North Korea joins South Korean protest over Japan's 'Rising Sun' flag

webfact

North Korea joins South Korean protest over Japan's 'Rising Sun' flag

By Joyce Lee

2018-10-05T051452Z_1_LYNXNPEE94085_RTROPTP_4_SOUTHKOREA-JAPAN-FLAG.JPG

A sailor raises the Japanese naval ensign on the deck of Japanese helicopter carrier Kaga before its departure for naval drills in the Indian Ocean, Indonesia September 22, 2018. Picture taken on September 22, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

SEOUL (Reuters) - Japan should refrain from flying the "Rising Sun" flag on a warship in a fleet review planned in South Korea next week, a North Korean propaganda website said on Friday, joining South Koreans in the latest spat over the countries' colonial history.

Relations between the neighbours and Japan have long been strained by lingering resentment over Japanese colonization, territorial disputes and the issue of girls and women forced to work in Japan's wartime brothels.

Many people in both Koreas see the red-and-white flag as a symbol of Japan’s past military aggression and its occupation of the Korean peninsula from 1910 to 1945.

"The 'Rising Sun' flag is a war-crime flag that the 20th-century Japanese imperialists used when executing their barbaric invasions into our nation and other Asian nations," North Korea's state-controlled Uriminjokkiri website said.

"Planning to enter flying the 'Rising Sun' flag is an unbearable insult and ridicule to our people."

In South Korea, which has formally asked Japan to reconsider flying the flag, articles about the controversy are among the most widely read on social media, with the president's office receiving 250 petitions for the Japanese ship to be barred.

The South Korean Navy said on Friday that Japanese naval ships flew the ensign when they participated in fleet reviews in 1998 and 2008, but it has asked all ships at this year's naval review to display national flags and the South Korean flag.

The "Rising Sun" ensign, used by the Japanese Imperial Navy in campaigns around Asia and the Pacific before and during World War Two, was adopted by the Maritime Self-Defense Force in 1954.

Variations of the flag are used by the ground Self-Defense Force and on the fatigues of some Japanese sailors, but some South Koreans liken the ensign to Nazi symbols such as the swastika.

Japanese officials have signalled the flag will be flown, despite the protests.

"Hoisting of the Maritime Self-Defence Force ensign is required by law," Katsutoshi Kawano, the chief of staff of Japan's Self Defence Forces, told reporters on Thursday.

"Members take pride in the ensign, and we will never go there with the flag unhoisted."

South Korea's foreign ministry had "conveyed our stance that the Japanese side should fully consider the Rising Sun flag's emotional connotation to our people," Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said on Thursday.

Japan is a key player in United States-led efforts to isolate and punish North Korea over its nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

But it has remained a major target of criticism, despite warming ties between Pyongyang and Seoul as the North's leader Kim Jong Un engaged in a flurry of diplomacy this year, during which he also met leaders of the United States and China.

Japan and South Korea often trade barbs over disputed islands known as Takeshima in Japan and Dokdo in Korea.

(Additional reporting by Tim Kelly and Kiyoshi Takenaka in TOKYO; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-05
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

Given the West's revulsion of the Nazi Swastika, I understand the two Koreas feelings

regarding the Rising Sun flag. As much as I like and respect Japan/Japanese, no country

has done more to whitewash it's 20th-century war crimes past. 

Oh really, HIroshima, Nagaski, Tokyo civilian fire bombing, Dresden incineration of 35,000 civilians in one night? Yes, western civilization. Grow up, learn to read, and get back to us.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

What has North Korea done to take responsibility for the deaths and injury brought about by its attacks against South Korea?

South Korea - (217,000 military, 1,000,000 civilian)
North Korea - (406,000 military, 600,000 civilian)

US Deaths: Total In-Theatre 36,574; Wounded in Action - 103,284

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/28/world/asia/korean-war-fast-facts/index.html

No armistice. No surrender.

Japan Mainland - 453,000 people killed from US attacks

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/03/10/national/deadly-wwii-u-s-firebombing-raids-on-japanese-cities-largely-ignored/#.W7da-vZoTIU

Unconditional surrender & occupation

About time North Korea change its murderous flag and regime.

Oh dear, the child is quoting CNN. Give the child a lollipop. And another Ritalin, before it wakes up. DO SOME RESEARCH!  

