What Foreign Currencies are Gaining Against Thai Baht?

5 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Not the AUD for sure. Got $120k AUD I need to bring in to pay for a house we're building and it seems the rate and momentum are in the wrong direction for me atm. ????

Not good.. and unlikely to improve in the short term.. better than expected economic news seems to have stabilized it at around 23.5 at the moment..  I don't think we will see 25 again  for awhile.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 1337markus said:

And yet your government says the Oz economy is strong ????

..laugh your heart out.. the balances of payments came in much stronger than expected and employment is strong.. although mostly part time jobs.. The Australian economy is doing surprisingly well in spite of the political turmoil..  The $AU has been under pressure because of the strong American economy and higher interest rates there.  What is the excuse for the pound?

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

Not good.. and unlikely to improve in the short term.. better than expected economic news seems to have stabilized it at around 23.5 at the moment..  I don't think we will see 25 again  for awhile.. 

I am reading it's going down to 19 in the near future.

7 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

I would assume he/she means over the last couple of months, during which time the baht has risen around 3% against the USD.

Trump opened his mouth about wanting a dollar that was lower value, to help with trade. He did nothing as his attention span is notoriously short. No he was off to other subjects and tweets.

Based on that, and THAT ALONE, the US vs baht dropped below 33. You cannot make stupid crap like this up. ???? :biggrin:

Edited by LomSak27

3 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

The Thai Bt is strong because of high currency reserves and a strong export market.. and little foreign debt..  Most currencies go up and down in relation to the $US.. The $US has been gaining strength because of a strong economy and increases in interest rates.. Higher interest rates in the US attract currency flows back to the US.. Australia has been attractive for parking $$ because it has had positive interest rates for the last few years.. now that the US has better rates the flow is going home.. and the $AU is going down ???? .. For the UK my guess is the the uncertainty over Brexit is weighing  their currency down..  I don't follow other currency movements..  The big question, I think is where is Trump's trade war and the American economy going?  Now many countries like Iran and India and Russia and China are beginning to trade in their own currency and the Euro.. France too...  the US is at risk of loosing it supremacy as the trading currency of the world.. Where all this is heading is a good question..  I wish I had a crystal ball.. 

Weren't all these things true about Thailand's economy 10 years ago when it was 38 to the USD: high currency reserves and a strong export market.. and little foreign debt?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

Weren't all these things true about Thailand's economy 10 years ago when it was 38 to the USD: high currency reserves and a strong export market.. and little foreign debt?

You must be talking 10 to 20 years ago. The dollar has never been more than 36 thai baht in the last 10 years.

• Like 1

There is no future in trying to second guess the markets.  The US dollar is far and away the most important currency in the world, and all other currencies are essentially a function of what happens to USD, as all currencies are traded in pairs.  As the USD value strengthens, so the counter currency weakens, and vice versa.  There is an expectation that the Fed will again raise interest rates in December, the knock-on effect of which will be that the dollar rises and other currencies will fall. Will it happen, who knows? If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ReMarKable said:

Weren't all these things true about Thailand's economy 10 years ago when it was 38 to the USD:

12 years ago. Mid 2006 the USD fell below 38 and not come back.

28.6 (!) in 2013.

usdthb.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

So 12 years ago it crossed 38 to the USD, not 10,  But, in December of 2008, it was as high as 35.73.

So since Thailand was a high-export, low debt and a high currency reserves country 10 to 12 years ago, what has been  really happening the last 4 or 5 years ago with the appreciating baht?

The chart posted by KhunBENQ shows clearly that USD/THB has been falling since January 2016.  Consequently, the equal and opposite effect is that THB/USD has strengthened.  However, currency traders have also taken a reasonably optimistic view on Thailand's fundamentals, GDP, debt ratios, and so on.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Simplistic but quite true.. 

Well, only 50% true. If the Thai economy tanks and there is no change in the USA economy (in this example), the THB will, of course, weaken against the USD. All currency movements are not purely a function of what happens with the USD, that’s a ridiculous statement, but they are all traded principally against the USD of course.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ReMarKable said:

In July 1997, I brought $22,000 in from Cambodia  - went to China Town in Bangkok, we got 50 baht for a $$ ...........  Gold was $320 an ounce, I bought a 20 baht gold belt, and a 5 baht bracelet   -  couple years later (same dealer) I was told if we had waited a couple weeks, it went up to over 60 baht for a $$ (Market rate)  I don't think the official rate got over 45 for a $$ during Tom Yung Goong, I am just lucky I Guess.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I can assure you it's not the GB Pound.  The exchange for my pension in 2016 was 70 odd thousand baht.  Last month I had just over 57 thousand.  Drinking less, eating healthier, not going out as much but bored shitless.  Looks a lot till the monthleys go out.  Thai wife finds it difficult to understand that as I have had a pension rise in the UK where has all the money gone.

Edited by Mychoicetobehere
Spelling mistake

On 9/30/2018 at 2:30 AM, TunnelRat69 said:
On 9/29/2018 at 3:11 PM, ReMarKable said:

So 12 years ago it crossed 38 to the USD, not 10,  But, in December of 2008, it was as high as 35.73.

So since Thailand was a high-export, low debt and a high currency reserves country 10 to 12 years ago, what has been  really happening the last 4 or 5 years ago with the appreciating baht?

In July 1997, I brought $22,000 in from Cambodia  - went to China Town in Bangkok, we got 50 baht for a $$ ...........  Gold was $320 an ounce, I bought a 20 baht gold belt, and a 5 baht bracelet   -  couple years later (same dealer) I was told if we had waited a couple weeks, it went up to over 60 baht for a $$ (Market rate)  I don't think the official rate got over 45 for a $$ during Tom Yung Goong, I am just lucky I Guess.

Thats not quite an answer to ReMarKable's question that refers to 10 or 12 years ago . Nice story though.

• Like 1