Vaping on Holiday

canopus1969

As with many things in Thailand it depends what and you get on the day. Thr law is there, how and who interprets it is another matter.

Why ruin a trip and possibly get into alot of bother or eleviated of cash.

Dont get caught carrying anymore than can be regarded as a "personal supply" . Put the items in hand luggage. Be very careful where you use it.

It’s illegal to bring them into the country so you have to ask yourself is it worth the risk if caught I believe it’s a hefty fine or up to 5 years in prison . I have told my sister not to bring hers in December and go to her doctor and get some patches .

4 minutes ago, guest879 said:

seriously vaping is illegal? ha, next thing you are going to tell me is prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

The answer is yes, and also an answer to that old chestnut is that all the girls and boys working in various dubious establishments are cashiers. 

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

The answer is yes, and also an answer to that old chestnut is that all the girls and boys working in various dubious establishments are cashiers. 

No. The cashier sits at the till. She is usually a trusted family member. The other workers are service staff.

If they catch you with a mod either vaping or in possession you would be in trouble .

how much trouble depends on a cop and your manner.

saying that, I have been vaping for 2 years, but I keep it discrete. I do not vape on the street in public . I vape at home or if out in a bar, but again discretely.

when I go out , mod that i take with me looks nothing like vaping machine would , no external tank. One of those latest funny looking boxes.

vaping helped me quit smoking , and my health is worth more that Thai silly law.

you can buy all the gear locally , but rather expansive. Plenty of local sites with more reasonably prices and large range of ejuice . 1-3 day delivery

Now, on how to bring it in. Very important you remove battery from the mod. If battery is in the mod , X-ray can see it’s an ecig, do not ask me how. But just recently went through Don Mueang and they could see in X-ray . 

So battery removed , keep mod, battery and tank all separately and there should not be any problems 

4 hours ago, BWPattaya said:

I thought it was illegal to bring one into the country. Certainly illegal to use one. 

Illegal to import and sell, not really illegal to use or possess. It's a bit of a grey area where they could technically charge you for "possession of a good where tax hasn't been paid on" or similar, so the same if you brought a brand new iPhone with you and didn't declare it to the customs (so in practice, complete BS). There have been cases with dirty cops extorting tourists for just possession though so better be careful.

Here is a video from the news where a high ranking officer confirms they are legal to use and possess: 

13 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Illegal to import and sell, not really illegal to use or possess. It's a bit of a grey area where they could technically charge you for "possession of a good where tax hasn't been paid on" or similar, so the same if you brought a brand new iPhone with you and didn't declare it to the customs (so in practice, complete BS). There have been cases with dirty cops extorting tourists for just possession though so better be careful.

Here is a video from the news where a high ranking officer confirms they are legal to use and possess: 

No, it’s not legal to posses or use . Have been a number of cases where people got done hard for having and using.

there was a Russian couple who were caught on the street vaping , both got arrested and sent to court, also local celebrity, had one in her car , also got arrested and sent to court

1 minute ago, BestB said:

No, it’s not legal to posses or use . Have been a number of cases where people got done hard for having and using.

there was a Russian couple who were caught on the street vaping , both got arrested and sent to court, also local celebrity, had one in her car , also got arrested and sent to court

Do you have links to those articles? I recall the local celebrity, but wasn't she also drunk (or high) and fighting with the cop trying to arrest her or something. I haven't seen that one with a Russian couple. 

I've seen the case with that Swiss guy who was arrested, but this was on the grounds of having brought the device with him from Switzerland so he was charged with illegal importation, not possession. 

Personally I've been hand searched in Bangkok by the police (drug/alcohol checkpoints at night) twice in the last few months and both times took my vape mod out of my pocket. First time they didn't even say anything, second time he started complaining a little, but I told him I know the law and they're not illegal to possess. He laughed and let me go without issues. He actually told me "They are not legal to carry with you, but you are allowed to use it at home" which doesn't make any sense (guess he just wanted to "be right" and have the last word). 

I hope the government comes to their senses soon, but I'm afraid the influence of the tobacco monopoly is strong on these decisions. I havent touched cigarettes for 3 years now thanks to vaping. 

43 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Do you have links to those articles? I recall the local celebrity, but wasn't she also drunk (or high) and fighting with the cop trying to arrest her or something. I haven't seen that one with a Russian couple. 

I've seen the case with that Swiss guy who was arrested, but this was on the grounds of having brought the device with him from Switzerland so he was charged with illegal importation, not possession. 

Personally I've been hand searched in Bangkok by the police (drug/alcohol checkpoints at night) twice in the last few months and both times took my vape mod out of my pocket. First time they didn't even say anything, second time he started complaining a little, but I told him I know the law and they're not illegal to possess. He laughed and let me go without issues. He actually told me "They are not legal to carry with you, but you are allowed to use it at home" which doesn't make any sense (guess he just wanted to "be right" and have the last word). 

I hope the government comes to their senses soon, but I'm afraid the influence of the tobacco monopoly is strong on these decisions. I havent touched cigarettes for 3 years now thanks to vaping. 

It’s all on thai visa, no links . 

It’s not legal to posses or use, but naturally what you do behind closed doors is your business. 

there is a video on YouTube , guy gets pulled over and is vaping . Cop tells him it’s illegal but ok to vape at home????

3 hours ago, guest879 said:

seriously vaping is illegal? ha, next thing you are going to tell me is prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

Prostitution is also illegal. Strange how laws change in different countries. Must be the latitude...

