Travelling With Dual Nationality

Question: Is it possible to leave the kingdom on one passport, then re-enter on another?

I'm here on a tourist visa on one passport (UK). I have a non-B, just issued, in the other (IRE). I had thought I could just go to Cambodia, leave on the tourist visa in the UK pasport, then enter and leave Cambodia on the other Irish passport with the non-B and enter Thailand with that one. Is this possible does anyone know? Or is there a better way to do this?

pietrasn,

When you next bring your child to thailand, exit the EU country on his Polish passport & enter thailand on his thai passport. When you leave thialand, exit on his thai passport & when you arrive int he EU enter with his Polish passport. It is that simple. Why do you think he needs a stamp in a brand new thai passport? The thai immigration will not care if he has entered thailand on htis passport beofre. This is how all our half thai kids who are born outside of thailand use their thai passports for the first time.

Maybe so Boo but my son was recently refused entry to Thailand using his Thai passport for the first time (He was born in the UK and obtained his Thai passport at the Thai embassy) so he had to enter Thailand on his UK passport. I started a topic about this and was assured that it was just an over enthusiastic immigration officer. He was refused entry on the grounds that his Thai passport had no UK stamp in it.

Brigante7.

As discussed when you posted on this before, the immigration officer concerned was wrong.

My wife and daughter have both renewed their Thai passports at the RTE in London and then entered Thailand using their new passports with no exit or entry stamps in them; no problems.

As discussed when you posted on this before, the immigration officer concerned was wrong.

My wife and daughter have both renewed their Thai passports at the RTE in London and then entered Thailand using their new passports with no exit or entry stamps in them; no problems.

very true. My sister who is in her 30s entered Thailand last Christmas on the first Thai PP she had used since she was about 8 years old. Issued by the RTE in London as well with no stamps in it at all. Sailed right though immigration, and got her Thai ID card the next week!

Maybe so Boo but my son was recently refused entry to Thailand using his Thai passport for the first time (He was born in the UK and obtained his Thai passport at the Thai embassy) so he had to enter Thailand on his UK passport. I started a topic about this and was assured that it was just an over enthusiastic immigration officer. He was refused entry on the grounds that his Thai passport had no UK stamp in it.

Brigante7.

The officer is wrong.

However, I sometimes have to show both my PP at the point of [Thai custom] entry and departure :) . So far, I only need to show the British passport at the point of [british custom] entry and departure.

A passport is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies, for the purpose of international travel, the identity and nationality of its holder.

A passport does not of itself entitle the passport holder entry into another country, nor to consular protection while abroad or any other privileges, in the absence of any special agreements which cover the situation. It does, however, normally entitle the passport holder to return to the country that issued the passport. Rights to consular protection arise from international agreements, and the right to return arises from the laws of the issuing country. A passport does not represent the right or the place of residence of the passport holder in the country that issued the passport.

Here is something that might be of interest, the custom officer [at Canadian border] can refuse a person holding a Canadian passport the entry to Canada. A person can entry Canada with the Canadian citizenship card, without holding a Canadian passport.

And yes, the Canadian citizenship card is a better/more valid proof of citizenship than the passport.

Edited by OhDear

I apreciate that , all I was saying was that sometimes people will encounter problems, it's not always that simple for everybody.

Brigante7.

• 2 weeks later...
I think ventura was looking for definitive proof, an actual clear cut, unmistakeable set of guidelines, in addition to the practice we all follow, however I don't think you will find them...

An English translation of the Thai Nationality Act, with all the amendments, is here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a84046-...ntil-2551..html

For the Thai original text, I believer there should be a link on this web page:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...inkID%3DheadLaw

--

Maestro

• 7 months later...

May I ask, are both passports under the same name (or is the Thai one still her maiden name?)

TinTin, where ever you got that list from it is out of date. Thailand has allowed dual nationality for at least the last 15 years.

My wife has used her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand and her British passport to enter and leave the UK many times. As have our children and numerous friends of ours who hold dual Thai/British nationality.

Not one problem with this; ever.