Phuket Governor assures Phuket “we’re ready to handle any tsunami”

webfact

Phuket Governor assures Phuket “we’re ready to handle any tsunami”

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__34545687.jpg

The Phuket Governor Pakkapong Tawipat is assuring Phuketians and tourists of the island’s readiness to handle any tsunami.

Governor Pakkapong says, “It’s not only Phuket that is paying attention to the recent tsunami in Sulawesi, but also the nation. We are totally ready to help people and tourists if any similar event was to occur.”

“We are keeping an eye for earthquakes in two main locations. One is in the Indian Ocean. If any earthquake happened there, we could alert people within 1.45 hours. Another location is 29 kilometres from Phuket. If an earthquake happened we could alert people with a 50 minute warning.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-governor-assures-phuket-were-ready-to-handle-any-tsunami

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-10-04

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Another location is 29 kilometres from Phuket. If an earthquake happened we could alert people with a 50 minute warning

Uhm isn't that a bit slow? Better hope the Tsunami travels at much less than 30km/h or people wont have time to react.

For example, if the Pacific Ocean is considered to have a depth of 5000 metres, the velocity of a tsunami would be the square root of √(5000 × 10) = √50000 = ~224 metres per second (735 feet per second), which equates to a speed of ~806 kilometres per hour.

As the tsunami approaches the coast and the waters become shallow, wave shoaling compresses the wave and its speed decreases below 80 kilometres per hour

From Wikipedia. Doesn't look like a 50 minutes reaction time for something happening 29 km away will be close to good enough.

Or did I misunderstand the article and they mean a 50 minute time before the Tsunami would strike land? That would mean an instant alarm and a speed of 35km/h for the Tsunami.

• Like 1

Tsunami travel at 500 miles per hour. Is this some kind of idiot in office. Or the person writinb the article ?

If a tsunami hits where the 2004 hit there is less than 20 minutes after banda aceh is destroyed before phuket gets its wave.

If another tsunsmi comes to phuket like the 2004 thousands will die again. There is no change in phukets fate. Road signs mean nothing.  This statement is foolish from a man just taking office. I give him 6 months tops. 

16 hours ago, webfact said:

“we’re ready to handle any tsunami”

As we all know from the past. The only big wave these guys are capable to handle is the one that wash up the international donations in the aftermath of such disaster.

• Like 1

I was there when that tsunami hit phuket and lost just about everything that I had. There was reports of a LOT of money being given to thailand and I never hear or saw any of it being given to anyone there. I still dont know what happened to any of it but I can guess.!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If a tsunami similar to that of 2004 was to hit Phuket again no doubt there would be many casualties, but nothing to the extent of that first one. Then, few even knew what a tsunami was, and virtually nobody was warned or thought to flee to higher ground. People were not alarmed by the earthquake miles away and many stood on the beaches watching the approaching waves without being aware of the danger.

The population are now hyper aware of this danger, and, even if the alarm systems are not working, nearly everyone has access to social media one way or another and the alert will get to most. For years after, Thai people would ask my opinion about when the next one would come. 

If another tsunami heads our way, panic will ensue as it did six or seven years ago when there was a warning following a large quake in the same area as the 2004 one. I got caught up in a traffic jam of vehicles trying to get up Big Buddha Hill even though there was no chance of any tsunami getting that far inland on the eastern side.