Phuket pharmacists up in arms over Drugs Act

snoop1130

Phuket pharmacists up in arms over Drugs Act

By The Phuket News

1539687373_1.jpg

The pharmacists present their formal request at Phuket Provincial Hall this morning (Oct 16). Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET:-- Local pharmacists gathered at Phuket Provincial Hall today (Oct 16) to submit a formal request for the government to revise the provisions in a bill being drafted to update and amend the Drugs Act 1967.

The draft bill in its current form will allow ‘health professionals’, not just qualified pharmacists, to legally dispense drugs.

The pharmacists, led by Kiatisak Panrangsri, massed at Provincial Hall at 8am, with Phuket Vice Governor Prakob Wongmaneerung formally receiving the request.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-pharmacists-up-in-arms-over-drugs-act-69001.php#OsYA4dj7co5lL4wt.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-10-16

That's funny because I thought any tom,dick or Harry can sell drugs.my local man just googles what I ask for and can't speak a word of English.they all seem to be proper rip off merchants too.nothing priced and guessing what they can charge you.i live in a village and the main pharmacy owner pulls up in different mercs from time to time.youll not meet a poor pharmacist in Thailand.they prey on the uneducated and needy selling bags of anything when they only need one item.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The draft bill in its current form will allow ‘health professionals’, not just qualified pharmacists, to legally dispense drugs.

"Qualified pharmacists!" Not sure about that. Now almost anyone can dispense antibiotics at the drop of a sniffle or a cough!

19 minutes ago, 300sd said:

If anything they should be cancelling

"Qualified pharmacists!" Not sure about that. Now almost anyone can dispense antibiotics at the drop of a sniffle or a cough!

Here's all the qualifications you need to be a pharmacist in Thailand.

IMG_2532.PNG

They had a big crack down on Pharmacies / Pharmacists in Phuket several years ago but it's slipped back again with unqualified people working and handing out drugs again.

Pharmacies are another serious farang ripoffs in Phuket.  One day check the price you pay for a medication (pills etc) against what a Thai will pay... each place will charge different with some pharmacies worse than others.  If you have a Thai mrs or gf always have her go buy for you.  eg: i have personally had this for a card of tablets - 30 bt for a Thai opposed to 100 bt for myself. If you have the time and inclination the big supa cheap in town is the cheapest and where all the pharmacists go to purchase.

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

In the article it says the FDA has already given in to the pharmacists request. So why this protest?

Confusing article indeed. I had to read it 3 times.

I think the (graduated) pharmacists are protesting because there is a protest (and draft bill) by those who want to be certified to sell drugs having just taken a course but without having graduated.

Archived