Lets Define Westerner Once And For All

Donz

Ok, Ive heard many italians spanish even south american people called westerners anf refered to as westerner by Thai's and by other westerners.

But also at the same time Ive hear Italians spanish and south americans say no there not westerners.

Also alot of italians dont really like to be called white and want to be refered a mediteranian (spelling)

Also half italians half english also have a 50/50 view of them being a wetserner or not.

South Americans dont like to be called westerner at all, so now tell me, what is a westerner?

Is it a white person (like pure white like white english) or what

lets discuss

Edited by Donz

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets discuss

just check out their nipples. If they are pink, they are "white" if they are a darkish color they are something else.

So my if is a westerner even if she is 3/4 asian 1/4 South american?

Ok, Ive heard many italians spanish even south american people called westerners anf refered to as westerner by Thai's and by other westerners.

But also at the same time Ive hear Italians spanish and south americans say no there not westerners.

Also alot of italians dont really like to be called white and want to be refered a mediteranian (spelling)

Also half italians half english also have a 50/50 view of them being a wetserner or not.

South Americans dont like to be called westerner at all, so now tell me, what is a westerner?

lets discuss

donz,

i think your time away from the forum has made you get a little bit to serious and you need to lighten up again. :o

but i must say your spelling is getting better but its still not perfect. :D :D

A -white- westerner is someone who loves to go on holiday and get tanned or 'brown' and thus create dead skin cells on his/her body which after a while will fade away again.

A yellow, light brown, brown or black person will avoid the sun, whatever the cost. That's why you see many of them carrying an umbrella; not for rain-protection, but sun-protection.

But we, simple souls of this Global world, have one thing in common......................

We all have red blood :o

LaoPo

There's no clear definition and the more mixed the world gets, the harder the concept will be to define.

Merriam Webster says:

Main Entry:westerner

Function:noun

Inflected Form:-s

Usage:usually capitalized

1 a : a native or inhabitant of a western region *Westerners from French West and Equatorial Africa Michael Barbour*; especially : a native or inhabitant of the western U.S. *the nasal twang of a Westerner* b : a native or inhabitant of an occidental country *Westerners do not understand Asiatics H.B.Acton* c : a supporter of the ideals and policies of the noncommunist countries of Europe and America *many westerners mistakenly supposed that because the Soviet mind was politically mutilated it could not achieve much in science and technology E.K.Lindley*

2 a : an adherent or advocate of western beliefs and practices *a Westerner who wants to grapple with this subject, must try, for a few minutes, to slip out of his native Western skin and look T through the eyes of the great non-Western majority ... compare SLAVOPHILISM

It is my understanding that the term originated during the

Cold War when Western Europe and North America

constituted the "Western bloc" while the Soviet Union

and Soviet dominated Eastern Europe constituded the

"Eastern bloc". All the bits left over were collectively

termed the "Third World".

Whetever your ethnic heritage Donz , as an Australian

you may consider yourself firmly in the "Third World".

HTH

:o

I'm really going to get trounced for this, but, I consider anyone who acts "white" to be white and I think that white people or "Westerners" have the superior culture at this time in history - the Judeo-Christian culture.

To me Denzel Washington is "white", but with Negroid features. If he wanted to marry my sister, I would think that he had terrible taste, but I would be happy to have him in the family.

Asians who move to America all want to adopt our culture and they work their butts off to learn English and improve their lives and fit in and most people accept them as "white".

The people that experience "racism" (it is really culturism) in the US are usually those who refuse to give up the culture that they came from and don't try to blend in. They need to make an effort to act white! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm really going to get trounced for this, but, I consider anyone who acts "white" to be white and I think that white people or "Westerners" have the superior culture at this time in history.

To me Denzel Washington is "white", but with Negroid features. If he wanted to marry my sister, I would think that he had terrible taste, but I would be happy to have him in the family.

Asians who move to America all want to adopt our culture and they work their butts off to learn English and improve their lives and fit in and most people accept them as "white".

The people that experience "racism" (it is really culturism) in the US are usually those who refuse to give up the culture that they came from and don't try to blend in. They need to make an effort to act white! :o

Ali G is white but acts black.. This dude can marry my sister, my aunties, my uncles, my dogs and my cats.. Anybody !!

'cos to have this guy in the family would be a mega hoot..

cow jai my

There's no clear definition and the more mixed the world gets, the harder the concept will be to define.

Merriam Webster says:

Main Entry:westerner

Function:noun

Inflected Form:-s

Usage:usually capitalized

1 a : a native or inhabitant of a western region *Westerners from French West and Equatorial Africa Michael Barbour*; especially : a native or inhabitant of the western U.S. *the nasal twang of a Westerner* b : a native or inhabitant of an occidental country *Westerners do not understand Asiatics H.B.Acton* c : a supporter of the ideals and policies of the noncommunist countries of Europe and America *many westerners mistakenly supposed that because the Soviet mind was politically mutilated it could not achieve much in science and technology E.K.Lindley*

2 a : an adherent or advocate of western beliefs and practices *a Westerner who wants to grapple with this subject, must try, for a few minutes, to slip out of his native Western skin and look T through the eyes of the great non-Western majority ... compare SLAVOPHILISM

Nah, that's ivory tower definitions. I beg to differ. It's all location. If I'm in Los Angeles, Thailand is to the f** west. So the people there are, by definition, western imperialists. Like that taksit guy.

Well, it all depends on where the Prime Meridian is, doesn't it? England deservedly lies on the Prime Meridian as John Harrison's chronometer demystified longitude calculations. East and west are defined in relation to Greenwich meridian. Australia for example is not west, but it was colonized by westerners. It now has a "western culture", but it is not western.

We all have red blood :o

LaoPo[/color]

Except for those of us blessed with blue blood. :D

As KireB says, it's irrelevant and down to some old time convention like the one that always depicts the globe with the Northern hemisphere at the top. The earth is floating in space where there is no up nor down.