5 weeks stay on tourist visa?

Hi

I would like to stay in Thailand for about 5 weeks. I have read that I can extend the normal 30-days tourist visa.

Can I do that before I buy the tickets or must I wait until I am in Thailand? It feels not good to buy the ticket for the return trip and then maybe the extension is denied. How can I handle this? If to complicated i will just stay 30 days.

Thanks in advance.

Captor

I always buy a one way tix here, get my 30 day stamp and extend it as a citizen of G7 country..the extension cost 1900 bt which gave me another 30 days, next week i go to laos,  to apply for a double entry, which I have always done and gotten, and can extend those 2 as well, giving me a total of 8 months on one visa run.

Arrive Bkk by air  30 day stamp--extend for 30 for 1900=2 months, go to laos for 2x60 day visas which can both be extended for 1900 each....30+30+60+30+60+30=8months and then can even do burma mae sai for a last 30, which I guess could be extended, but usually after 6 months Im burnt out and just go home to work

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

I always buy a one way tix here, get my 30 day stamp and extend it as a citizen of G7 country..the extension cost 1900 bt which gave me another 30 days, next week i go to laos,  to apply for a double entry, which I have always done and gotten, and can extend those 2 as well, giving me a total of 8 months on one visa run.

Arrive Bkk by air  30 day stamp--extend for 30 for 1900=2 months, go to laos for 2x60 day visas which can both be extended for 1900 each....30+30+60+30+60+30=8months and then can even do burma mae sai for a last 30, which I guess could be extended, but usually after 6 months Im burnt out and just go home to work

Can you get double entry tourist visa in Laos ?

• Like 1

If you enter without a visa under the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme ("30 day tourist visa") you will be given a 30 day stay when you enter the country. You can extend that for 30 days at immigration. It is highly unlikely they will deny an extension.

Note that if you travel without a visa the airline might insist you have an onward flight out of Thailand dated within 30 days of arrival

You are best advised to get a Tourist Visa from your home country before you travel. That will give you 60 days when you enter the country and you won't need to apply for an extension of provide the airline with an onward flight.

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you enter without a visa under the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme ("30 day tourist visa") you will be given a 30 day stay when you enter the country. You can extend that for 30 days at immigration. It is highly unlikely they will deny an extension.

Note that if you travel without a visa the airline might insist you have an onward flight out of Thailand dated within 30 days of arrival

You are best advised to get a Tourist Visa from your home country before you travel. That will give you 60 days when you enter the country and you won't need to apply for an extension of provide the airline with an onward flight.

Thank you very much. That is useful information. I will contact the thai embassy and ask about this.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:10 PM, The traveler said:

I have always done so when I go to laos, is why I avoid KL as I hear they are stricter on this...

On my 2nd PP full of mai sai(burma) laos and thai visas....nothing but---been doing it for a decade

8 hours ago, Captor said:

Thank you very much. That is useful information. I will contact the thai embassy and ask about this.

I have signed waivers at the airport once but otherwise I tell them I will leave LOS after the 30...

ALWAYS have come here WITHOUT a visa--been doing it since 2008..NEVER bought a RT tix.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:
On 10/9/2018 at 5:10 PM, The traveler said:

I have always done so when I go to laos, is why I avoid KL as I hear they are stricter on this...

On my 2nd PP full of mai sai(burma) laos and thai visas....nothing but---been doing it for a decade

Double entry tourist visas are no longer available in Laos, and haven't been for a couple of years.

8 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Not for almost 3 years now you have not gotten a 2 entry tourist visa. Since the multiple entry tourist visa became available in November of 2015 they no longer exist. Only single and multiple entry visas are possible.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not for almost 3 years now you have not gotten a 2 entry tourist visa. Since the multiple entry tourist visa became available in November of 2015 they no longer exist. Only single and multiple entry visas are possible.

Hmmm.that could very well be, maybe got one on the tail end as is how its always been on a laos run.

So what is the cost of a ME visa and how many entries are included, as I will be doing this next week..

10 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Hmmm.that could very well be, maybe got one on the tail end as is how its always been on a laos run.

So what is the cost of a ME visa and how many entries are included, as I will be doing this next week..

You can’t get a METV from Laos unless your Laotian or resident in Laos.

9 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

You can only apply for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) in your home country or country of legal residence. But there have reports of the embassies and consulates in the US, Canada and Australia issuing them to non residents.

The fee is 5000 baht and it allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only apply for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) in your home country or country of legal residence. But there have reports of the embassies and consulates in the US, Canada and Australia issuing them to non residents.

The fee is 5000 baht and it allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue.

OK, thank you very much.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

ugh....seems I may be getting a single entry in Laos next week..........getting tired of this visa charade...tnx