Bangkok Post

Briggsy

The Bangkok Post, which I have read for several years, appears to be on the downward slide.

Today the lead headline in the Business Section contains a basic spelling error. This is just amazingly third-rate.

"Reserviors a must for developers."

What advantage does the BKK Post have over the net? If I see a free copy in a shop I will read the Thai news and letter section, nothing else. The sport is about a day and a half late.

My particular favourite BKK Post trick is when they have half page adds in the Thai section, to make up for a lack of news.

No news today - so here's a Rolex advert!

Before the editor was fired for exposing the airport cracks in the media last year, the BKK Post had a spine. Since then, and especially since the coup, it has lost all its journalistic integrity and is now merely another mouthpiece of the current gov't. Very sad to see.

The Post is still much better than the Nation.

The odd spolling mistake can be ignored as the news seems to be from a broader range of sources and the photos tend to be much better. I like the Post's habit of including quirky pictures with little more than a heading.

As for spineless, lets just take a poke around the squeaky clean Thai Visa.

The Post is still much better than the Nation.

The odd spolling mistake can be ignored as the news seems to be from a broader range of sources and the photos tend to be much better. I like the Post's habit of including quirky pictures with little more than a heading.

As for spineless, lets just take a poke around the squeaky clean Thai Visa.

Are you employed by the Bangkok Post, sir?

P.S. I'm so squeaky clean, you can hear me coming. :o

The odd spolling mistake can be ignored...

I laughed out loud. Really? With the multitude of computerized spell checkers, or having someone else proofread your writing, etc., there's little excuse. Bottom line. It's unprofessional. And, it is just another symptom of the BKK Post's fast downward slide.

In my university journalism classes I give a zero score to students who have spelling errors on key assignments. This is the normal MO for writing classes to prepare them for the real world. Your comment, my friend, is not from the real world of world-class or even national-class journalism. Maybe your reading, my friend, has been limited to the local photocopied moo-ban newsletter.

Yes, I make the "odd spoiling error" too--but it's when I haven't bothered to send it through spell-checker, or checked it myself, or when I don't care about who sees the final outcome (like posting to a thread--after all, I AM anonymous--or a quick email to a close friend). But a HEADLINE for a national English-language newspaper? In that case, one should be more concerned about their professional reputation.

Edited by toptuan

Well,why make a big a issue on it??In my native country,the Netherlands,I see regurarly spelling faults on a daily occasion.And thailand with the bangkok Post,is not a native English writing country as well.I wonder how the Dutch papers or anywhere else will do in a other language other then their own.....

Not a big issue,I think they cope pretty well,not matter what.should give them a little bit more credit.

Maybe the BKK Post, like other MNCs here in Thailand, have decided they no longer need their "overpaid" Farang management and that "Thais can do the same job at a fraction of the cost".

As for thaivisa being spineless, why is that?

I can understand the extraordinary PC because it's run by people from Farangland who choose to be that way and don't truly represent those of us who are living in Thailand (afterall, it is supposed to be an expat site, is it not?), but why the excessive censorship about what we say about Thailand?

I laughed out loud. Really? With the multitude of computerized spell checkers, or having someone else proofread your writing, etc., there's little excuse. Bottom line. It's unprofessional. And, it is just another symptom of the BKK Post's fast downward slide.

In my university journalism classes I give a zero score to students who have spelling errors on key assignments. This is the normal MO for writing classes to prepare them for the real world. Your comment, my friend, is not from the real world of world-class or even national-class journalism. Maybe your reading, my friend, has been limited to the local photocopied moo-ban newsletter.

Yes, I make the "odd spoiling error" too--but it's when I haven't bothered to send it through spell-checker, or checked it myself, or when I don't care about who sees the final outcome (like posting to a thread--after all, I AM anonymous--or a quick email to a close friend). But a HEADLINE for a national English-language newspaper? In that case, one should be more concerned about their professional reputation.

Spell check won't pick up 'spoiling' errors toptaun, stupid computer programs should write what we mean, not what we say!!

