Video: "Welcome to Chiang Mai" - tourists forced to leave GrabCar as tempers flare

webfact

6 minutes ago, Galactus said:

yes, until they start fine the clients using grab taxi. like they did where i come from. they catch you in an Uber, they fine you bc you are using an illegal service. simple.

you live here, know the prices. but that guy can get a higher payment from a tourist. and they are spoiled by tourist paying them whatever they want.

same as in every touristic city on earth. and believe me, sooner or later, grab taxi guys also start to do the same, have a look:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k10149129-Beware_of_scam_drivers_with_Bangkok_GRAB_Taxi-Bangkok.html

Grab has a rating system. They can easily weed out the scammers.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Galactus said:

yes, until they start fine the clients using grab taxi. like they did where i come from. they catch you in an Uber, they fine you bc you are using an illegal service. simple.

you live here, know the prices. but that guy can get a higher payment from a tourist. and they are spoiled by tourist paying them whatever they want.

same as in every touristic city on earth. and believe me, sooner or later, grab taxi guys also start to do the same, have a look:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k10149129-Beware_of_scam_drivers_with_Bangkok_GRAB_Taxi-Bangkok.html

Fair play - a good well-reasoned argument (often hard to find on here), which I do agree with the rationale behind. I had a grab guy to the airport coach me on what to say if we got stopped by the cops ("He was my colleague just giving me a lift to the airport"). I'd be surprised if the authorities started fining passengers, but if they did, it would certainly affect my decision as to whether or not to use a Grab cab. 

If the authorities want to make Grab less attractive, they need to start properly cracking down on the behaviour of the existing taxi industry - not just paying lip service then going back to ticketing tourists on scooters. While I am a fan of the free market and if a Songthaew or taxi can get a tourist to pay twice the price as an expat then so be it, but ultimately legally operated taxis have meters for a reason and they need to incentivise the use of them, or deter refusal to turn the meters on.

I have no issue with negotiating a price on a metered taxi either - I do it all the time out of BKK airport if I'm going to a location I know (saves the old "getting lost" en-route and spending an hour longer in traffic so they can run a few hundred extra baht on the meter), but if a passenger wants the meter turned on, that should the method of billing. 

Idealistic, I know. But Grab are just responding to illegal behaviour by taxis that everyone is sick of. 

With the announcement and clear signage of fixed prices for motorcycle taxis the authorities have worked out a example.
Sadly the most tourist areas are an exception and the script is in Thai.

But how many years did that take?

At least a beginning of some sort of regulation

50 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Fair play - a good well-reasoned argument (often hard to find on here), which I do agree with the rationale behind. I had a grab guy to the airport coach me on what to say if we got stopped by the cops ("He was my colleague just giving me a lift to the airport"). I'd be surprised if the authorities started fining passengers, but if they did, it would certainly affect my decision as to whether or not to use a Grab cab. 

If the authorities want to make Grab less attractive, they need to start properly cracking down on the behaviour of the existing taxi industry - not just paying lip service then going back to ticketing tourists on scooters. While I am a fan of the free market and if a Songthaew or taxi can get a tourist to pay twice the price as an expat then so be it, but ultimately legally operated taxis have meters for a reason and they need to incentivise the use of them, or deter refusal to turn the meters on.

I have no issue with negotiating a price on a metered taxi either - I do it all the time out of BKK airport if I'm going to a location I know (saves the old "getting lost" en-route and spending an hour longer in traffic so they can run a few hundred extra baht on the meter), but if a passenger wants the meter turned on, that should the method of billing. 

Idealistic, I know. But Grab are just responding to illegal behaviour by taxis that everyone is sick of. 

thanks for the polite and proper argument as well. yep, hard to find here.

agree, legal taxi guys are not very fair too. and they have to improve their services.

I was thinking like they catch the train and due to the threat coming from apps like Uber or Grab Taxi, they should improve their service etc.

But they didnt. still no taxi meter and if you ask one to open, they get aggressive. In bangkok, taxi guys are better though apart from Sukhumvit road and some other tourist areas of city. Especially, if you speak some Thai to them, they understand that you live here and 90 percent open the taxi meter.

