Work permits double in 2018 . In Cambodia

geovalin

The number of foreigners issued with Cambodian work permits this year has more than doubled that of last year. The increase was driven by Chinese workers whose contribution alone could generate millions for the Kingdom’s economy each year.

Figures from the General Immigration Department, which comes under the Ministry of Interior showed that from January to August this year, the number of foreigners who registered for work permits had reached 118,280, compared with 57,000 last year.

Department chief Kem Sarin said the huge number of new work permits that were issued was a positive economic indicator and a solid source of revenue. He said the fees that foreigners pay in order to work legally go directly to the government.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/work-permits-double-2018

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 29/09

When the Chinese population exceeds that of Cambodians they'll have a re-think but it'll be to late to do anything about the Chinese take over!

Slowly but surely China is investing heavily in infrastructure & commerce in all SE Asian countries.

Once it has an economic grip on the country watch what the next move will be !!!

"He said the fees that foreigners pay in order to work legally go directly to the government."

I lived in Cambodia for nearly 5 years until very recently using 12 month visa extensions - all legal and above board (or so I thought) as I wasn't working. When they brought in the work permit requirement they wanted to back-charge me for those years I was there without one - even though I wasn't working. It would have cost me nearly one thousand dollars. There's no way I'd jump through hoops and be ripped-off just to stay in that dump. I'm now back in Thailand with its great food and cheaper living costs. The corrupt Cambodian elite seem to be under the illusion their country is comparable to Thailand - it isn't.