1 hour ago, SS1 said:

One of the goals in life is avoiding any contact with the BIB, thank god you scooted away OK and they didnt find any yabaa or weed in your pocket, hey how did that get there.....

3 hours ago, BestB said:

If they catch you with a mod either vaping or in possession you would be in trouble .

how much trouble depends on a cop and your manner.

saying that, I have been vaping for 2 years, but I keep it discrete. I do not vape on the street in public . I vape at home or if out in a bar, but again discretely.

when I go out , mod that i take with me looks nothing like vaping machine would , no external tank. One of those latest funny looking boxes.

vaping helped me quit smoking , and my health is worth more that Thai silly law.

you can buy all the gear locally , but rather expansive. Plenty of local sites with more reasonably prices and large range of ejuice . 1-3 day delivery

Now, on how to bring it in. Very important you remove battery from the mod. If battery is in the mod , X-ray can see it’s an ecig, do not ask me how. But just recently went through Don Mueang and they could see in X-ray . 

So battery removed , keep mod, battery and tank all separately and there should not be any problems 

Great publicly-visible advice on breaking Thai law.

5 hours ago, SS1 said:

Why do you think you were searched? Where where you? At what tims?

It's another example of "Thainess." Remember not too long ago dart boards were illegal in bars? No real law against it, the BiB declared it, so another short term form of extortion was made available. If it were me, I'd leave all that stuff at home and try to buy local, or as it's a vacation, buy some ciggies. 

28 minutes ago, quandow said:

It's another example of "Thainess." Remember not too long ago dart boards were illegal in bars? No real law against it, the BiB declared it, so another short term form of extortion was made available. If it were me, I'd leave all that stuff at home and try to buy local, or as it's a vacation, buy some ciggies. 

As an ex smoker I can tell you last thing you want to do is go back to cigs.

vaping helps to quit but it’s not like changing gears in your car . Initial period is hard, including nightmares, insomnia and in my case insane craving for sugar. Chances of getting it found in the airport is minimal and as long as one is discrete , there is nothing to worry about 

Also have lots of new options pod mods, Thai BIB would not even know what it is , as it’s nlt sold locally .

i have one of those for when I am out and even vapers have no idea what it is ????

4 hours ago, BestB said:

vaping helps to quit but it’s not like changing gears in your car . Initial period is hard, including nightmares, insomnia and in my case insane craving for sugar. Chances of getting it found in the airport is minimal and as long as one is discrete , there is nothing to worry about 

Also have lots of new options pod mods, Thai BIB would not even know what it is , as it’s nlt sold locally .

i have one of those for when I am out and even vapers have no idea what it is ????

Damn! They look like a usb stick. That would probably satisfy everyone:
https://www.electrictobacconist.com/pod-mods-c51

9 hours ago, The manic said:

Why do you think you were searched? Where where you? At what tims?

Both times were after midnight on nights out, never happened to me before in the past 3 years in Bangkok but to be fair, I rarely go out to party. First time was on Soi 13 after one of the local "dark fellows" started randomly talking to me as a cop was going past on a motorcycle. The cop was being pretty annoying, accusing us of being drug users even though we were just passing by from a NYE condo party to a club and 100% clean, but luckily didn't care about the e-cig. Second time was around 2AM at the Khlong Toey intersection passing through in a taxi. I heard it's a common checkpoint that's there on many weekends. This time the cops were polite and laughing with us. 

i have one of those for when I am out and even vapers have no idea what it is [emoji6]

Funny having been a militant smoker for over 20 years I was now and then thinking about stopping.

My sister gave me Allen Carr’s book for my birthday which I read on and off until you realize that smoking is nothing but a psychological problem.

Yes nicotine is addictive as he explains in his book even faster than heroin but the addiction is not very strong.

The nicotine level in your body drops every 20 minutes or so - this is why most people smoke one pack a day.
On nights out drinking I would smoke 60 to 80 back when most establishments still allowed smoking.

I walked into a shopping center and after 20 minutes the only thing I could think of his how do I get out of here to have a cigarette this little smoking stick starts to control your life

But then reading the book you suddenly start to realize that you don’t get up in the middle of the night because your nicotine level drops and you need a fix - you are sitting on an airplane for 6, 8 , 10 or 12 hours and you can’t lights up so why do you run to one of those disgusting stinking smoking rooms when you are actually already over your addiction.

I talked to a colleague of mine who had stopped smoking and ask her when the first cravings for a cigarette came after she stopped and she said - never!

Then on a cold winters day - I already had a cold and lit up a cigarette took a puff and started to cough terribly and could not stop - I thought by myself are you crazy do you want to kill yourself?

I put out the cigarette and never ever touched one again that was 15 years ago and the great thing is I never really had a craving to light one again.

Looking back later how afraid I was when I started thinking about stopping first - today I can say it was one of the easiest things I have done in my life.

It’s only in your head - because the addiction is over once you make up your mind and you don’t light a cigarette - once you put your willpower to it and tell yourself that’s it I quit - you just put out your last cigarette and that really is it.

It’s really that simple - no need for substitute cigarettes / gums that supply your body with nicotine.
You have already beaten your addiction approximately 20 minutes after you put out the last one!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Days old already but yes, OP, have them leave their gear at home to avoid potential nonsense at the airport, and just buy some here.  Widely available at markets, can also get online, EMS to the house in 2 days.

Archived