Tea

RickG16

I made the cardinal error of not bringing some tea supplies from the UK. Aside from the standard Lipton, on Phangan we either have a weak imitation of Earl Grey / breakfast tea which is way overpriced, or Twinnings which is good but even more expense.

Is there anywhere on Samui where I could grab a box of PG Tips / Tetley / Yorkshire tea? Realise it won't be cheap but I'd like to grab some next time I'm over. 

• Like 1

Do also check in Tesco-Lotus at Bo Phut (Chaweng area) in their "Tesco Finest" department, they have a wide selection of English tea – I buy from there myself, but I drink Ceylon Tea – they might have what you are looking for, or something acceptable; I cannot remember all the varieties, but I noticed both Earl Grey and what seem to be proper English Breakfast Tea. Prices are not cheap – relative of course – but affordable...????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Do also check in Tesco-Lotus at Bo Phut (Chaweng area) in their "Tesco Finest" department, they have a wide selection of English tea – I buy from there myself, but I drink Ceylon Tea – they might have what you are looking for, or something acceptable; I cannot remember all the varieties, but I noticed both Earl Grey and what seem to be proper English Breakfast Tea. Prices are not cheap – relative of course – but affordable...????

Good post as I too like a good cuppa, so buy the Tescos Finest range, and now the English Breakfast Tea, strong strength, is the one I use the most.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Good post as I too like a good cuppa, so buy the Tescos Finest range, and now the English Breakfast Tea, strong strength, is the one I use the most.

How much.. and how many teabags in a packet?

Cheers 

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

Why travel to samui, let the post office deliver. 

Found tetley and PG tips on lazada.com 

Yeah I found the PG tips... but link to the Tetley please? 

I'd be going to immigration anyway in couple of weeks... so could buy then,.

Edited by RickG16

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

Found Yorkshire tea also on lazada. 

Yup, but what I can see is 'loose tea'.... for 40 quid. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/taylors-of-harrogate-yorkshire-250-loser-schwarzer-intl-i174389977-s218488774.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.1a5735abcFSQ0z&search=1

Edited by RickG16

Just now, RickG16 said:

Funnily enough... I did search Tetley tea. But knocking the 'tea' off has done the trick. 

Hmmm.. PG Tips seem to be a lot cheaper. They might get the vote. 

Opposite with Yorkshire tea, had to add tea. 

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The reason it is so expensive is that it takes a lot of nurturing and maintenance to grow that Yorkshire tea on the hills around Sheffield !

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

How much.. and how many teabags in a packet?

Cheers 

Hmmm............as I recall, about 80 baht for 50 teabags, or 120 b for 100 bags.  

They have different strengths as well as strong Assam tea which was too strong for me (never thought I would say that).....well worth a look around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Hmmm............as I recall, about 80 baht for 50 teabags, or 120 b for 100 bags.  

They have different strengths as well as strong Assam tea which was too strong for me (never thought I would say that).....well worth a look around.

That sounds great... thanks 

2 hours ago, Amusements said:

Do they deliver to Samui?

Probably, you can try to order; but it might be just as easy to get to Tesco-Lotus in Bo Phut and their Tesco Finest-department that have the tea in stock...????

Edited by khunPer

In the Tea section of aisle 9 in Tesco Chaweng (immediately in front of the 'Tescos Finest' section but NOT part of it) look for Red boxes marked 'Tesco Original' @ THB 115 for 80 T bags. A surplus of 'Tesco Finest' are there too immediately underneath (Black/Blue) but were somewhat dearer.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, evadgib said:

look for Red boxes marked 'Tesco Original' @ THB 115 for 80 T bags.

HTH

Is it good tea though? Which English brand is it most similar to?

To be honest anything has to be better than Lipton. 

Edited by RickG16
  • Like 1

I have a good Chinese contact here that owns a tea shop. This is where I buy all my loose leaf tea from. They sell all kinds, Black, Red, White, Green. However if you are looking for Red tea (most foreigners call black tea) then they will be Chinese varieties from Southern China instead of Indian ones like Assam, Darjeeling, or Naga. PM me if you want help getting some good stuff. The good thing too is it is always fresh tea from whatever the latest harvest is. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, PoorSucker said:

Checked BigC today, they have six different brands of English tea. 

Only one I recognized was twinning. 

I was in there a few days ago, and they had Typhoo tea bags in, but not cheap @ 40 for 149baht.