No Sex Please, We're Thai

Bangkok Barry

From the Bangkok Post, yet another example of the bizarre and totally illogical thinking of the Thai people. Or to be fair, a few that are completely off with the fairies...

Curfew aims to guard teens from sting of Cupid's arrow

Teens not easily lured into sex City police have put a damper on the spirit of Valentine's Day with a 10pm curfew on teens under 18 to ensure they go home early and do not fall prey to sexual temptation.

Police will patrol "risk areas" where teenage lovers may be tempted to share moments of tender intimacy tomorrow night.

"Teenagers under 18 years old must return home before 10pm," the deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Kamol Kaewsuwan, said yesterday.

Risk areas include shopping malls, public parks, pubs and discos _ places where youngsters enjoy hanging out and partying.

These places tended to encourage romantic passion, he said.

Youngsters still out after 10pm will be arrested and given a warning, and their parents will be summoned to the police station and informed of their child's misconduct.

"We are serious about inspecting those areas all day and all night," Pol Maj-Gen Kamol said.

...... So anyone under 18 out after 10pm is to be arrested - for being out. Interesting crime. Not that anyone would dream of having sex before 10pm, or on any of the remaining 364 days of the year.

How is it possible for us to understand a mindset that believes Thai teenagers only want sex on Valentine's Day. It's totally beyond my comprehension.

No talk this year though of banning curtains on the mini-van buses.

From the Bangkok Post, yet another example of the bizarre and totally illogical thinking of the Thai people. Or to be fair, a few that are completely off with the fairies...

Teens not easily lured into sex City police have put a damper on the spirit of Valentine's Day with a 10pm curfew on teens under 18 to ensure they go home early and do not fall prey to sexual temptation.

Police will patrol "risk areas" where teenage lovers may be tempted to share moments of tender intimacy tomorrow night.

"Teenagers under 18 years old must return home before 10pm," the deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Kamol Kaewsuwan, said yesterday.

Risk areas include shopping malls, public parks, pubs and discos _ places where youngsters enjoy hanging out and partying.

Youngsters still out after 10pm will be arrested and given a warning, and their parents will be summoned to the police station and informed of their child's misconduct.

"We are serious about inspecting those areas all day and all night," Pol Maj-Gen Kamol said.

...... So anyone under 18 out after 10pm is to be arrested - for being out. Interesting crime. Not that anyone would dream of having sex before 10pm, or on any of the remaining 364 days of the year.

How is it possible for us to understand a mindset that believes Thai teenagers only want sex on Valentine's Day. It's totally beyond my comprehension.

What century we life in?

What a waste of taxpayers money!

What century we life in?

taxpayers?

i am just glad that it is illegal to take my girlfreind out. its going to save me a fair bit of dosh that.

btw: she may be young, but she has an old soul

Edited by t.s

It's about as sensible as the licencing laws imposed on supermarkets for the sale of alcohol, which are supposed to protect underage teens from buying. Whatever happened to an ID card's function in this regard, I just don't know. Also the second stage of sales hours, which begins at 5.00 pm is about the time supermarkets are crowded with schoolkids, just out of school. Logical? No. Thai. Yes.

Edited by samtam

What century we life in?

taxpayers?

i am just glad that it is illegal to take my girlfreind out. its going to save me a fair bit of dosh that.

LOL.. Under 18 GF.. You want to watch that... Gary !!!

It's about as sensible as the licencing laws imposed on supermarkets for the sale of alcohol, which are supposed to protect underage teens from buying. Whatever happened to an ID card's function in this regard, I just don't know. Also the second stage of sales hours, which begins at 5.00 pm is about the time supermarkets are crowded with schoolkids, just out of school. Logical? No. Thai. Yes.

Were nearly there with this thread.

Whats needed are compulsory electonic chastity belts that only open once you pass 18.

(BTW, age of consent is 15, nothing wrong with having a 16-17-18 year old girlfriend. I had one when I was early 20s, then I grew up.)

Still needs parental consent, and only for non commercial sex.

Commercial sex:

Include advertisements for condom ?

BTW, age of consent is 15, nothing wrong with having a 16-17-18 year old girlfriend. I had one when I was early 20s, then I grew up.

That's durn DISGUSTIN!

I had a 50 year old girlfriend when I was 20 years old - didn't want to be no Chester the Molester - she looked old for her age just to make sure. :o

What century we life in?

I didn't know that the policy get a salary, thought they are purely financed by tea-money....

taxpayers?

Wow that's disturbing.

aint it just, but what a great setup.

(BTW, age of consent is 15, nothing wrong with having a 16-17-18 year old girlfriend. I had one when I was early 20s, then I grew up.)

Still needs parental consent, and only for non commercial sex.

Indeed so, a (not very nice) (farang) teaching colleague of mine was sent down for sex with his 16-year-old girlfriend after the mother registered a complaint with the police. He was let out a few months later after the mother relented. This is no laughing matter. Think very carefully before entering a relationship like this.

The pair of them took up exactly where they had left off, by the way.

Also, did the police announce this curfew about 36 or 24 hours before Valentine's day, after many couples had already made their plans? How draconian is that, to announce a crackdown just before the event?

yeah. those of us with underage lovers and no parent permission slip are screwed.

It's not a parent permission slip, nor is it under-age. That's where the ceremony with banana-leaf-origami mega-structures, lots of cotton rope and a yodelling old village uncle comes in. You'd take lots of pictures of that ceremony as it proves parents consent.

(You'd be barking mad to get into a relationship with someone that young, as I soon found out way back then, but that's beside the legal point. :o )

Edited by chanchao

Don't believe everything you read on newspaper since it is not Bilble.

This is 100% bluff and people know that. No police is gonna do according to what is posted. I would be very very very stupid

if i tell my girl to come home early because I was so afraid that she is gonna be arrested.

Don't believe everything you read on newspaper since it is not Bilble.

This is 100% bluff and people know that. No police is gonna do according to what is posted. I would be very very very stupid

if i tell my girl to come home early because I was so afraid that she is gonna be arrested.

Just a lucrative new source of income for underbribed cops?