North Korea leader sincere, must be rewarded for move to abandon nuclear weapons - South Korean president

webfact

North Korea leader sincere, must be rewarded for move to abandon nuclear weapons - South Korean president

2018-10-14T200943Z_1_LYNXNPEE9D0OC_RTROPTP_4_FRANCE-SOUTHKOREA.JPG

South Korean President Moon Jae-in and his wife Kim Jung-sook (unseen) attend a Korean cultural event in Paris, France, October 14, 2018. Yoan Valat/Pool via REUTERS

PARIS (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is sincere and really means to abandon nuclear weapons, South Korean President Moon Jae-in told a French newspaper, adding that the international community needed to reward him for that.

Kim and U.S. President Donald Trump pledged at a landmark summit in Singapore in June to work towards denuclearisation. But the agreement was short on specifics and talks have made little headway since, with the North refusing to declare its nuclear weapons and facilities or agree to a concrete timeline.

"This year I have discussed in depth with Kim for hours. These meetings have convinced me that he has taken the strategic decision to abandon his nuclear weapon," Moon told Le Figaro in an interview before a state visit to Paris.

Moon is to meet President Emmanuel Macron on Monday.

While Pyongyang has stopped nuclear and missile tests this year, it failed to keep its promise to allow international inspections of its dismantling of the Punggye-ri site in May, stirring criticism that the move could be reversed.

But Moon said Kim was "sincere, calm and polite" and "felt frustrated by the international community's continuing mistrust".

"It is now time to respond to these efforts that were hard to agree to," Moon said. "We need to assure Kim Jong Un that he took the right decision in deciding to denuclearise and we need to accompany him in his wish for a durable and solid peace."

Washington wants concrete action, such as a full disclosure of North Korea's nuclear and missile facilities, before meeting Pyongyang's demands, including an official end to the Korean war and the easing of international sanctions.

Moon said he hoped another Trump-Kim summit would allow the two leaders to go further than the statements they made at their first meeting in Singapore.

"Declaring an end to the Korea war would be a start to establishing a regime of peace," he said, also calling for the United States to take "reliable corresponding measures to guarantee the security of the regime".

"We could also in the future discuss the easing of sanctions, in accordance with progress on denuclearisation," he added.

(Reporting by Ingrid Melander; editing by David Stamp)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-15

2 minutes ago, blazes said:

Reward?  How about the Nobel Peace Prize?  Didn't some American president recently receive that honour without doing sweet eff all to justify the award? 

I think Obama got the prize for not being George Bush. I think it would have been fairer to give it to all Americans who voted against George Bush.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Did Moon ask Trump's permission to make this public statement?

I think not. Moon is (once again) acting like he is the leader of a sovereign nation.

No doubt Trump will be calling Moon to remind him (again) that the US will levy sanctions against South Korea if he goes off-script to Trump's negotiations with Kim.

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Same North Korean tactics.

Those agreements were with the previous regime and now that China no longer supports NK in their quest to get nukes , NK just wants assurances that USA wont attack them .

Its quite clear that NK wants a peace agreement 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Those agreements were with the previous regime and now that China no longer supports NK in their quest to get nukes , NK just wants assurances that USA wont attack them .

Its quite clear that NK wants a peace agreement 

What special piece of evidence do you have that this time it's different?

And China has never supported NK in its quest to get nukes. Where in the world did you get the idea that it did?

On the other hand China has already relaxed sanctions on North Korea as has Russia.

And why not? After all, as Trump wrote, "the problem is solved" and "North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat."

13 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

What special piece of evidence do you have that this time it's different?

And China has never supported NK in its quest to get nukes. Where in the world did you get the idea that it did?

On the other hand China has already relaxed sanctions on North Korea as has Russia.

And why not? After all, as Trump wrote, "the problem is solved" and "North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat."

China was previously  fully supportive of NK , that all changed when NK have their nuclear accident on Chinas borders .

China and Russia may be relaxing their sanctions , but that is to stop North Koreans starving to death .

Since their meeting , NK havent fired /tested any more rockets , which shows that Trump was correct , I do believe that Trump is delaying further talks/progress until the next US elections

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

China was previously  fully supportive of NK , that all changed when NK have their nuclear accident on Chinas borders .

China and Russia may be relaxing their sanctions , but that is to stop North Koreans starving to death .

Since their meeting , NK havent fired /tested any more rockets , which shows that Trump was correct , I do believe that Trump is delaying further talks/progress until the next US elections

You asserting that China was supportive of NK as far as its nuclear program is concerned  doesn't make it so. Got any independent support from people who have some some special knowledge of the situation. Sounds like you're making things up.

As  for your assertion that China and Russia are relaxing the sanctions out of humanitarian concerns once again it sounds like you're making things up. Got any authoritative source to back you up on that one?

As for the cessation of missile launches...after previous negotiations North Korea gave up missile testing for several years. It's proof of nothing. 

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You asserting that China was supportive of NK as far as its nuclear program is concerned  doesn't make it so. Got any independent support from people who have some some special knowledge of the situation. Sounds like you're making things up.

As  for your assertion that China and Russia are relaxing the sanctions out of humanitarian concerns once again it sounds like you're making things up. Got any authoritative source to back you up on that one?

As for the cessation of missile launches...after previous negotiations North Korea gave up missile testing for several years. It's proof of nothing. 

As you have stated twice that I am lying and you seem rather confrontational , I have decided not to continue with this discussion any further

Just now, sanemax said:

As you have stated twice that I am lying and you seem rather confrontational , I have decided not to continue with this discussion any further

All you have to disprove my contention is to provide evidence. I haven't been able to find any to support what you assert. So,yes, I think I'm well justified in saying you're making things up. Your contention that China supported NK's nuclear ambitions is particularly ludicrous. Why would China want a small neighboring state with a history of outized belligerence to have nuclear weapons? Makes no sense.

I think you're using a fig leaf of indignation to cover the fact that you've got no evidence to support you.

18 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Did Moon ask Trump's permission to make this public statement?

I think not. Moon is (once again) acting like he is the leader of a sovereign nation.

No doubt Trump will be calling Moon to remind him (again) that the US will levy sanctions against South Korea if he goes off-script to Trump's negotiations with Kim.

Please explain what script?   That sounds like planning.   I don't think that's how it works these days.   

20 minutes ago, Credo said:

Please explain what script?   That sounds like planning.   I don't think that's how it works these days.   

The peace plan, if not ultimately reunification of north & South Koreas, being pursued by Moon.

"going off-script" is Moon putting his nation's sovereignty ahead of the US interests, translated to mean that Moon is pursuing what is right for South Korea versus what Trump wants what's right for Trump.

Since the Trump-Kim summit the only visible progress towards peace is not between Trump and Kim but between Moon and Kim.

Archived