But again, same problem in every tourist city on earth unfortunately. same as back home to me! and i am sure for you too.

So, authorities need to ban Grab (50 percent of profit goes to Singapore too) and same time, they need to work on improving legal taxi services and fine legal taxi guys ruthlessly.

Maybe things change then. 

but as i gave an answer above to another poster, go to Ubon Ratchathai for example. best taxi service, clean cars, always taxi meter and super cheap.

bc no tourist, no competition, no aggressiveness.

for me? thank you very much but ride my bike or my own vehicles here for more than a decade and no such problems:)

On 10/2/2018 at 10:04 AM, toenail said:

Back in February I took an Uber driver in the suburbs of Changmai since there were no “public transportation” to take me back to my hotel. It was a pleasant experience and cheaper than in the morning when I paid a songtaew driver. 

Get rid of these hotheads!!!!

In Chiang mai we took a tuktuk to bring us back to the hotel, my wife told him the name.

We stopped at another hotel though, when she asked him why we were there he said all farang stayed there so he automatically brought us to that one without listening to my wife.

1 hour ago, Galactus said:

*Edit*

9 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Of course not, but bus or van you pay total 10-20 baht for the whole trip instead of sit in traffic jam and watch the meter clock over.

Is actually a waste of time and money both for you and the driver. 

this is what many farang here dont understand why taxi driver refuse the fare.

then of course when the farang is in a taxi caught in traffic jam, he will accuse the driver of going the long way or deliberately driving into traffic jam.

I've got news for you - you don't have to get rejected by a taxi driver in order to take a bus or van, you can cut out the middle man and just go straight to them.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:03 AM, worgeordie said:

There will never be a real public transport system in Chiang Mai,as

the Tuk-Tuk ,and Red truck drivers will not allow it

You haven't noticed the big blue buses? Several routes, and some that service the airport directly.

I've been on them. 20 baht, newish equipment, air con, no stinky exhaust fumes. Friendly drivers too.

Come to think of it, the only negative attitudes among the Thai I've encountered were tuk tuk and red truck drivers. Most have been pleasant tho...

But their equipment is usually grimy, fumey, and sometimes feels downright unsafe.

"Mr. Welcome to CM" shows serious loss of face, appears dangerous, and no way do I ever want to be in his vehicle.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, Galactus said:

grab car can keep its app open but taxi they contracted with are not legal.

similar case in another country, Uber was covering the fines of illegal taxis if they are caught.

Maybe same for Grab too.

yes, if you want to have a taxi plate, you pay a big money! not like you do it with an ordinary plate like grab guys which is illegal and not fair for legal taxi people.

hence legal taxi guys are furious.

for many farang here: who cares? bc grab is cheaper!!! 

grab taxi is of course cheaper as they dont pay a million to get a taxi plate. just a guy, a car and a phone.

Sounds like you are guessing.

I see you support your viewpoint with TA quotes, here's another for your consideration: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k10608694-Uber_and_Grab_declared_legal_by_Land_Transport_Department-Thailand.html

When I drove Uber, I discovered there are strict requirements, and until met, disables the app for use as a driver. None of those requirements cost me much (other than the purchase of the car itself).

They include:

-vehicle must be less than 10 years 

-vehicle must pass annual safety inspection (600 baht)

-vehicle must have proper rideshare insurance.

-vehicle must be registered currently in my name.

In addition, I had certain personal requirements:

-proof of current license

-driving record history

-criminal background check

All of these items can be submitted directly through the driver app (exception being vehicle inspection), they are then verified and processed, usually within 24 hours.

Until these are all submitted and verified and again when it becomes time to renew, the driver app is unusable.

Simple, efficient, legal.

3 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Sounds like you are guessing.

I see you support your viewpoint with TA quotes, here's another for your consideration: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k10608694-Uber_and_Grab_declared_legal_by_Land_Transport_Department-Thailand.html

When I drove Uber, there were strict requirements, and until met, disables the app for use as a driver. None of those requirements cost me much (other than the purchase of the car itself).