4 hours ago, Media1 said:

Top flag l like it. I don't like Korea so stick to your poo stars and noodles. Rocket man

Will the out flowing of genius never cease? Can there be too many Einsteins in one place? I shudder with humility...No just joking at the moron gathering. Good catch today. Gerald, apply Moronicide. Zap. Time for a chilled Chablis.  

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, jgarbo said:

No that's Stars & Stripes. The Japanese  naval flag is too fancy. The Japanese national flag is Zen, a red circle on white, perfect.

Damn I am dumb.  I thought it was supposed to be advertising for a glory hole.  :cheesy:

Yes Korea, you're right to be against this rising sun flag. Japan did massive war crimes during World War Two.

I'm British, and I hate the Nazi flag from Germany in World War Two. We must never forget the lessons from history.

In Europe, if a bunch of Germans got out a Nazi flag, everybody would be outraged. Why on earth should we tolerate a flag from Japan that was used during World War Two. By the way, how many servicemen from Britain, America and Australia died fighting against the Japanese ? It was loads. People tend to think that World War Two was against just Germany. It wasn't. It was against Japan as well.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:21 AM, wombat said:

with everything that is going on in the world i guess comic relief is better than nothing

On 10/5/2018 at 10:43 AM, Media1 said:

Top flag l like it. I don't like Korea so stick to your poo stars and noodles. Rocket man

What are you guys on about ?  In Europe, Germans getting out a Nazi flag would be regarded as being outrageous. That's because Germany killed loads of people, and six million Jews, during World War Two. You do realise, Japan killed nearly as many people, or more, in Asia during World War Two ?

Why regard the rising sun flag as no big deal, but be outraged by the Nazi flag at the same time ??

The rising sun flag has been used since the 50's without many protests on the part of South Korea.

Reminds me of a bunch of Americans who started screaming about Japanese tourists using what they interpreted to be 'V' for victory signs at Pearl Harbour some years ago..

I am very sure that the Japanese will not haul down the flag under which they sailed to victory against the Russians in 1905...

The 'swastika' flag is linked  with one regime only...between 1934 and 1945-altho' of course,the Finns used it on their national markings as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The rising sun flag has been used since the 50's without many protests on the part of South Korea.

Reminds me of a bunch of Americans who started screaming about Japanese tourists using what they interpreted to be 'V' for victory signs at Pearl Harbour some years ago..

I am very sure that the Japanese will not haul down the flag under which they sailed to victory against the Russians in 1905...

The 'swastika' flag is linked  with one regime only...between 1934 and 1945-altho' of course,the Finns used it on their national markings as well.

Hello "Odysseus".  ????

Okay, most of the comments you make on Thai Visa are sensible and I support them. About this rising sun flag. How about this ?  Japan is being silly when using this flag. When this flag is raised, people across the Far East do actually feel uncomfortable about it. People in the Far are united in their 'resentment' towards this flag. People in North Korea, South Korea, mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc, don't actually like it. And indeed, there's people in America, Britain and Australia who don't like this flag. So, Japan is actually unifying people across the Far East, in resentment, when they use this flag.

Now, all these countries, they have not got a problem with Japanese cars and Japanse tourists being in their country. There's people in all these countries who won't have a problem with going to Japan for a holiday. I say with a smirk on my face, the reason why people don't go to Japan for a holiday is, is because it's very expensive. So, people haven't go a problem with the Japanese today. It's just that, people don't want to see symbols that Japan used during World War Two. 

Is it really asking that much, for Japan to not use this flag ? If a bunch of Japanese men in Japan itself, they get drunk in a bar, and they start chanting "Japan lost World War Two, but we, Japan, we won the peace", well, they're doing it in Japan. No outsiders can see it. That way, it's not going to cause a problem.

But the flag, everybody on earth can see it.

32 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Hello "Odysseus".  ????

Okay, most of the comments you make on Thai Visa are sensible and I support them. About this rising sun flag. How about this ?  Japan is being silly when using this flag. When this flag is raised, people across the Far East do actually feel uncomfortable about it. People in the Far are united in their 'resentment' towards this flag. People in North Korea, South Korea, mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc, don't actually like it. And indeed, there's people in America, Britain and Australia who don't like this flag. So, Japan is actually unifying people across the Far East, in resentment, when they use this flag.

