Visa Interview At Us Embassy

Has anyone's spouse recently had a visa interview at the US Embassy (in BKK)? My wife has her interview scheduled for next month, and I would like for her to be prepared for whatever might come her way.

Also, my wife's interview is scheduled for 8am. At what time should we arrive at the Embassy so that we can be assured of entering on time? There always seems to be a large queue of people waiting outside each morning. It normally would not be a problem for my wife and I to stand in line for hours, however my wife is currently 4 months pregnant and thus standing up for a long time might not be a wise option.

Lastly, can the visa costs be paid by credit card at the cashier's window? I have been notified that the cost is $380 ($335 + $45), payable in either US dollars or Thai baht.

The visa should cost $100. Where did you get that visa cost figure? Our experience is that the embassy is very concerned that the husband can support himself upon return to the Kingdom of Thailand. They fear that if the US citizen cannot support himself legitamately in Thailand that the couple will be tempted to stay in the US indefinitely. Bring documentation that you (US citizen) have the means to stay in Thailand and not become a burden on the Thai government. It will make them much more secure.

If you are applying for a tourist visa, they want assurances that she will return. Therefore bring any land, house and property titles she might have. Also her bank books if she has money in the bank. Also, a letter from her employee saying she has a job. The same for you, if you have a job here get a letter from your employer. They will ask where or with whom you will stay and how you will support yourself.

Ask for a multiple enry visa. They can issue up to a 10 year multiple entry visa.

Good luck.

Sorry if I mislead anyone who read the OP. From the responses posted, it looks like I may have indeed done such a thing.

My wife is attempting to obtain an Immigration Visa to the US, not a tourist visa. Also, I have no intention of settling in Thailand. I know what items my wife (and I?) need to bring to the Embassy, but what I am not sure about is what to expect during the interview, nor what to expect while waiting to get inside the Embassy itself (e.g. what time should I arrive for an 8am appointment).

Mdeland - The $380 cost is the correct amount for an immigrant visa to the US. Since 01-Jun-2002 the processing fee has been $335, and since 08-Mar-05 a "security enhancement surcharge" of $45 has been added. Thus the total of $380. I received this information from the US Embassy in BKK last month.

Sorry if I mislead anyone who read the OP. From the responses posted, it looks like I may have indeed done such a thing.

My wife is attempting to obtain an Immigration Visa to the US, not a tourist visa. Also, I have no intention of settling in Thailand. I know what items my wife (and I?) need to bring to the Embassy, but what I am not sure about is what to expect during the interview, nor what to expect while waiting to get inside the Embassy itself (e.g. what time should I arrive for an 8am appointment).

Mdeland - The $380 cost is the correct amount for an immigrant visa to the US. Since 01-Jun-2002 the processing fee has been $335, and since 08-Mar-05 a "security enhancement surcharge" of $45 has been added. Thus the total of $380. I received this information from the US Embassy in BKK last month.

Gumballl (three "ls?")

Long and frustrating process ain't it, the IV to the U.S.

Below some info from the U.S. Embassy's www page.  Unfortunately it does not include specific info on where you pay the $$ or baht for the visa fee.  Non-Immigrant visa fees are paid at your local Thai post office, you might check there to see if IV fees are also paid there.  You might also send an email to the IV unit at the Embassy with your Q, see address below.

As to time of arrival at the Embassy there on Wireless, early is better than late, traffic, etc.  Even for an 0800 hr appointment I'd probably shoot for 0700 hrs and bring a book to read.  No problem with the "long line" of applicants outside, just head up to the front and show your appointment notice, the "checkers" there will allow you to jump the queue, this is the normal process.

As to Qs the interviewing ConOff might ask, sorry, don't have an idea.  One would be financial info, which you've already submitted with your Affidavit of Support.  Housing arrangements in the U.S.?  Your continuted employment in the U.S.?  How long have you been married?  All of these Qs you probably already answered in the initial application for your wife's IV, but you should review them again if only to be consistent in your currrent answers.

Good luck!!

Mac

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/services/visa/IV%20FAQ.htm

Q: When is my interview? What should I expect on the day of the interview?

Dates of immigrant visa interview schedules are posted on our website

Hints: Arrive to the Embassy at your appointed time. Bring complete and organized documentation. An embassy employee will review your documents and prepare your file for the interview with the consular officer. Screening time averages 1-3 hours. Incomplete and unorganized documents can delay the process. When your case file has been fully screened, a Consular Officer will call you to the window for an interview. If your case is approved, the visa will usually be issued the following workday. You should plan to spend the morning at the embassy for this process.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We hope the above information has helped answer your questions.

If after looking through the material above and the links we provided, you still have questions regarding a case pending at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, please see our contact instructions below:

Please send an additional email to [email protected] with the following information

Subject Line

1. Must contain the words “Inquiry”

2. Case Number: Include the case number (with prefix of BNK or PHP)

3. Applicant’s surname: include in the subject line.

Text of Message: Include the full name of the petitioner, applicant, type of visa, nationality of applicant (Cambodian, Thai or other) and your contact information in the first paragraph. Follow this with your specific concerns in the subsequent paragraphs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx