What type of rings to buy for thai girlfriend when propose for wedding.

Captor

Hi,

I mean, what is the standard gold to buy? With or without stone? In my country it is more and more common that the bride gets a gold ring with some stone or stones (diamonds for example). Is the trend the same in Thailand or is the normal with a plain gold ring? Should it be red gold, pink or normal (yellow) gold?

If propose for marriage is it common to give the ring in that moment or later?

Should I buy the rings in Thailand or in europe? Quality wise I mean?

I ask this because I don´t want to give a ring that is not appropriate considering the loosing face issue in Thailand. I understand it is important to give the correct ring/gift. Because she will wear it all life (hopefully :-)).

So all tips in this matter and how I should act with the marriage proposal is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Captor

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just let your GF decide (unless you want to surprise her with an engagement ring).

That said, traditionally, Thailand does not have Engagement rings, its just a wedding ring. But, modern culture dollop of westernization has ensured that it is not uncommon to have both a Diamond Engagement Ring and a Wedding Band... 

Ultimately, its up to you both and its something personal between you both. 

Forget about the losing face thing... if that's an issue and your beau is going to lose face if you haven't chosen the correct ring it means she cares more about what others think than you, in which case your choice in potential spouse may be in question. 

Thanks for your answer.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a surprise so she don´t know anything.

And about the loosing face issue maybe that is not the correct way to put it from my side. I just want it to be correct and for example not buy a white gold ring if the thais are not into white gold as we are in europe this days.

If I once have bought the ring it is to late to go back if you understand what I mean. Hence my question here for having the biggest chance to get it right in all details from the start. About the wedding ceremony I don´t care for now. That is step 2 and I am sure I will be told about how that works:-).

This is just the first step I have to do about the rings and shape and material and so on. Also I have seen they use to have (in my eyes) big and ugly rings. Some of them at least. Big is beautiful they are thinking because it is worth more money. That is not my cup of tee. I small hand shall not have a big, clumsy, ring. That look not good. Then better putting some diamond in it for having higher value. If that is correct to do? One ore more diamonds in the wedding ring. Is that common? Or is it more normal with a plain yellow gold ring?

There will be no engagement ring. I will go directly to the main thing ????

Next time in Thailand I will go into some shops and look there about style and so on. I just want to inform myself some before that.

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

A thai gold ring half baht! Good luck!

a seafood restaurant is a good place to propose!

Yes, maybe that ???? I have not figured out yet where (and how) the proposal will take place. Thanks for the tip! All tips are appreciated.

8 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

When I proposed to my wife in 2015, I hadn’t gotten a ring yet. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing. I told her, so I guess you’re going to want a ring with a big diamond, eh? She said she didn’t need a ring at all but if I wanted to get her one, a simple gold band was enough. After doing some research, I found out that thai gold is almost pure and somewhat soft. I decided to wait until she got to the US and we got married to get a ring. When she got here I took her to the jewelry store and she picked out a small 18k (no Thai gold there) yellow gold band with some tiny diamonds on it. It was only $500 USD. She cherishes that ring and wears it every day. I asked her why she never wanted a big diamond and she said Thais don’t care about diamonds, just gold. I asked her why and she said because diamonds lose their value. With gold, you can use it to eat if you need to. I had never even thought of that.

Hehe, very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Yes I have got the impression that the gold in Thailand is very pure and very soft. And maybe not suited for having a stone in it. But in the other hand the pure gold is more worth in value over time. But also I guess over long time there will be many scratches and so on more easy and maybe not look so nice anymore. Because of that I am more into buying a 18k ring in europe too. Maybe with stones.

Your wife picked a ring with stones and that means that stones in the ring can be correct even with a thai lady.

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

So she was already thinking of the resale value.... charming. 

I think you misunderstand. If so, why did she not picked a big gold ring right away?

No, I think the opposite. She did not care the value but she cared how it was looking on her finger. She was choosing the look not the value. And THAT is charming!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fordguy61mi said:

When I proposed to my wife in 2015, I hadn’t gotten a ring yet. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing. I told her, so I guess you’re going to want a ring with a big diamond, eh? She said she didn’t need a ring at all but if I wanted to get her one, a simple gold band was enough. After doing some research, I found out that thai gold is almost pure and somewhat soft. I decided to wait until she got to the US and we got married to get a ring. When she got here I took her to the jewelry store and she picked out a small 18k (no Thai gold there) yellow gold band with some tiny diamonds on it. It was only $500 USD. She cherishes that ring and wears it every day. I asked her why she never wanted a big diamond and she said Thais don’t care about diamonds, just gold. I asked her why and she said because diamonds lose their value. With gold, you can use it to eat if you need to. I had never even thought of that.

But, she also know, only thai gold have value, no other western gold gives them security. We pay alot for design value, they pay the purest gold they can use and show off! 

