Drug Addiction!!! Help?

moonseeker

Hi there.

Trying to find resources to help a good friend - naive  & labile - to get off cocaine and meth./ice  !!!!

In Europe I would have his family to support me and could admit him to a prof. rehab center. What are my options here?

I am aware of Wat Thankrobak, that does rehab, but no way to get him in there. He is in usual drug-users denial: "can stop tomorrow".

I am also aware of the massive difficulties and meager success chances with meth./ice. 

Really worried at some point he is gonna end up in jail, what might get him off the drugs????  or make it even worse. He is a lovely

guy with great, caring character and it hurts me to see him go downhill. It all started when his "g.f." left him. He is only 35 yrs. old.

Thanks for any ideas. Location: SIN-CITY. Regards & thanks.   MS>

Whether Wat Thamkrobak or one of the many private rehab facilities, they all require a that the person involved be willing to come, which in turn requires that they acknowledge the problem and need for help.

There is a pinned list of substance abuse resources in the Drink Too Much forum and also some listed in this forum inthe Mental Health thread.

Probably the best thing to try, since it does not require that he agree to be admitted anywhere, would be Narcotics Anonymous meetings.

www.na-thailand.org and they have meetings in Pattaya. All he has to do is agree to show up for a 1-2 hour meeting and listen.

If he won't do even that, nothing to be done at this time.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Whether Wat Thamkrobak or one of the many private rehab facilities, they all require a that the person involved be willing to come, which in turn requires that they acknowledge the problem and need for help.

There is a pinned list of substance abuse resources in the Drink Too Much forum and also some listed in this forum inthe Mental Health thread.

Probably the best thing to try, since it does not require that he agree to be admitted anywhere, would be Narcotics Anonymous meetings.

www.na-thailand.org and they have meetings in Pattaya. All he has to do is agree to show up for a 1-2 hour meeting and listen.

If he won't do even that, nothing to be done at this time.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you kindly. MS

Any mental issues beneat it, could be the reason he is using drugs in first place. 

First of all he need to realize he have a problem, to pull himselves out of it, nobody can convince a person to stop, if they are not willing to. 

No family or other friend he have can come and support you?

5 hours ago, moonseeker said:

I am aware of Wat Thankrobak, that does rehab, but no way to get him in there. He is in usual drug-users denial: "can stop tomorrow".

Many years ago I drove with a drug using Thai girl to Wat Thankrobak. The monks talked to her and she stayed there for about two weeks.

She came out without the addiction and as far as I know she didn't use drugs again.

So at least for some people it works.

Maybe you can go there with your friend and tell him to talk with the them. And maybe he talks with them and maybe they convince him to stay there. I don't know how realistic that is but you could try.

Because I guess a big part of the problem is your problem that you want to help him. Another part is his problem that he takes drugs. Obviously it would be perfect if he would stop taking drugs. But in case that that does not happen it will also help you that you can tell yourself: I try to help him, I brought him to a place to get rid of his drug habit. He had the chance. It was (and still is) up to him if he wants to accept help or not.

But you can't make him stop. If he doesn't want to stop it's not your responsibility. Don't blame yourself for something you can't control. (Maybe you don't blame yourself now but you might do it in the future, especially if bad things happen).

Good luck!

5 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Thanks for any ideas. Location: SIN-CITY. Regards & thanks. 

Get him away from the bright lights & temptation for starters.

Offer him your company and a holiday up country for a couple of weeks.

I have a friend who is going down the road with alchohol, and he doesnt se thats his problem, and thats makes all his life crisis and problems with his health. He just thinking party, but it is way beyond party level. It is out of control, and one of the problem, he got to much money. 

a person will find drugs anywhere if there is no willingness to stop.
wat tamkrabok is fine but it is purely a detox centre, most people need a stay in a rehab place for a month or so after that, there are now many such places in TH, they require x time of sobriety before admission.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess you know that drugs are also easily available up country...

The speed pills yeah, doubt the ice (meth) and really doubt there's any coke about out in the sticks.

This ain't Kalifornia but i could be wrong........

Archived