BREAKING: Fire at the new Central in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

The big plastic/styrofoam "mountain" in front of the new Central was burning, not the Central building itself. Damage should be limited though I guess this Tribum attraction wont see many visitors anytime soon. Afaik there was still work being done on that attraction and it's basically a big pile of plastic and other flamable materials with lots of electronics inside => high fire risk. Not a good combination with local safety standards.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

The big plastic/styrofoam "mountain" in front of the new Central was burning, not the Central building itself. Damage should be limited though I guess this Tribum attraction wont see many visitors anytime soon. Afaik there was still work being done on that attraction and it's basically a big pile of plastic and other flamable materials with lots of electronics inside => high fire risk. Not a good combination with local safety standards.
That mountain was to house a show.
Much like Phuket Fantasy.

It would have failed for sure. Can't see that being popular.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Have to say they got the fire out quick smart - I saw the video when I was about to leave for the office and I pass the Central intersection on the way - I was there about 10 mins later and they were putting out the last of the flames when I stopped above the underpass to snap a couple of pics.

When I saw the flames in the video as I was leaving home, I had some concerns it could go either way

Good response by the firies

Welding sparks causes Central Phuket Floresta attraction fire
By Eakkapop Thongtub

ph2.jpg

The fire was started by sparks from welding work still being carried out at the site. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A fire at the still-under construction ‘Tribhum’ attraction at the newly-opened Central Phuket Floresta was caused by sparks coming from welding work still being carried out at the site.

Tribhum was to be a 3D virtual adventure fantasy walkthrough, which was to officially open in November.

Wichit Police were notified of a fire at Central Festival Floresta at 10:10am today.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/welding-sparks-causes-central-phuket-floresta-attraction-fire-68815.php#dlGT7PViCuTfAzYY.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-26

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sebastion said:

That mountain was to house a show.
Much like Phuket Fantasy.

It would have failed for sure. Can't see that being popular.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Market research or expertise like the big companies have not necessary. Just ask the punters on TV.

I read on Phuket News that " evacuation procedures were used to remove customers from the main Cental Phuket Floresta building "
Simply  ridicolous !

I was inside and, while the fire was on, everybody was still able to enter, through the flyover, from the old building to the new one and walk around. 

I entered three times during the fire, supposing that everything inside was open, and every time I have been sent out only after a long wandering inside.

The only concern of the staff seemed to prevent the customers to take pictures of the burning from inside the building (why? based on what reason?).

At the end the flyover has been closed only after the fire was extinct.

Hope they will improve a bit their "evacuation procedures" .......