Tough life, but that is how it is. The good ones tells you what you want to hear, and make up for it later.

Generaly spoken, and no intention on being a smartass or rude. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

But, she also know, only thai gold have value, no other western gold gives them security. We pay alot for design value, they pay the purest gold they can use and show off! 

Tough life, but that is how it is. The good ones tells you what you want to hear, and make up for it later.

Generaly spoken, and no intention on being a smartass or rude. 

Yes, there is always this show off thing....

Maybe better buy in Thailand then...?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, Captor said:

Hehe, very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Yes I have got the impression that the gold in Thailand is very pure and very soft. And maybe not suited for having a stone in it. But in the other hand the pure gold is more worth in value over time. But also I guess over long time there will be many scratches and so on more easy and maybe not look so nice anymore. Because of that I am more into buying a 18k ring in europe too. Maybe with stones.

Your wife picked a ring with stones and that means that stones in the ring can be correct even with a thai lady.

It is all personal first place. You say now 18 k ring but is still soft, Europe mostly has 14 k rings which are more stronger, Depends also if your lady is working with her hands a lot, which causes to wear the ring a lot more.

Talking about value, you should not take that in consideration, after all you get scrap price when turning in, or it must be a very very special ring.

You never came to the point of talking about jewelry with your woman , so you know what she likes? 

However a woman changes all the time. I had my gf here and she wanted a white gold, instead she had a 14 k gold ring with little diamonds. Amazing, but that is with a woman. 

Of course you could get into a store, let here pick one and if you have it, instantly on your knee, propose her to marry. 

Otherwise you take your best shot with the your chosen ring and make a deal with jewelry shop to change if she really doesnt like it. However she will probably not tell, as she doesnt want to hurt you, if right. 

And again otherwise inform with her what she likes in a casual talk over jewelry and then buy.

Ergo do you know the size of her fingers, of the ring? Left form right hand might differ and some rings cant be made smaller or even bigger, there is a limit to it. You cant have oversized or too small, it has to be adjusted to the size of the finger. Inquire about that and probably has to be done later when you have given the ring to her. But you should be close to size finger.

45 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is all personal first place. You say now 18 k ring but is still soft, Europe mostly has 14 k rings which are more stronger, Depends also if your lady is working with her hands a lot, which causes to wear the ring a lot more.

Talking about value, you should not take that in consideration, after all you get scrap price when turning in, or it must be a very very special ring.

You never came to the point of talking about jewelry with your woman , so you know what she likes? 

However a woman changes all the time. I had my gf here and she wanted a white gold, instead she had a 14 k gold ring with little diamonds. Amazing, but that is with a woman. 

Of course you could get into a store, let here pick one and if you have it, instantly on your knee, propose her to marry. 

Otherwise you take your best shot with the your chosen ring and make a deal with jewelry shop to change if she really doesnt like it. However she will probably not tell, as she doesnt want to hurt you, if right. 

And again otherwise inform with her what she likes in a casual talk over jewelry and then buy.

Ergo do you know the size of her fingers, of the ring? Left form right hand might differ and some rings cant be made smaller or even bigger, there is a limit to it. You cant have oversized or too small, it has to be adjusted to the size of the finger. Inquire about that and probably has to be done later when you have given the ring to her. But you should be close to size finger.

Hi, I have already taken the size of another ring. But I was not aware that left can differ from right. Damn! I am back on square 1. And also I don´t remember on what hand she use to have that ring I measured. As you can read I am the real marriage material.. NOT.

However, I will look into pictures if the ring I have measured shows up.

She works as hair dresser so yes I would say that she works a lot with her hands. Good point! Meaning maybe the 14k is the best. Never talked about jewelry other than just gold which she said she can sell if having bad times. And get back same money as when buying which I think is a little bit optimistic.

Of course white gold is the hardest I believe but that I don´t like and I think she not too because she has nothing on white gold.

However, the ring I measured is with a pearl and that she seems to like. Looks good on her too.

But a marriage ring should maybe be with diamonds? If stone at all I mean. I was not sure rings with stones are used and to be popular at all in Thailand. But it look like here on TV that I can buy that without looking like an idiot :-).

A problem also is if not correct size, then I must change the hole ring (if having stones) and that can not be done easy if I buy that in europe and she only comes here 1 time/year. So maybe I have to wait until she comes here next time of course.

Buy Thai gold ring to your liking preferably near where she lives get

a receipt and very easy to exchange if she doesn’t like it. Then you can build relationship with the gold shop for future buys....

my wife an I have gold bands plain and simple. One day when she

was in a less happy mood and knocking back beers asked to see my ring.....

ok here you go a little while later I asked where’s my ring,,,,,, 

she threw mine and hears in the toilet. Didn’t fetch them 

• Haha 1