Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +66 (0) 2 6766667-8
Fax: +66 (0) 2 6766188
http://www.chavalitlaw.com

escription: cid:[email protected]
Celebrating over 10 years of service

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I visited a handful of lawyers in Chiang Mai, and thought I'd chosen a good one, but midway through my family case I, with the help of a more knowledgeable and experienced farang, understood my lawyer was really just "ok". Better than many other I suspect, and honest too, but just "ok". I give him a half-hearted recommendation as he was the best I found in Chiang Mai and he speaks English well enough too. His website is here: "http://www.chiangmai-legalbusiness.com/team.php" I visited or talked to most other lawyers I found recommended here, but mistakenly or not, did not feel confident in them.

Midway through my case I changed lawyer to one in Korat, and paid for him and his expensive interpreter (I can't speak Thai unfortunately) to fly up to Chiang Mai as many times as it required. The case was very very important to me, far too important to worry about air fare, hotel, and his very expensive (but good) interpreter. I did worry a lot about taking the risk of changing from a lawyer I now knew as "ok", to a lawyer I had only "interviewed" two times, but fortunately he ended up being even better than hoped. No website for him unfortunately, only a phone number, and you'll need to speak Thai if you want to call him (though you can call his independent interpreter too).

I have visited a few in Chiang Mai but sadly none of them can speak good English. They usually need a translator.

There's a bilingual lawyer from Korat who is willing to travel to Chiang Mai at higher fees if you don't mind paying.

PM me if you are interested.

Edited by EricTh

Lanna Lawyers, based in Chiang Mai/Mae Rim.  Bruce Lasky is one of the partners in this firm.  So, English would not be a problem.  There are Thai lawyers in the firm, so Thai law is definitely covered.  Lanna Lawyers have a booth at the Chiang Mai Expats Club meetings, if you wanted to check them out.

14 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Anyone have any experience with a firm called ICO? 

ICO has 8 or 9 lawyers working for them, and my experience was with one, so others' experience may be different.

You will need to negotiate price. They dropped my price after I quoted what another firm was asking. However, this was still far less than what Siam was asking. And the person at Siam did not even provide me complete information on what was needed.

The people at ICO were on time and professional.

But...my work mostly involved contracts, and they were very sloppy. They used old contracts, and often left the old names and addresses in. In my mind, this alone is enough to avoid a company, unless there are other reasons to hire them. (Such as cost or relationship.)

The English translation was often incomprehensible. I did my best at correcting, but gave up after a point.

The person I dealt with was knowledgeable, and spoke decent English, and seemed sincere about his work. He also gave me a lengthy initial meeting at no cost to explain what was needed. Some firms will want as much as 3000 baht an hour.

The best way may be to talk to 3 or 4 firms, and decide based on your feel for them. Other than cost, you also want to have good rapport with a lawyer.