Hired As An "instructor"

richard10365

A friend of mine heard somewhere that a farang got a work permit to work in a school as an English instructor. I don't know if this is true or not. Has anyone heard of this before? As an English instructor, he doesn't qualify for a teaching license.

What would an English instructor be allowed to do as opposed to an English teacher?

in·struc·tor (n-strktr)

n.

1. One who instructs; a teacher.

2. A college or university teacher who ranks below an assistant professor.

2. Might be a goer, but I suspect that if he can't get a teacher's licence he's not going to get a job at that level.

I've always used 'instructor' to mean someone who 'teaches' groups of people outside a school or university environment, for example apprentices or trainees learning a new IT system.

I've been an instructor on occasion, but always as part of a wider brief, it's certainly never been on my WP (and it's not been 'instructing' English).

I've always used 'instructor' to mean someone who 'teaches' groups of people outside a school or university environment, for example apprentices or trainees learning a new IT system.

Yes, it seems something more 'practical' to me, sports also, but I've found it's used more widely in academic contexts in Thailand.

Sounds like a third-hand barroom rumour. Like teacher and ajarn, instructor means different things to different people, so it's ambiguous. Likewise, some teachers tried to get work permits as 'consultants.' There are no rules here, just relationships. If you're married to the governor's daughter, you're okay, jack.

I know teachers whose schools have got around the teacher licence thing by being presented to the MoL as language consultants (translation of the Thai description) which I believe bypasses the MoE completely. The school and teacher pay a little more tax I believe but otherwise everything is hunkydory.

It sounds like this might be an open loop hole that can be used for a few years to continue teaching in Thailand without a Bachelors degree.

I think this option has been around a while but it costs the school a little more to process and the y need to pay more tax so they have avoided if they could.

It's Thailand, relax as there's always a solution.

I've never had or even seen a 'Teacher's Licence', but I've always had a work permit. Also, I was told 4years ago or so, that certain schools, colleges, Uni's don't get them! Maybe it's because of what they employ you as. As for tax, I certainly don't pay more than other teachers who earn the same amount, and have similar circumstances.

Who knows?

Edited by omlagus

It sounds like this might be an open loop hole that can be used for a few years to continue teaching in Thailand without a Bachelors degree.

I think this option has been around a while but it costs the school a little more to process and the y need to pay more tax so they have avoided if they could.

It's Thailand, relax as there's always a solution.

Maybe the schools don't know about it. Now they have a choice to pay the extra money for an English instructor who could possibly instruct (teach) English or to do without.

Since so many schools are hiring teachers without a degree, I think they would hire English instructors instead of not having one at all.