What type of rings to buy for thai girlfriend when propose for wedding.

Captor

42 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Buy Thai gold ring to your liking preferably near where she lives get

a receipt and very easy to exchange if she doesn’t like it. Then you can build relationship with the gold shop for future buys....

my wife an I have gold bands plain and simple. One day when she

was in a less happy mood and knocking back beers asked to see my ring.....

ok here you go a little while later I asked where’s my ring,,,,,, 

she threw mine and hears in the toilet. Didn’t fetch them 

Hahaha, my good! Life sucks sometimes, huh?

But funny...:-) Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Captor

On 10/10/2018 at 5:07 PM, fordguy61mi said:

When I proposed to my wife in 2015, I hadn’t gotten a ring yet. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing. I told her, so I guess you’re going to want a ring with a big diamond, eh? She said she didn’t need a ring at all but if I wanted to get her one, a simple gold band was enough. After doing some research, I found out that thai gold is almost pure and somewhat soft. I decided to wait until she got to the US and we got married to get a ring. When she got here I took her to the jewelry store and she picked out a small 18k (no Thai gold there) yellow gold band with some tiny diamonds on it. It was only $500 USD. She cherishes that ring and wears it every day. I asked her why she never wanted a big diamond and she said Thais don’t care about diamonds, just gold. I asked her why and she said because diamonds lose their value. With gold, you can use it to eat if you need to. I had never even thought of that.

The Thais are smarter than most think. Diamonds are an artificial and manipulated market. Much better value in gold .

I've never heard of any nation going away from the diamond standard, although many have abandoned gold for paper.

• Thanks 1

I got my wife a white gold diamond ring with matching diamond ear rings. Within my price range. I control the spending not her. She tried to tell me what she should get , but failed . Told her it was a western tradition and important to me that she have something better than just a plain gold ring all her other friends had. She got a 2 baht gold necklace as a present when we got married. 

First off, you seem to much in lust,  I mean love to get married. 

Let calmer hesds prevail.  

They like Thai gold.  Cost of manufacture is very low in Thailand for simple jewelry.  So a simple band will cost close to scrap value.  Much different than in the west.  

Don't worry about gold hardness.  That is much to long term and practical of thinking.  I suggest against taking her to the store to pick because the sales ladies know how to make the man feel bad. They keep going up in price until they see your pain.  

If she doesn't have much gold then you can reserve her with a 1 baht necklace.   Worry about the ring later.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Start with plastic. If she complains, dump her and start the next one with copper. Rinse and repeat till you find true love. 

Good luck. No charge for the advice.

???? Thanks?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Thais are smarter than most think. Diamonds are an artificial and manipulated market. Much better value in gold .

I've never heard of any nation going away from the diamond standard, although many have abandoned gold for paper.

Hehe, thanks.

14 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

I got my wife a white gold diamond ring with matching diamond ear rings. Within my price range. I control the spending not her. She tried to tell me what she should get , but failed . Told her it was a western tradition and important to me that she have something better than just a plain gold ring all her other friends had. She got a 2 baht gold necklace as a present when we got married. 

Haha, very nice. Thanks

12 minutes ago, Elkski said:

First off, you seem to much in lust,  I mean love to get married. 

Let calmer hesds prevail.  

They like Thai gold.  Cost of manufacture is very low in Thailand for simple jewelry.  So a simple band will cost close to scrap value.  Much different than in the west.  

Don't worry about gold hardness.  That is much to long term and practical of thinking.  I suggest against taking her to the store to pick because the sales ladies know how to make the man feel bad. They keep going up in price until they see your pain.  

If she doesn't have much gold then you can reserve her with a 1 baht necklace.   Worry about the ring later.

Hahaha, yes that is another way to do. Thanks ????

My bride to be ( next month) is totally in agreement about diamonds, not being worth what you pay for them (Not neccesarily what you can get back for them) but Thai gold is Thai gold, 1000 baht + the weight and you can upgrade. We are on engagement ring #3, 1 1/2 baht. The necklace is the important thing here  (to catch them and keep them)

22 minutes ago, Alanmel said:

My bride to be ( next month) is totally in agreement about diamonds, not being worth what you pay for them (Not neccesarily what you can get back for them) but Thai gold is Thai gold, 1000 baht + the weight and you can upgrade. We are on engagement ring #3, 1 1/2 baht. The necklace is the important thing here  (to catch them and keep them)

oh boy.....

