THAI ‘jumbo’ flight TG 679 skids off Suvarnabhumi runway while landing

webfact

THAI ‘jumbo’ flight TG 679 skids off Suvarnabhumi runway while landing

By The Nation

c21fd8155e144f055fca9c2a75af42fa-sld.jpe

Photo credit : Twitter One's Way#YNWA @khongsak

A Thai Airways International plane inbound from Guangzhou skidded off a runway while landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport in heavy rain on Monday night.

Flight Lieutenant Pratthana Pattanasirim, THAI’s director of security and flight standard division, said no one was injured when THAI Flight TG 679 skidded off the runway.

The Boeing 747-400 held 97 passengers and 18 crew.

The Guangzhou-Bangkok flight left Guangzhou airport at 8.58pm (local time) and arrived at the Suvarnabhumi at 10.48pm.

The passengers were safely transferred from the plane to the passenger terminal to wait for their luggage. THAI provided them snacks and drinks while they waited for their luggage.

Pratthana said the airline would cooperate with other agencies to investigate the cause of the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356098

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-09

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No wonder they are losing so much money with only 97 passengers on a 747. Admittedly there could have been more on the outbound flight, but I doubt if it was the 400+ a 747 can hold, as it's too much of an imbalance. That said, it was a change of equipment from the usual 777.

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

The passengers were safely transferred from the plane to the passenger terminal to wait for their luggage. THAI provided them snacks and drinks while they waited for their luggage.

So no different than landing after a long haul and then waiting for busses to take passengers to the terminal. Same same 

97 passengers on a 747-400 from a major Chinese city ! Good indication that the Chinese really are pissed with the Land of Wicked Smiles.

How many Chinese did the TAT say were coming here this year?  12 million or was it 20 million before the ferry massacre and Chinese 'punch in face' deal at Swampy airport.

Thats a hell of alot of near empty 747's.

Most airlines dont even use those 4 engine planes anymore.

Didnt THAI get a good deal(scammed) in the 1990's with the French for Airbus A340's which had 4 engines? A disasterous plane that flopped with very few orders.

THAI bought many or most of them ..LOL

Well done THAI.

Stay classy.

17 minutes ago, lanista said:

Didnt THAI get a good deal(scammed) in the 1990's with the French for Airbus A340's which had 4 engines? A disasterous plane that flopped with very few orders.

They bought 10 of them. The A340 was launched in 1993, but was followed in 1995 by the B777 which had similar range and payload but with only two engines, thus practically killing sales of the A340, of which only 378 were manufactured. Whereas more than 1,500 777s  have been delivered thus far.

43 minutes ago, lanista said:

97 passengers on a 747-400 from a major Chinese city ! Good indication that the Chinese really are pissed with the Land of Wicked Smiles.

How many Chinese did the TAT say were coming here this year?  12 million or was it 20 million before the ferry massacre and Chinese 'punch in face' deal at Swampy airport.

Thats a hell of alot of near empty 747's.

Most airlines dont even use those 4 engine planes anymore.

Well done THAI.

Stay classy.

The commissions were good,which is all that really matters.

regards Worgeordie

No wonder they are losing so much money with only 97 passengers on a 747. Admittedly there could have been more on the outbound flight, but I doubt if it was the 400+ a 747 can hold, as it's too much of an imbalance. That said, it was a change of equipment from the usual 777.

Well most other Airlines are flying A320’s or B737’s o these short routes to Guangzhou or similar distances.

B 747’s where built for long haul flights and not little hops.

I remember a pilot friend of mine once explained to me when he saw that Thai was using B747’s between BKK and CNX - 55 minutes flying time - what enormous strain every take off and landing puts on these huge planes.

And it makes a huge difference on the lifespan / maintenance cost / insurance of these planes if they did 1000’s when used long haul or 10000’s of take off’s and landings when used short haul.

I remember the days when you got on a flight and you had 3 or 4 seats to yourself to stretch out - just does not happen anymore with all the code sharing - a 747 with 97 pax that sounds like the 80’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They should change this unlucky flight number.

Was puzzled when searching for TG 679 and find:

September 2013, TG 679 skid off runway after nose gear failed.

(A330-300, 288 passengers, 13 injured)

2 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Well most other Airlines are flying A320’s or B737’s o these short routes to Guangzhou or similar distances.

B 747’s where built for long haul flights and not little hops.

I remember a pilot friend of mine once explained to me when he saw that Thai was using B747’s between BKK and CNX - 55 minutes flying time - what enormous strain every take off and landing puts on these huge planes.

And it makes a huge difference on the lifespan / maintenance cost / insurance of these planes if they did 1000’s when used long haul or 10000’s of take off’s and landings when used short haul.

I remember the days when you got on a flight and you had 3 or 4 seats to yourself to stretch out - just does not happen anymore with all the code sharing - a 747 with 97 pax that sounds like the 80’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They carry 45,000 ltres of fuel and use 1/4 of it on takeoff,bit of a waste on short haul.

And there was me thinking that the issue of brake failure was only applicable to lorries and buses.        

????‍✈️

16 minutes ago, Tailwagsdog said:

Regardless of the comments i read here I still put Thai near the top of my list when travelling

Me too. My biggest gripe with them is that their domestic flights are normally always 20 - 30 minutes late taking off but I can't fault their service otherwise when compared to other domestic carriers. 

4 hours ago, lanista said:

No problem. Replace Guangzhou-Bangkok route with New Delhi-Bangkok. Eager tourists from India will ensure a full plane... oh, but wait...

What a waste of space, money and time plus added pollution in the air, just to carry a few handful of passengers ???? 

I take it the pilot was too hot coming in or too young to handle the beast  ?perhaps  he has simply jumped the red light as they often tend to do..... Let’s blame the brakes it’s a good alibi ????

6 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Back in 2008 i flew back to Heathrow on a Thai 747 with just 49 passengers aboard !

Archived