Broadband Speed Test

suegha

Thanks guys. I have 54 mbps, whatever that means!

It means most people reading this are cursing you right now. Average DSL in the USA is about 4-5 mbs, Mine is 10 (cable), in Thailand you get anywhere from .25 to 2.

People in small, advanced countries like Korea, Sweden, Japan, and Ireland get the big pipes. :o

Edited by cdnvic

The 54mbps is the limit for 802.11a/b - I believe. Despite similar setups (hardware, software, advertised up/down speeds) in both countries, my net access in Shanghai is slow slow slow. My net acess in BKK is fast.

Strangely, even before the Taiwan quake, Hotmail in PR China was slow beyond reason, and gmail was OK. In BKK, both Hotmail and gmail work OK.

Edited by backflip

Hi suegha,

The 54mbps you see is the speed your computer connects to the wireless accespoint installed somewhere in your area. Unfortunately this is not your internet speed.

The wireless accespoint gets it internet access from an ADSL provider (Opal in your case). We don't really know what speed that adsl line is.

The speed test indicates that you can download at 400kbps (equals 50 kBps, notice the capital B in kBps, indicates Byte as opposed to bits indicated by the small b in kbps).

You can upload at 300 kbps (37.5 kBps, by now you'll have noticed there are exactly 8 bits in one Byte, 300/8=37.5)

Practically this means you can download a 1MB file (which is 1024 kB) in just over 20 seconds. A 3 MB file (size of an average MP3 music file) would take just over 1 minute.

It would also mean you can listen to near cd quality (192 kbps) musicstreams or online radio stations, without the music breaking up.

Low quality on-line internet TV is also possible, but not high quality full screen video. For the latter you'd need a stable connection delivering 1024 kbps or faster.

On a side note, if you are accessing that wireless accespoint in a condo building, or a place where others can use the same access, then your speed will depend on how heavy the other people are using the internet.

It's only me in my house accessing it. I guess from your comments I have a fairly fast connection. It's certainly faster than I had when I was on dial up. And downloading video or anything large does seem to be fairly instant. Thanks for all your comments, I am not a techy and am always confused by the 'lingo', I like it in practical terms.

Cheers.

On the assumption you're in Scouseland, whether your 400kbps is "good" will depend upon what your connection speed is meant to be. If, for example, you pay for a 512kbps service, 400kbps isn't so bad, but if your paying for a 1mb service you should then be downloading at 900+kbps.

Scouse.