Bangkok: Wearing helmets mandatory for both drivers and passengers

webfact

10 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
You can't expect a customer to put on a helmet with bugs and lice in it.  So what to do?  Are the paying riders supposed to carry their own helmet?

Not enough farang with hair to worry

I don't care about Farang I was thinking of Thai women and children. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

actually I am seeing more and more enforcement of this rule. I agree, it used to be the occasional crackdown, but I think becoming number 1 in road deaths has embarrassed some people to taking action.

I ride around Bangkok a lot, and over the past few months have seen regular gangs of cops at some of the major junctions pulling everyone who hasn't got a helmet. 

i heard they were confiscating bikes and big fines, but after asking for photos of long lines of people walking away from checkpoints, and not seeing ONE i think this is not happening.  talking about pattaya

20 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Across Bangkok? The majority of the population live outside BKK....or don't they count?

I live in Amphur muang area of Nakhon Pathom about an hour west of BKK... They've just started doing this in our area, starting with all motor taxi riders, passengers are given a hat to wear, however as normal the public still get to do what they like !!

On 9/27/2018 at 11:57 AM, marcusarelus said:

A lot of Thai kids have head lice (seen in school) this new rule should be fun. 

lice.jpg

The alternative to sharing head lice with others is to provide one's own helmet of a quality and fit suitable to one's wealth desire to live. A minor inconvenience in motorcycle/bike-infested Thailand. /sarc

On 9/27/2018 at 7:46 PM, marcusarelus said:

You can't expect a customer to put on a helmet with bugs and lice in it.  So what to do?  Are the paying riders supposed to carry their own helmet?

Absolutely - paying passenger or not paying - Ref. Reply HERE. Or potentially pay a/the fine.

9 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

The alternative to sharing head lice with others is to provide one's own helmet of a quality and fit suitable to one's wealth desire to live. A minor inconvenience in motorcycle/bike-infested Thailand. /sarc

These are my two helmets.  I can't imagine carrying one around all day shopping and eating in Bangkok.  I get your point and it makes sense but I can't see anyone doing it. 

hel .jpg

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

These are my two helmets.  I can't imagine carrying one around all day shopping and eating in Bangkok.  I get your point and it makes sense but I can't see anyone doing it. 

hel .jpg

Time to look at alternative and safer transportation? Helmets won't protect against a plethora of fatal injuries anyway. I predict that there will be people carrying helmets and/or checking them in at customer service package checking. Time to start thinking outside the box?

Edited by MaxYakov

On 9/27/2018 at 1:53 PM, smedly said:

sorry but you are wrong, there are many quality helmets here in Thailand in the 2-3k price bracket, they are tested to Western Standards and in some cases better than some of the expensive brand imports.

Problem with the OP is that the typical crappy plastic helmet supplied by MB taxi drivers offer no protection at all, it is also worth noting that a good helmet will protect you to an extent but hit anything solid above 30kmh and your chance of survival is minimal, same goes for gear, they are designed to protect from a 4ft drop to the road from the seat and gear protects against road rash - hit anything solid and it doesn't matter what you are wearing unless it is a car.

Imagine this - put on the best gear you can buy and jump from a 2nd floor balcony head first - see how you survive, better still drop onto a wall from the same height and see how that goes, on impact you will be travelling at about 35-40kmph (less than 30mph.

Very few fatal MB accidents in Thailand would have had a different outcome if the person had been geared.  

This helmet issue from the OP is either total lack of understanding or they need more tea money or a mixture of both

Also putting on the provided headgear from a MB taxi driver is not only poor quality but also filthy 

Additionally, the fit of the helmet must be correct for the individual (according to my IndexTM motorcycle helmet user manual) and the strap fastened to be effective. I witnessed an helmeted motorbike operator misread the traffic situation and slam at high speed into a right-turning car. He lost the helmet upon the initial impact with the car and then he went head-first into a concrete parking lot where he sustained a serious head injury upon impact.

I don't see any practical way for a motorbike taxi operator to carry enough different sized helmets to meet the proper fit requirements for passengers. So all of this helmet is only a partial and deluded solution to "motorbike/cycle-diseased" Thailand's genuine problem - motorbikes/cycles.

As far as... re: "insisting that police are more concerned about road safety than collecting fines" what a bold statement to make!!  I see Thai's every day (from 11 year olds with 4 on a bike up) riding past policemen with no action taken.  Lets get real with this issue.... if you have a plastic ice-cream bucket on your head in the shape of a helmet you are cool and this helmet is going to help save your head upon impact with the road or post or whatever.... NOT!!  Get real Mr head honcho in the police force, go buy a company that produces certified crash tested helmets at prices the locals can afford.... you will make a fortune.  More concerned with road safety then collecting fines.... what a load of <deleted>!!