Kavanaugh says he's unchanged by bitter U.S. Supreme Court confirmation

webfact

Kavanaugh says he's unchanged by bitter U.S. Supreme Court confirmation

2018-10-09T001657Z_1_LYNXNPEE9800J_RTROPTP_4_USA-COURT-KAVANAUGH.JPG

U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh walks along U.S. President Donald Trump and retired Justice Anthony Kennedy at his ceremonial public swearing-in in the East Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., October 8, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh said on Monday he was not changed by a "contentious and emotional" battle over his confirmation to the nation's highest court, which was imperiled by sexual misconduct allegations.

Speaking at a White House ceremony, Kavanaugh said: "Although the Senate confirmation process tested me as it has tested others, it did not change me."

(Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-09

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kavanaugh seeks new tone after Supreme Court fight; Trump apologises for process

By Jeff Mason

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh sought to put a bruising confirmation battle behind him on Monday at a White House ceremony in which President Donald Trump declared him innocent of sexual misconduct and apologised for the heated process.

"On behalf of our nation, I want to apologise to Brett and the entire Kavanaugh family for the terrible pain and suffering you have been forced to endure," Trump said at the start of a ceremonial swearing-in in the East Room of the White House.

"Those who step forward to serve our country deserve a fair and dignified evaluation, not a campaign of political and personal destruction based on lies and deception," he said.

Kavanaugh's confirmation process exploded in controversy after California university professor Christine Blasey Ford went public with allegations that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in 1982, while they were in high school.

Kavanaugh gave a forceful, emotional denial of those allegations during testimony before lawmakers that some Democrats said showed a lack of judicial temperament. The U.S. Senate voted 50-48 on Saturday to confirm him, with just one Democrat supporting him.

Kavanaugh said on Monday that he was starting his new job without bitterness, seeking to set a new tone after the divisive process.

"The Senate confirmation process was contentious and emotional. That process is over. My focus now is to be the best justice I can be," he said with his wife and children standing nearby.

He said he would aim to be a force for stability and unity on the court, whose other eight members all attended the White House ceremony.

"Although the Senate confirmation process tested me as it has tested others, it did not change me," he said.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Additional reporting by Eric Beech, David Alexander and Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-09

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Oh...so he is still a drunkard misogynist with anger issues and a possible sexual offender!

You be you, boo!

:coffee1:

Oh my dear underlingcuthulu....you are right to be confused, as ...of course...I forgot to mention, that he will also remain to be a crazy conspiracy- theorist!

My bad!

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'd say the odds are fairly good there will be sexual misconduct from him while he's a Supreme Court justice. He got away with it before, and the leopard can't change his spots.

Well I guess his 4 female law clerks will find out. Never been 4 female law clerks for a Supreme Court justice before. Hey one is black too....thats as many as Justice Ginsburg has had.

Now you can look at it two ways:

1. Because he has daughters, he sincerely believes in promoting the interests of women to ensure that his kids can live life on an equal playing field. Clerking for a Justice of the Supreme Court is a fast track to better things, such as Judgeships and Senior Partnerships where women are underrepresented,

or

2. He is a filthy mysoginistic rapist who puts women in positions of power so that he can degrade them sexually to satisfy his disgusting drunken urges of lust and fornication.....

Now he has had tons of female law clerks in the past, I know that they are ready to come forward to testify about the Max Hardcore scenes in his chambers, yeah Daddy, yeah.....hello? Hello? *crickets*

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well I guess his 4 female law clerks will find out. Never been 4 female law clerks for a Supreme Court justice before. Hey one is black too....thats as many as Justice Ginsburg has had.

1. Because he has daughters, he sincerely believes in promoting the interests of women to ensure that his kids can live life on an equal playing field. Clerking for a Justice of the Supreme Court is a fast track to better things, such as Judgeships and Senior Partnerships where women are underrepresented,

or

2. He is a filthy mysoginistic rapist who puts women in positions of power so that he can degrade them sexually to satisfy his disgusting drunken urges of lust and fornication.....

Now he has had tons of female law clerks in the past, I know that they are ready to come forward to testify about the Max Hardcore scenes in his chambers, yeah Daddy, yeah.....hello? Hello? *crickets*

That must be the dumbest pile of BS, I have read in a long time!

This is basically the "I can not be a racist- I know black people"- defense!

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

or

A poor attempt at a reductio ad absurdum. I don't know what goes on in the man's head, and neither do you. We also don't know whether his alcohol consumption influences his behaviour and memory..

It's all very well to indignantly deny misconduct in a Senate hearing when you are presumably stone cold sober, but how would you know if you were having an alcoholic blackout?

As a non-American, IMHO partisan politics with the end justifying the means is tearing the US apart. Sad to see.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

A poor attempt at a reductio ad absurdum. I don't know what goes on in the man's head, and neither do you. We also don't know whether his alcohol consumption influences his behaviour and memory..

It's all very well to indignantly deny misconduct in a Senate hearing when you are presumably stone cold sober, but how would you know if you were having an alcoholic blackout?

As a non-American, IMHO partisan politics with the end justifying the means is tearing the US apart. Sad to see.

Not only in America i'm afraid.

Big part of politics in these days is to paint one's opponent in dark colours.

36 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Got an alternative scenario then, other than ad hominems?

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ad hominem means attacking the person. He's attacking your post, and giving his reason.

I recommend "Straight and Crooked Thinking" by RH Thouless to you, as you seem to be in need of it.

So he's still bitter and vengeful?  Got it.

I would say he's going to have to recuse himself quite a lot in the future, but recusing one's self requires that you have integrity.  That's one thing he's demonstrated he has none of.

25 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
1 hour ago, DM07 said:

It was a shot at your post, not a shot at you.

