Driver killed in Udon Thani crash at 170km per hour

webfact

Driver killed in Udon Thani crash at 170km per hour

By The Nation

ut.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A driver killed when his car crashed into the rear of a 18-wheel trailer truck parked in the left lane of an Udon Thani road appeared to have been driving at 170 kilometres per hour.

Police said the crash caused the speedometer to stick at the 170kph mark in the car driven by Anuwat Kuldilok, 37.

The Muang Udon Thani police station was informed of the accident on Mittraparp Road in Tambon Nong Phai in Muang district at 8:30pm on Monday night.

Anuwat was killed behind the wheel. It took about an hour for rescuers to remove his body using iron cutters.

A local resident, Surapol Chaicharoen, 49, said he heard a loud sound, came out to see the accident, and called the 191 police emergency line.

Pol Lt-Colonel Daenchai Moolpom, deputy inspector of the police station, said the truck driver had left his vehicle parked at the spot to wait for a vehicle check on the following day and pay his annual registration fee.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30355172

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-25

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I'm no expert, but at 100mph+ that car would be almost obliterated, surely. Looks like less than that to me. Could the force of the impact flip the speedometer needle to a different position? Plus, that speed would be close to maximum for an old Altis such as that one and the rev counter needle is showing around only 2,000rpm. I would think it would be higher if it was travelling at such a speed.

I agree with you, that is not a 170 Kph impact. At that speed the car would be  scrap metal well underneath the truck. Also the rev counter is showing a low reading.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I'm no expert, but at 100mph+ that car would be almost obliterated, surely. Looks like less than that to me. Could the force of the impact flip the speedometer needle to a different position? Plus, that speed would be close to maximum for an old Altis such as that one and the rev counter needle is showing around only 2,000rpm. I would think it would be higher if it was travelling at such a speed.

2000..that's just about idling ...can't be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

If you think the speedometer could be moved due to the impact, you should also consider the rev counter being moved by the impact.

Maybe he went 100km/h at 2000 rev, or 170km/h at 6000 rev. Or anything in between.

But agree the damage does not look like a 170km/h impact. Hope he had a dashcam installed, but i doubt police actually care to find out the speed.

1 minute ago, oldrunner said:

Guess what? KmsRPM does not mean much to the driver at this point in time. No sure why so many experts have such strong opinions of the vehicle and the speed.

Perhaps there are some of us that would rather consider the facts, rather than fiction, especially when it comes to determining the circumstances surrounding an automobile fatality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Guess what? KmsRPM does not mean much to the driver at this point in time. No sure why so many experts have such strong opinions of the vehicle and the speed.

I can never understand why posters on discussion forums like to discuss newstories

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, diddygq said:

Mittraparp Road is the main 4 lane highway (2 lanes going in each direction) isn't it? Why the hell was there a truck parked in the middle of a lane?

On the picture in the linked article you can see that he was probably parked on the hard shoulder.

People crashing, and then often dying, in trucks parked on the hard shoulder at night without any lights happens all the time here in Thailand.

I'm quite sure that according to the law driving on the hard shoulder as well as parking on the hard shoulder (unless your vehicle broke down) is illegal already, so everything needed would be a police who do their job to save lives.

Edited by jackdd

Look at the end of the speedo needle bent up slightly and there doesn't appear to be any protective glass over the instrument binnacle itself which would allow the needle to be manipulated to whatever speed you choose .. And as other contributors have already illuminated that motor was not doing over a ton flat bang straight into the back of an arctic .. Doing that speed would see it compress considerably more or go beneath the trailer flattening the roof if not taking off .. 

IMG_20180926_161014.jpg