October 9, 20187 yr I have just realised that my Thai driving licence expired nearly 2 years ago. Am I likely to encounter problems when I go to try and renew it or is it just a simple procedure? Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks
October 9, 20187 yr You can renew upto a year out of date. but if you have a "home country" licence (in English with your photo and pictograms of vehicle entitlements) then it should be relevantly painless to "convert" it to a Thai licence you'll need a residence certificate and medical certificate, do some eyesight and reaction tests ( but no theory or practical test) and get a 2 year temporary Thai licence.
October 9, 20187 yr Author johng Thanks for your reply but to make it clear, this is a FULL THAI driving licence that has expired. I went through the procedure you just described about 10 years ago. If I have to do all that over again, it’s not really a problem, I just want to know the best way to go about it. So maybe what I’m really asking is, can I renew the long out of date Thai driving licence or do I need to start again from scratch?
October 9, 20187 yr 1 hour ago, mrjohn said: can I renew the long out of date Thai driving licence or do I need to start again from scratch? up to 1 year out of date you can renew, after that you start from scratch.
October 9, 20187 yr Expired more than one year and less than three years: repeat theory/written test. The 50 question multiple choice test, 45 must be correct. Expired more than three years: like new license incl. theory and driving test. Edited October 9, 20187 yr by KhunBENQ
October 9, 20187 yr Author 15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said: Expired more than one year and less than three years: repeat theory/written test. The 50 question multiple choice test, 45 must be correct. Expired more than three years: like new license incl. theory and driving test. Written test? I’ve never done a written test. The first time I was given a licence because I showed them my UK licence. When I had to renew it, I had to watch a load of videos and do a couple of eyesight tests.
October 9, 20187 yr 4 minutes ago, mrjohn said: The first time I was given a licence because I showed them my UK licence. Your post is completely correct, but that's not what I am referring to nor the question of the OP? The OP has an expired Thai license and for that the written rules apply. Whether he can try to get a new 2 year license based on his foreign license (if there is one) is a different topic and disputed as he is in the files having an expired Thai DL. Edited October 9, 20187 yr by KhunBENQ
October 9, 20187 yr 2 minutes ago, mrjohn said: I showed them my UK licence. Ok then show them your UK licence again ( that's not expired too is it ? ) and do the eyesight and reaction tests (maybe watch a video) and receive a new "temporary" 2 year licence.
October 9, 20187 yr What you will be required to do will totally depend on the office that you use and the people there that interpret the rules and if you go back and talk to a different person the second time, all bets are off as their interpretation might br different. I tried to get a yellow book about 12 years ago and every time that I got what they said that I needed when I went back the requirements had changed to the point that I was being accused of submitting forged US Embassy documents in the end. I never did get the book and have not had a requirement for it since!
October 9, 20187 yr 16 minutes ago, johng said: Ok then show them your UK licence again ( that's not expired too is it ? ) and do the eyesight and reaction tests (maybe watch a video) and receive a new "temporary" 2 year licence. Worth a try for the OP. But please report back if it works.
October 9, 20187 yr Yes interpret the rules as mentioned above by wayned. At Immigration when getting my I Year marry Thing, just the same yawn as the last 25 years, they advised me i needed a bit of paper from them to renew my 5 Year Licence. Never say anything unless asked, all i said to Licence Place was Imo gave me this. Boss Lady turned Purple , phoned Imo and told them to mind their own Business basically, acording to my Wife. Bit Embarrassing for me, all the Thais could hear. Dont assume all Thais dont get angry and shout.
Create an account or sign in to comment