Spill chukkas are ale very wall as lung as the misspelled ward doesn't bake another wort. I think they are responsible for all those folks who complain about being charged 20 Bath by songtaews in Pattaya.

I think the BP has gone downhill ever since they bowed to pressure and got rid of Trink. It's still the best English language newspaper in Thailand.

I can understand the extraordinary PC because it's run by people from Farangland who choose to be that way and don't truly represent those of us who are living in Thailand (afterall, it is supposed to be an expat site, is it not?), but why the excessive censorship about what we say about Thailand?

If you don't like the Forum Rules, feel free to post on another website.

ThaiVisa's rules and moderation are not up for discussion here... please stay on topic.

If I buy a newspaper it is generally the post because I love the agony aunts section. I do think however that the quality of reporting has diminished in the last couple of years. Still better than the Nation IMHO.

As an aside, I have been reading a book about Jim Thomson. There is a spelling mistake every couple of pages which is astonishing considering it would have been sold outside Thailand :o

they lost their bite long time ago.

they've mainly become a ad paper.

during the difficult times last year they did not print one risky story, whereas the nation jumped out of the window on a daily basis.

once thaksin was gone the post found back to some courage, but it was not courage anymore.

they still got some very good thinkers and writers, but the downfall started about the time bernard trink had to leave with his night owl ...

seriously, the old bangkok post was way juicier, peppier and still solid.

look what they've done with their reporter breaking the news on cracks in suvarnabhumis runways.

not a hint of support, even now.

Both the Nation and Bangkok Post are guilty of printing just what the present government wants them to print. Neither paper has printed articles which document how the new airport construction issues have been manipulated to justify the coup and reap huge profits for military-related runway "fix-it" firms. At least the Pattaya Mail had some balls on that one!

I don't consider myself a snob, but when I encounter spelling and grammar mistakes I automatically adjust my credibility level just a bit lower. I can't seem to help it. I was an editor in a previous life and could proofread the entire Post in an hour or two. I just wonder--since they are publishing in English--why a native speaker is not employed to do this simple chore.

I admire those for whom English is a second language who post on Thai Visa. That is a whole diferent kettle of fish.

I am glad it's not just me! I have been reading the post for many, many years and I remember in the 1992 coup, when they had a big blank in the front page because it had been censored--rather than fill it with something else, they let the world know what was going on by printing a blank.

Sometime after the "cracks in the runway" story, it seemed like it began to go down hill. Lots of things not reported, or not reported fully. By the time the new Coup came along we had more news about the Chiang Mai flower show than anything else.

Even some of the wording and paragraph structure is such that it won't draw any controversy. Sometimes in the South they report about a bomb blast injuring two and when you read the article, buried at the bottom is something about several people being killed!

It's scary. It used to take me hours to get through the paper, now I can get through it in 15 minutes.

Today's Nation has a front page photo of Surayud golfing in Phuket with Badawi while the South blows itself up and the various fiascos continue. No criticism at all! If this had been Thaksin doing this they would have had critical editorials, critical editorials disguised as news, critical comics endlessly!

Today's Nation has a front page photo of Surayud golfing in Phuket with Badawi while the South blows itself up and the various fiascos continue. No criticism at all! If this had been Thaksin doing this they would have had critical editorials, critical editorials disguised as news, critical comics endlessly!

"Now watch this drive"

G.W.Bush

Both the Nation and Bangkok Post are guilty of printing just what the present government wants them to print. Neither paper has printed articles which document how the new airport construction issues have been manipulated to justify the coup and reap huge profits for military-related runway "fix-it" firms. At least the Pattaya Mail had some balls on that one!

We all know that The Nation are pretty much pro-new govt and truly anti-Thaksin and his cronies but they still stick to the task of printing 'what they want to say'.

Let me afford you an example. On the day following the military coup, the country's media were ordered to write nothing critical of the coup and the leaders. At The Nation, the sub-editors, after hearing this news on The Internet, walked to their bosses and asked "So, what will we write?" They were told "Write what ya want!".

While the Bkk Post was much more hesitant to print any columns critical of the coup, The Nation immediately posted one by Giles Ungpakorn which was severely anti-coup (the first person also to arrange a demonstration against the coup - at Siam Square).

