Concrete awning collapses outside Thai university in Nakon Pathom

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that a concrete awning attached to a dormitory near the Silapakorn University in Nakon Pathom collapsed yesterday.

No one was injured but several had a timely escape. 

One was hair salon owner Thanon Ranpraphathanakit who had arrived five minutes earlier to set up business. 

Thanon was doing morning prayers to Buddha when the awning crashed down outside.

Thai Rath said that the structure was an extension added to the Thiwalai Villa building by the owner five years ago. 

Police are investigating the cause. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-16

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Obviously designed and built by the University Engineering section. Now there's something for bored netizens to jump on.

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

an extension added to the Thiwalai Villa building by the owner five years ago. 

At least it lasted 5 years.

I'm no building engineer or designer but the way its sheared off flush with the building for pretty much its whole length don't like right to me .. Any Civil engineers amongst members who can shed a bit of light on it .. Seen something not dissimilar in Spain yrs ago when a balcony collapsed into the street below .. At that time the Spanish were big on constructing a lot of buildings out of a concrete type frame .. 

IMG_20181016_085420.jpg

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

There appears to be no reo bars running through the concrete so it was always going to come down the builder needs to be asked a few questions on its lack of supports and safety standards .

He's long gone.got a 5 yr head start.ive had loads built for me and you can't let your eye off them for more than 15 minutes max.they are useless louvre doors on upside down.opening the wrong way even though I've drawn it on the floor.allergic to spirit levels.smart phone addicts.reliable as a rusty Chinese watch,drunks.

No reo and no cement in the concrete. Big savings for the builder. Some years back the Thai government geniuses introduced a hotline called "building about to collapse".

That initiative was created when some crap building collapsed and a few people were killed. 

Observers were supposed to phone in if they saw cracks in buildings and report them (I kid you not). 

Archived