Now, all these countries, they have not got a problem with Japanese cars and Japanse tourists being in their country. There's people in all these countries who won't have a problem with going to Japan for a holiday. I say with a smirk on my face, the reason why people don't go to Japan for a holiday is, is because it's very expensive. So, people haven't go a problem with the Japanese today. It's just that, people don't want to see symbols that Japan used during World War Two. 

Is it really asking that much, for Japan to not use this flag ? If a bunch of Japanese men in Japan itself, they get drunk in a bar, and they start chanting "Japan lost World War Two, but we, Japan, we won the peace", well, they're doing it in Japan. No outsiders can see it. That way, it's not going to cause a problem.

But the flag, everybody on earth can see it.

Tonbridge..

May I also say that I appreciate your posts..

But..if I was an Indian I would probably crap all over the Union Jack..a Koori-the Aussie flag...an American African the stars and stripes..you know the one between 1776 and 1864..

The list is endless..

By the way (not diminishing anything the Japanese did prior to or during the Second World War) but the Japanese are still asking about the whereabouts of their missing hundreds of thousands of troops 'lost' to the Russians and Chinese at the end of WW2-most were worked to death as slave labor..

There are not so many totally 'good guys' in history.

The Japanese will stick to their flag.

Actually they will probably do so more then ever now..

There are two extremely good history bookswritten on this subject..'Embracing Defeat' and 'Forgotten Wars'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracing_Defeat

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/mar/04/historybooks.features

Edited by Odysseus123

Odysseus, how can I put this.

The economy in mainland China is growing rapidly, and South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc, their economies are not shrinking. These places do a huge amount of trade with Japan.

I think that it's vital for Japan to have good economic ties with these countries. Yes, the economy, it's what it's all about. Why would Japan want to antagonise the other Far East countries ? Antagonising them will reduce Japan's economic growth. Surely, it's ridiculious to antagonise major trade partners, just because a country wants to bring out a certain flag or symbol?

Why did you make the comment about India wanting to crap onto the Union Jack ??  The Indian government, they don't actually regard the British flag as offensive, they're not calling for it's removal. And the Indian government, that Union Jack, it makes no difference to whatever trade or other economic links between Britain and India.

But that particular Japanese flag. I think it does slightly hold back increased trade and economic links between Japan and the other Far East countries.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Odysseus, how can I put this.

The economy in mainland China is growing rapidly, and South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc, their economies are not shrinking. These places do a huge amount of trade with Japan.

I think that it's vital for Japan to have good economic ties with these countries. Yes, the economy, it's what it's all about. Why would Japan want to antagonise the other Far East countries ? Antagonising them will reduce Japan's economic growth. Surely, it's ridiculious to antagonise major trade partners, just because a country wants to bring out a certain flag or symbol?

Why did you make the comment about India wanting to crap onto the Union Jack ??  The Indian government, they don't actually regard the British flag as offensive, they're not calling for it's removal. And the Indian government, that Union Jack, it makes no difference to whatever trade or other economic links between Britain and India.

But that particular Japanese flag. I think it does slightly hold back increased trade and economic links between Japan and the other Far East countries.

Tonbridge,

Interesting conversation..

'The Union Jack' for precisely the same reason as I mentioned other flags..

I don't think that the Japanese are being held back..and they do,after all.have the second biggest and proficient navy in the Pacific.

Japanese has been flying her 'navy' flag since the mid 1950's when they finally got the grossly exploitative Americans off their back..

Anyway-a bit of history-the Japanese navy march..splendid ships and gallant men.

Edited by Odysseus123

The Japanese started their antics in imitation of Western Imperialism, took their beating and have been responsible world citizens since. 

Cut them a break. The world is so full of whinging its ridiculous. Should we ditch the Union Jack because of Armritsar? Or Old Glory because of Wounded Knee? Or the Chinese Flag because of the Cultural Revolution or Tibet?

If you cant tell the difference between the Nazi Party Flag and the national flag of any other country, o well.

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2018 at 10:02 PM, jgarbo said:

Oh dear, the child is quoting CNN. Give the child a lollipop. And another Ritalin, before it wakes up. DO SOME RESEARCH!  

Goodness me, this poster has the most acerbic tone and his posts are so didactic, missed his vocation on the inquisition I suspect.