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

gold. just gold but i went shopping with my wife and let her pick out what she wanted. 

best advice yet.
gives you a good idea about greed level as well,
before it is too late 555

• Like 1

I have lived in Thailand for 7 years and been together with my Thai Lady for over 6 years. "She's the One" as we all say. So on her Birthday, I took her to a Local restaurant in The Jungle ( Buriram ) for a Birthday Dinner and surprise. I spoke to the very hospitable Manager/Owner and asked if he could arrange a Special Surprise for my lovely lady. We had a fabulous dinner followed by a Special Cheesecake that he baked for us. ( Just like my Mama baked over 50 years ago) Then the Special Surprise arrived. A special drink which had ice cubes in it. One of the ice cubes had a Special surprise therein. ( The Manager had been to the Tesco store over the road and purchased a 400 Bht, what looked like a gold ring and diamonds thereon) When my Lady saw the ring in the ice cube she asked "How did you know my Size" haha. I replied, "Will you please marry me?" She did not care whether it was, gold, diamonds or plastic just wanted to make sure the size was correct. haha. Fabulous evening and the Real Diamond Ring has been made for her in Bangkok together with our Gold Wedding rings which will have 3 diamonds thereon. In my view, if you know your lady well enough you should know what she would like. We are all different and the important thing is to please the one you love. It has worked for us so far. Good luck choosing your Ring(s)

• Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 10:42 PM, Captor said:

I ask this because I don´t want to give a ring that is not appropriate considering the loosing face issue in Thailand. I understand it is important to give the correct ring/gift. Because she will wear it all life (hopefully :-)).

I think giving a wrong type of ring would matter in any country.

Why do people think that the "loseing face" thing only applies in Thailand?

I would personally buy the gold here. A 9kt. ring wouldn't go down too well...and you know what they say about diamonds and gals (no matter what country they're from).

Wish you a long and happy marriage.

Edited by dotpoom

1 hour ago, The Names Bond said:

I have lived in Thailand for 7 years and been together with my Thai Lady for over 6 years. "She's the One" as we all say. So on her Birthday, I took her to a Local restaurant in The Jungle ( Buriram ) for a Birthday Dinner and surprise. I spoke to the very hospitable Manager/Owner and asked if he could arrange a Special Surprise for my lovely lady. We had a fabulous dinner followed by a Special Cheesecake that he baked for us. ( Just like my Mama baked over 50 years ago) Then the Special Surprise arrived. A special drink which had ice cubes in it. One of the ice cubes had a Special surprise therein. ( The Manager had been to the Tesco store over the road and purchased a 400 Bht, what looked like a gold ring and diamonds thereon) When my Lady saw the ring in the ice cube she asked "How did you know my Size" haha. I replied, "Will you please marry me?" She did not care whether it was, gold, diamonds or plastic just wanted to make sure the size was correct. haha. Fabulous evening and the Real Diamond Ring has been made for her in Bangkok together with our Gold Wedding rings which will have 3 diamonds thereon. In my view, if you know your lady well enough you should know what she would like. We are all different and the important thing is to please the one you love. It has worked for us so far. Good luck choosing your Ring(s)

That´s a  very nice idea to propose tat way. Thank you very much for sharing.

7 minutes ago, soistalker said:

She'll be wearing it on another finger on her other hand in less than a year telling varuous punters, "This ring mama me."

Would that be because your only exposure to Thai women is with the sort of women who 'talks with punters' ?... you've only been exposed to hookers in Thailand so can only understand a situation if you judge it within your own boundaries of experience.... thus all Thai girls are hookers? and any girl dating a foreigner must also be a hooker???

Doesn't your comment simply imply that you lack any of even the most basic of human skills to have any interaction with a female unless she is paid for?

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would that be because your only exposure to Thai women is with the sort of women who 'talks with punters' ?... you've only been exposed to hookers in Thailand so can only understand a situation if you judge it within your own boundaries of experience.... thus all Thai girls are hookers? and any girl dating a foreigner must also be a hooker???

Doesn't your comment simply imply that you lack any of even the most basic of human skills to have any interaction with a female unless she is paid for?

Feel better now?

• Like 1

I like to match jewelry with the person - light skin, I like yellow gold and good old red white and blue  blue sapphire, ruby, diamond,  three small stones across the top.  Simple 'promise ring'  dark skin white gold, same with two small pearls on outside with blue sapphire in middle.  They should be small and in good taste.  The real test - is the wedding ring, thats the one she will show the rest of your marriage...........I recommend diamonds, big ones.    :wai:

Edited by TunnelRat69

13 years ago a bought this for my wife (married 10yrs).