Knowing how things are they, i can tell you, you can pretty much write what the heck you want.......

Edited by stevesuphan

Usually, what a newspaper is willing to print or not print depends on who ultimately owns the newspaper. For a number of years, The Nation has been much more willing to allow the reporting of current events than the Post has allowed. As you will recall, it wasn't too long ago that Thaksin used AMLO to go after the editors of The Nation for their printing articles questioning his leadership, while the Post sat on the sidelines.

Spell check won't pick up 'spoiling' errors toptaun, stupid computer programs should write what we mean, not what we say!!

You're exactly right, and that's why we have HUMAN proof-readers in newspaper, magazine, and internet companies. BKK Post has got 'em. Use 'em.

I don't consider myself a snob, but when I encounter spelling and grammar mistakes I automatically adjust my credibility level just a bit lower. I can't seem to help it. I was an editor in a previous life and could proofread the entire Post in an hour or two. I just wonder--since they are publishing in English--why a native speaker is not employed to do this simple chore.

I admire those for whom English is a second language who post on Thai Visa. That is a whole diferent kettle of fish.

I'm glad you made this point. It's not about snobbery. It's about a level of trust that a media organization should be able to engender in it's recipients: from double-checking the accuracy of their facts, right down to the spelling, grammar and punctuation. One does support the other, as the poster has so ably demonstrated.

And, after years of trying to learn Thai, my hat is also off to the Thais who delve into our English-speaking world and post here. You are welcome for your ideas and contributions, not whether all your "i's" are dotted and "t's" are crossed. (I guess in the computer age, that's not an issue any more, is it? :o )

What advantage does the BKK Post have over the net? If I see a free copy in a shop I will read the Thai news and letter section, nothing else. The sport is about a day and a half late.

My particular favourite BKK Post trick is when they have half page adds in the Thai section, to make up for a lack of news.

you are aware that newspapers survive by advertising arent you?

a rolex ad on page one means rolex paid top money for an ad on page 1. some "trick".

it really isnt a difficult concept.

you are aware that newspapers survive by advertising arent you?

a rolex ad on page one means rolex paid top money for an ad on page 1. some "trick".

it really isnt a difficult concept.

Yes, until you turn to page 3,4,6,8,9 and also see full page Rolex ads and no news :o

I can't read the BKK Post anymore, it's like reading a pamplet you picked up at a government rally. Seems like they have a new front page article for every single one of the 100 cracks in the new runways.

Both have really turned into rags, I agree with the 15 minute deal, I just look forward to the sorry #ss farang rants about double pricing etc. I do think since the coup the Nation has been editorial stronger.

Sports are just pick up things from wire services, ok, they cannot have a guy at the gammes except locally but look around a bit.........in sports the Post has Edward Thangarajah who is quite good, but then every Sunday the still publish his editor Roger Crutchley with his rehashed memoirs. He was goos 20 years ago with Column 5 but now it is as good as his sports editing.

Maybe the BKK Post, like other MNCs here in Thailand, have decided they no longer need their "overpaid" Farang management and that "Thais can do the same job at a fraction of the cost".

Anti Thai sentiments are not usually appreciated on a Thailand based site. ThaiVisa is run by residents of Thailand ( just for your information )

Toptuan! Take a look at where the E and the O sit on your keyboard. Maybe it was a joke. I think they are still allowed on T.V.

Taking on board what many have said, I can see most points about the Bangkok Post. I too get bored of reading letters from the same group. Another today from 'Mango'.

Is there a rival in Thai print? I mentioned something that I had read in the Post to somebody I work with, who was reading a Thai newspaper, and they had no idea what I was on about.

I am glad it's not just me! I have been reading the post for many, many years and I remember in the 1992 coup, when they had a big blank in the front page because it had been censored--rather than fill it with something else, they let the world know what was going on by printing a blank.

Though even then I think that The Nation went ahead and printed their stories anyway, defying the censors. My memory's a bit hazy but I seem to recall people feeling that the Post had 'chickened out' by comparison.