They include:

-vehicle must be less than 10 years 

-vehicle must pass annual safety inspection (600 baht)

-vehicle must have proper rideshare insurance.

-vehicle must be registered currently in my name.

In addition, I had certain personal requirements:

-proof of current license

-driving record history

-criminal background check

All of these items can be submitted directly through the driver app (exception being vehicle inspection), they are then verified and processed, usually within 24 hours.

Until these are all submitted and verified, and again when it becomes time to renew, the driver app is unusable.

Simple, efficient, legal.

Did you pay income tax ?

23 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Thank you for pursuing this.  Without you there might be people who don't pay their fair share of taxes.  But shouldn't you also have asked him if he still beats his wife?

Thanks for the comic relief ????

Poor guy does seem to struggle posting relevant content.

Anywho,

This happened:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/10/02/cops-bust-tuk-tuk-who-harassed-kicked-grab-driver-video/

The goon didn't even have a license himself! ????

Arrested previously for road rage too. So much for "legal"...

On 10/5/2018 at 10:24 AM, tingtongtourist said:

haha well yes, then GRAB is probably a good thing for C.M and anywhere that dont have meter taxi or them that dont want to turn on meter.

serve them right for taking the piรร for so long if they loose out.

In BKK is obviously different as theres many ok taxi guys compete and quick& easy just to get one off street.

I do not care for this wasting time waiting, what i read about, GRAB guys ringing you up, ask where you are, after you already put the exact location google marker into the site.

last time i try GRAB quote off internet, they want 180baht for route that normally cost 140-160.

So, like air b&b, they start out with a model that supposed to be cheap.

have no costs etc. 

then sooner or later as more people use it will be more expensive than regular.

but of course in that area,  if you only have took-took scumbags and dodgy taxi it is a better option

For many who live down Sub-Soi's ordering a grab is much better than the option of walking down to the main road and flagging a taxi (especially in inclement weather).

Whats better than walking out of your home, pub, restaurant etc straight into a car which is waiting for you?... it beats the uncertainty of dealing with the repeated refusals, overcharging and no meter games etc attempted by a number of the chancing taxi drivers.

Grab ring you up and double check your location because so many people put the wrong location pin on their ride request or book by accident - the drivers are being smart. 

Grab has always been slightly more expensive than a regular taxi - its a better safer service with a level of recourse and driver (and passenger) ID should something go wrong - a little extra for a more reliable, safer, more polite service is something it seems people are happy to pay. 

Versus putting up with an established "legal" taxi system in Chiang Mai where drivers refuse to use the metre, price fix at main tourist attractions (tried lately getting a cab out of the airport for less than double what it'd actually cost?), have run-down cars and often get aggressive during the haggling process (which is mandatory because they refuse to use the metre).

I'll take the illegal system, if it's all the same. 

I attempted to take an official airport taxi from CNX week before last. I was quoted 250 baht for a standard taxi to the same destination for which I was charged 160 baht the previous week.

Took out my phone, requested a Grab ride and the fare was 209 baht from the arrivals door. No haggling and my ride was a new Mazda 3 driven by a really nice CMU grad student who was occasionally doing Grab in the evenings to make ends meet.

So yes, I'll take this so-called "illegal" Grab system as well. 

2 minutes ago, bubba said:

I attempted to take an official airport taxi from CNX week before last. I was quoted 250 baht for a standard taxi to the same destination for which I was charged 160 baht the previous week.

Took out my phone, requested a Grab ride and the fare was 209 baht from the arrivals door. No haggling and my ride was a new Mazda 3 driven by a really nice CMU grad student who was occasionally doing Grab in the evenings to make ends meet.

So yes, I'll take this so-called "illegal" Grab system as well. 

Gotta love grab.

I arrived at cnx on Friday night and grab was 245THB to San phak wan and airport taxi was 250THB so I took the airport taxi.

I think grab pricing goes up a bit when it's Friday/Saturday night. All good.