8 diamonds and one Ruby, all her friends just asked how many baht gold it was. 

My wife still wears it because she don't care how much she can pawn it for. 

Her friends only looked at pawn value. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2018 at 2:42 AM, Captor said:

I ask this because I don´t want to give a ring that is not appropriate considering the loosing face issue in Thailand.

1st thing you have to do is be a man, what ?

The loss of face issue is only a issue if you are stupid enough to believe it and or follow it, the same applies for her.

So you want to marry this girl, well, keep it simple, a gold ring of no more value than about 5,000 baht, by it here, end of story, but I wouldn't spend the 5,000 baht before she says yes, and for God's sake don't get on your bloody knee when proposing, do it casually over having a cheap meal, hey....honey, wanna get married, simple, and she will reply, if you follow the movies you will burn, guys think women want to be the romanced, they probably do, but remember romance is in books and the movies and when people follow that crap they become unstuck, as women get bored easily with that crap, they want a bloke with a back bone, you can be romantic in a number of ways, but forget the books and movies, especially with Thai chicks, they will see it as your weakness and take advantage of it.

I proposed to mine while she was ironing my shirt, I said hey honey what are you doing Friday night, she said nothing, why, I said because we are getting married, she said, oh, ok, nice one.

Nothing fancy, a simple white dress that she could wear again to an outing like a christinaning or someone else's wedding which she did, so we got value out of it, then straight back into her jeans. A good crowd of about 12 close friends at a restaurant and a good night followed to celebrate.

The problem with blokes is that they treat women with kit gloves and when the snake turns, the strike is lethal, if you cannot follow what I am saying, i.e. put yourself 1st before you put any woman before you, otherwise you won't survive in a relationship.

Mutual respect, don't spoil them, and remember when you buy them something expensive, you just raised you own bar, because the next time the only way is up, like I said, keep it simple and if you cannot control her, i.e. she wants, she needs, move onto the next one.

13 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

She tried to tell me what she should get , but failed .

13 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

She got a 2 baht gold necklace as a present when we got married. 

Badda bing, badda bang, badda BOOOOM

Edited by 4MyEgo

13 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I like to match jewelry with the person - light skin, I like yellow gold and good old red white and blue  blue sapphire, ruby, diamond,  three small stones across the top.  Simple 'promise ring'  dark skin white gold, same with two small pearls on outside with blue sapphire in middle.  They should be small and in good taste.  The real test - is the wedding ring, thats the one she will show the rest of your marriage...........I recommend diamonds, big ones.    :wai:

Thanks!

13 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

13 years ago a bought this for my wife (married 10yrs).

8 diamonds and one Ruby, all her friends just asked how many baht gold it was. 

My wife still wears it because she don't care how much she can pawn it for. 

Her friends only looked at pawn value. 

Yeah, that is a little bit sad. Thanks man.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

1st thing you have to do is be a man, what ?

The loss of face issue is only a issue if you are stupid enough to believe it and or follow it, the same applies for her.

So you want to marry this girl, well, keep it simple, a gold ring of no more value than about 5,000 baht, by it here, end of story, but I wouldn't spend the 5,000 baht before she says yes, and for God's sake don't get on your bloody knee when proposing, do it casually over having a cheap meal, hey....honey, wanna get married, simple, and she will reply, if you follow the movies you will burn, guys think women want to be the romanced, they probably do, but remember romance is in books and the movies and when people follow that crap they become unstuck, as women get bored easily with that crap, they want a bloke with a back bone, you can be romantic in a number of ways, but forget the books and movies, especially with Thai chicks, they will see it as your weakness and take advantage of it.

I proposed to mine while she was ironing my shirt, I said hey honey what are you doing Friday night, she said nothing, why, I said because we are getting married, she said, oh, ok, nice one.

Nothing fancy, a simple white dress that she could wear again to an outing like a christinaning or someone else's wedding which she did, so we got value out of it, then straight back into her jeans. A good crowd of about 12 close friends at a restaurant and a good night followed to celebrate.

The problem with blokes is that they treat women with kit gloves and when the snake turns, the strike is lethal, if you cannot follow what I am saying, i.e. put yourself 1st before you put any woman before you, otherwise you won't survive in a relationship.

Mutual respect, don't spoil them, and remember when you buy them something expensive, you just raised you own bar, because the next time the only way is up, like I said, keep it simple and if you cannot control her, i.e. she wants, she needs, move onto the next one.

That is another strategi. Maybe it depends on how the lady is. They are not all the same. Thanks.

Edited by Captor