THAI ‘jumbo’ flight TG 679 skids off Suvarnabhumi runway while landing

webfact

6 hours ago, Wiggy said:

No wonder they are losing so much money with only 97 passengers on a 747. Admittedly there could have been more on the outbound flight, but I doubt if it was the 400+ a 747 can hold, as it's too much of an imbalance. That said, it was a change of equipment from the usual 777.

Wonder how it is with planes from Europe?

28 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Wonder how it is with planes from Europe?

Usually, when I've flown from Europe to Bangkok the planes are quite full, but there are few people - certainly less than 100 - collecting luggage. Most are merely in transit and have no wish to spend time in the Land of Scowls.

6 hours ago, Wiggy said:

They bought 10 of them. The A340 was launched in 1993, but was followed in 1995 by the B777 which had similar range and payload but with only two engines, thus practically killing sales of the A340, of which only 378 were manufactured. Whereas more than 1,500 777s  have been delivered thus far.

Just saw the figures. There are bigger buyers than THAI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Airbus_A340_operators

http://www.modernairliners.com/airbus-a340-orders-and-deliveries/

Edited by ravip
Correction
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, newnative said:

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

I think that's what pilots say but I am not so sure these passengers would agree. 

I flew from BKK with Qantas a few years ago and did not realize we were on the ground at LHR until the brakes were applied - that is what I call a good landing. I felt it deserved an applause like in the old days but resisted. 

I still couldn't walk away though because of a broken leg courtesy of a Thai bus driver falling asleep.

Edited by chang1

7 hours ago, Wiggy said:

No wonder they are losing so much money with only 97 passengers on a 747. Admittedly there could have been more on the outbound flight, but I doubt if it was the 400+ a 747 can hold, as it's too much of an imbalance. That said, it was a change of equipment from the usual 777.

747-400 can accommodate 416 passengers in a typical three-class layout, 524 passengers in a typical two-class layout, or a maximum capacity of 660 passengers in a high–density one-class configuration 

The A340 is actually a great plane, designed for extra long haul.

I flew in it many times to Auckland, but under 14 hours not profitable

Thai used it on the New York  direct as did Singapore airlines, 

The only plane that could do the 17 hour flight at that time

At least 2 European airlines still fly them here.

EFTPOS made a 4 engine plane be able to fly straight whereas a 2 engine had restrictions making for flight deviations on route as 

having to be a certain distance from a suitable landing strip

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lanista said:

97 passengers on a 747-400 from a major Chinese city ! Good indication that the Chinese really are pissed with the Land of Wicked Smiles.

How many Chinese did the TAT say were coming here this year?  12 million or was it 20 million before the ferry massacre and Chinese 'punch in face' deal at Swampy airport.

Thats a hell of alot of near empty 747's.

Most airlines dont even use those 4 engine planes anymore.

What do you expect for a Monday evening flight after a week long holiday in China?  I'm surprised there was 97 passengers.  <deleted> people on this forum are awful quick to come to judgement...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Days Off said:

What do you expect for a Monday evening flight after a week long holiday in China?  I'm surprised there was 97 passengers.  <deleted> people on this forum are awful quick to come to judgement...

That's because the keyboard is so handy!  If we had to send a letter there would be no response at all.

8 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Well, 18 crew members is quite a lot for 97 passengers. Cancellations?

Don't forget that Thai Air takes in a lot of cargo. Maybe that's why they use these big planes on short hauls. Cargo is good biss. CNX-BKK is about 26 Baht/kg. 60 x 26=1560 Baht. So transporting people is costly.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lanista said:

97 passengers on a 747-400 from a major Chinese city ! Good indication that the Chinese really are pissed with the Land of Wicked Smiles.

How many Chinese did the TAT say were coming here this year?  12 million or was it 20 million before the ferry massacre and Chinese 'punch in face' deal at Swampy airport.

Thats a hell of alot of near empty 747's.

Most airlines dont even use those 4 engine planes anymore.

Didnt THAI get a good deal(scammed) in the 1990's with the French for Airbus A340's which had 4 engines? A disasterous plane that flopped with very few orders.

THAI bought many or most of them ..LOL

Well done THAI.

Stay classy.

Know what you talking about before you open your mouth. ThE Chinese Punch in the Face was NOT at Swampy it was Donmarang.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

747-400 can accommodate 416 passengers in a typical three-class layout, 524 passengers in a typical two-class layout, or a maximum capacity of 660 passengers in a high–density one-class configuration 

A 747 flew a record 1,087 passengers back in 1991 on some sort of rescue flight carrying Ethiopian Jews to Israel.  Hard to believe they could get that many in. 

• Like 2