into Cambodia, down to Angkor Wat and Siem Reap, at some point this year and wanted to know what my options were like between entering via Aranya and Kap Choeng. The latter option would be preferable as much closer to home, but wanted to find out from some one who's done the crossing and journey before, what it's like and other practical advice.

Like do they have visa's on arrival, how long does it take to get to Siem Reap, what mode's of transport are available, costs, etc, etc.

Thanks to any one who can advise. Maybe the Surin crew are in the know?

Cheers! :D

You may be closer to Chong Chom (that's the crossing just after Kap Choeng) than Aranyaprathet, but Siem Reap is much closer to Aranya. The Cambodian road quality is worse than in Thailand, so even though Chong Chom looks like a good route, it can take significantly longer as your average speed will be way down, not to mention spinal damage :o

Chong Chom only works if you are taking your own vehicle, or you have hired your own driver. If it is your own vehicle, you will need to get the correct paperwork from Thai Immigration to allow you to take it out of Thailand, plus you will need to organise insurance for driving in Cambodia.

From Aranyaprathet, there is a bus service, the train or taxis to take you to Siem Reap..... no idea of the costs, but much less hassle than trying to go under your own steam.

Visas are available from both crossings on arrival.

Thanks Thaddeus, yes, I meant Chong Jom. I haven't been down to that area in a long, long time and only Kap Choeng came into my head as a familiar place near the border.

So they've got visas on arrival at the crossing, eh. That sounds promising. what about buses or taxis running down to Siem Reap? I don't fancy getting my own car beat up on any of those bumpy roads and the papers/insurance would probably be more hassle than its worth. I don't mind bone shaking journeys either, but get a bit miffed when those Khmer guys try to squeeze 5 people on the back seat of a Toyota Camry and three in the front to make a buck or three. Then you really get to know your neighbour!

Might take the trip next month, but still interested to hear from anyone who's done it how long it takes roughly? Dry season speed or wet season speed?

I did this on my bicycle a year ago or so, here is the link from that trip that has plenty of pictures ot the roads, and they were horrible:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o...=27750&v=9s

There were taxis at the broder and visa on arrival, and there will be a tout there to make sure you get everything you need. The scenery on the trip was wonderful, and the people are fantastic, and Cambodian food is as good as Thai, if not better. (those are my opinions, based on my experience, and should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind, as your mileage may vary.)

I did this on my bicycle a year ago or so, here is the link from that trip that has plenty of pictures ot the roads, and they were horrible:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o...=27750&v=9s

There were taxis at the broder and visa on arrival, and there will be a tout there to make sure you get everything you need. The scenery on the trip was wonderful, and the people are fantastic, and Cambodian food is as good as Thai, if not better. (those are my opinions, based on my experience, and should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind, as your mileage may vary.)

Thanks Bob. Aye, those are pretty nasty-loking roads, but if they can get bad that fast, maybe some of them can get surfaced and smooth fast? Or not, more likely. Still, if there's taxis to catch, we're not going to be as saddle sore on arrival as you and can enjoy the view a bit more. Cool website by the way, and you sure have a good eye for cute girls.......not having ever been to the Grand Canyon, not sure about the comparison, but yes, college start and turf out time are great scenic times in LOS, especially around the Rajabhats. :o

What sort of bike did you take for the trip by the way?

Have a good read through This Link.

It's quite informative, especially the bottom part.

Yep, thanks Thaddeus. Useful link and good to know about all the other potential border crossing sfor future reference. The roads look fun, but shouldn't be that bad in the dry season, although the dust factor can be a bit.......pore and orifice filling at times. Will be sure to pack my kromah for protection. :o