Surely you can't believe that K. is a good choice because he has a daughter.. Or because he has some female staff around him.

Is it too much to ask to have decent people in very high positions ?

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A poor attempt at a reductio ad absurdum.

Really. Well is it one or the other? Do you have an alternative scenario or view? Alcoholic blackouts? Any hint of that since college days? Any hint of that in 7 FBI investigations?

Why would he have appointed so many women then? Because he likes their looks? Because hes afraid of other men? Or because hes a sexual predator? Since everyone is so quick to analyze his character and motives, what does his unquestioned record of hiring and mentoring women lawyers mean?

In point of fact: Since his record is apparently unblemished by alleged scandal since no later than his undergrad days at Yale, doesnt his unblemished record as a Judge of promoting women to positions of power mean that he is not a mysogynistic, perverted, blackout drunk sexual abusing rapist? Or have his law clerks told us different? Which is it?

Seems that when some hard questions are asked the responses are: deflection, stupid, BS reductio ad absurdum (that doesnt really apply, but thats another thread), right wing, Trump lover etc etc ad nauseum (and that does apply).

If you object to Associate Justice Kavanaugh because he is a constitutional originalist, thats fine, you are taking a position that is defensible. If you object to Associate Justice Kavanaugh because you consider him to be "tainted" due to President Trump, thats fine too even though IMHO its indefensible and silly. If you object to him on the grounds that his temperament is wanting due to his speech at the hearing, you are making an argument that can be debated by rational folks.

But if you are making the argument that he is and was a sexual predator, you are basically libeling someone. Whether or not the Mods agree with that characterization and choose to allow it or not isnt my call. Whether its actionable isnt my call, and It doesnt affect me in the slightest.

But the questions I ask are designed to make people think about what they say about someone, and the lack of answers other than insults is telling. I want to be told I am wrong, give me a rational argument then.

And I am having a helluva time getting my whites clean with this weird Thai detergent. Happy soap bubbles dancing doesnt make it Oxyclean.

41 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If it would have been ad hominem (and believe me: I would have some of that for you, if you ask for it!), I would now "enjoying" a posting- pause!

I attacked your message, though!

I hope, you will survive!

27 minutes ago, DM07 said:

If it would have been ad hominem (and believe me: I would have some of that for you, if you ask for it!), I would now "enjoying" a posting- pause!

I attacked your message, though!

I hope, you will survive!

Trust me.... I have survived the worst. that life can offer and it isnt on the net.

Have you any answer to the issues I have raised then?

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Trust me.... I have survived the worst. that life can offer and it isnt on the net.

Have you any answer to the issues I have raised then?

Your "he has women in his staff, therefore he is an upstanding guy"- "issue"?

Nope, I don't!

And I think, you very well know, why!

But I'll tell you: the argument is so dumb, it does not valid a reply and it doesn't even remotely touch the issues I and a lot of other folks have with Kavanaugh.

With and on top of the sexual- assault allegations!

And before you start to think, I find you interesting enough to discuss this matter with you: you are mistaken!

Have a good day!

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Why would he have appointed so many women then? Because he likes their looks? 

'No accident' Brett Kavanaugh's female law clerks 'looked like models', Yale professor told students

A top professor at Yale Law School who strongly endorsed supreme court nominee Brett Kavanaugh as a “mentor to women” privately told a group of law students last year that it was “not an accident” that Kavanaugh’s female law clerks all “looked like models” and would provide advice to students about their physical appearance if they wanted to work for him, the Guardian has learned.

Amy Chua, a Yale professor who wrote a bestselling book on parenting called Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, was known for instructing female law students who were preparing for interviews with Kavanaugh on ways they could dress to exude a “model-like” femininity to help them win a post in Kavanaugh’s chambers, according to sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/20/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-yale-amy-chua

20 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Your "he has women in his staff, therefore he is an upstanding guy"- "issue"?

Nope, I don't!

And I think, you very well know, why!

But I'll tell you: the argument is so dumb, it does not valid a reply and it doesn't even remotely touch the issues I and a lot of other folks have with Kavanaugh.

With and on top of the sexual- assault allegations!

And before you start to think, I find you interesting enough to discuss this matter with you: you are mistaken!

Have a good day!

Translation:

"No, ya got me there, I cant answer, Im just wrong but dont want to admit it because I will lose face."

Gotcha. Next?

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Translation:

"No, ya got me there, I cant answer, Im just wrong but dont want to admit it because I will lose face."

Gotcha. Next?

Did you know, that Roy Moore's lawyer is a Jew?

Kavanaugh could have a million reasons, to have a bunch of female assistents.

Some, I really don't want to think about, in the light of the allegations of sexual assault.

Others might be, that women still get payed less than men.

Another could be, that he enjoys commanding around women.

Who knows?

But for you, it is a given, that he hired them, because he is a good guy and a feminist at heart!

And that is simply pathetic!

And now...please...take your silly little theory and run with it!

1 minute ago, DM07 said:

Did you know, that Roy Moore's lawyer is a Jew?

Kavanaugh could have a million reasons, to have a bunch of female assistents.

Some, I really don't want to think about, in the light of the allegations of sexual assault.

Others might be, that women still get payed less than men.

Another could be, that he enjoys commanding around women.

Who knows?

I'll give you another reason.

Because it is PC, and his supporters can use that as a semi-reasonable evidence that he has a high opinion of women.

5 hours ago, DM07 said:

Oh...so he is still a drunkard misogynist with anger issues and a possible sexual offender!

You be you, boo!

:coffee1:

Yes that's the ticket. If you don't like someone's political view simply accuse and denounce him/her and then declare them guilty and deprive them of their right to be presumed innocent.

Stalin/Lenin/Beria and Trotsky knew what they were doing!

Archived