Gotta love grab.
I arrived at cnx on Friday night and grab was 245THB to San phak wan and airport taxi was 250THB so I took the airport taxi.
I think grab pricing goes up a bit when it's Friday/Saturday night. All good.
I'm not sure but I have the suspicion the grab prices are calculated based on day, time and demand.

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

I'm not sure but I have the suspicion the grab prices are calculated based on day, time and demand.

If they are a smart business. Uber has been doing it for ages, transparently, via surge.

Generates huge profits for both company and driver.

5 minutes ago, balo said:

Just get ready for a fight , if you try to enter a Grab near the public places and tuktuks. 

With other words we can chose from just grabbing a Taxi or grabbing a grab and a fight....:whistling:

On 10/3/2018 at 2:55 AM, chang1 said:

This comment needs its own reply.

I cannot understand why you would pay 30 Baht more for a taxi.

Toenail sums it up nicely

"Sad the local “taxi” or tuk-tuk drivers cannot understand why many people prefer to use their smartphones and book a “Grab” or “Uber” ( not found in SE Asia)  1) Reliable drivers that are rated by the customer 2) clean cars 3) well groomed drivers 4) no nonsense in price 5) a feeling of confidence since the driver is held accountable whereas a driver with the taxi mafia is not"

I just spent a month in Chiang Mai and got around on foot, with Grab, and the times I met a friend we traveled in his vehicle.

Grab was a great experience.

At the airport I called for a Grab, and not to save 30 BHT but to pay abour 35 BHT more than the flat rate taxi price.

Why? For the reasons stated above, plus:

a) They charge my credit card.

I don't have to fumble with money in the dark nor play the "I don't have change" driver game.

b) My cc gives me points for this which gives me several % back.

c) No incentive for the driver to long haul as it's a fixed price.

No worries if there is a traffic jam as it's a fixed price.

(These are 2 more reasons I use Grab in general. In the case of the CM airport they don't apply as the taxis also have a fixed rate).

d) Grab has promotions with further discounts periodically.

e) I haven't read of Grab drivers attacking other drivers or customers, unlike the taxi drivers.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:49 AM, Galactus said:

NOTE -

1) This person did not book a Grab Car, but a Grab Taxi. This is a regular Taxi that has contracted to also take Grab customers.

If this was a deliberate scam, it was perpetrated by a Taxi driver, not the driver of a Grab Car, which is the only thing I book with Grab.

2) Grab gives a fixed price for a trip which one agrees to when booking the ride.

I do not understand how the person in the TA link did not have a fixed price before leaving.

I've never booked a Grab Taxi but I thought they also give a fixed price for the trip.

EDIT - I'm sure I've seen fixed prices for Grab Taxis.

Perhaps 1.5 years ago it was done differently?

I use a credit card with Grab - it is advantageous in numerous ways.

On 10/11/2018 at 4:42 AM, CLW said:
On 10/10/2018 at 7:00 AM, hobz said:

Definitely they do "surge pricing" as does Uber and I imagine Lyft.

When in the midst of a rainy season downpour, watch the price increase (probably double or more).

15 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I use a credit card with Grab - it is advantageous in numerous ways.

Using a credit card has one downside. They can adjust the price afterwards. 

When taking a grab from the airport I was quoted like 100 and then the next day they tried to add like 50 more as some type of airport fee. I paid cash so I was supposed to pay this extra amount next time I ride.. I told customer service that I refuse and they corrected it.

My friend took an Uber into town. And then back out of town. Charged around 200 in total. Using credit card. The next day she woke up and the charge was 700 because the trip went outside some imaginary line that made it a 350 THB fixed price. She never got that 500 back...

I wouldn't worry about it too much as grab customer service has always been fair and responsive.. but if they become anything like Uber I wouldn't use my CC with them...

Just now, JimmyJ said:

I don't understand this. Who/what is central group and why will it stop this sort of problem?

They are a big company in thailand and they own a lot of stuff and they may be buying grab. Grab like uber is a monster business. The biz model is geared towards driverless cars in the future and they think it's going to happen within 20 years. Then driving a car will be banned as it's too dangerous.

Archived