Civil war in Thailand

Megasin1

Yes a civil war is currently raging in Thailand, as you balance on the edge of your bar stool concerned about getting your bank account or pension validated you may not realise that the Tanawat Wattanputi supporters are at logger heads with the Ranee Campen supporters, or that the Ranee Wattanputi/Ranee Campen supporters are deeply entrenched against the other 2. We are affected by all this, even here in England where an isolated Thai mother spends hours glued to her Line account watching all three factions fighting it out. A real life drama revolving around a soap opera event, amazing and yet a rather apt reflection of a nation that live their lives in a surreal reflection of life, suspended one shadow away from what the rest of us would call reality. I have to say that in my opinion, some people would probably be better off concentrating on real life events, however this is possibly a western view as we sort of place value on progressing in life, accumulating wealth and planning for the future and to me, if Alice was to enter the looking glass in modern times then Thailand would possibly be what she found, however I digress. The nation is gripped by Buppasaniwas and I am sure that those involved will milk it for all it's worth. Okay, so it's just a soap, in Thailand, a big soap with spin offs galore, but what really amazes me is how much it pervades their lives and if General 44 could bottle this essence his victory in the upcoming political farce of the century would be guaranteed. Are any others out there with Thai partners/friends finding that they are glued to this rather strange period drama?

22 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

Are any others out there with Thai partners/friends finding that they are glued to this rather strange period drama?

Mrs C is glued to a few Thai soap operas. I have no idea which ones, as I don't understand the language.

When we lived in England she was hooked on the Aussie soaps. I don't know which ones - same reason.

I have noted most of the soaps are set in very rich families,maybe for a poor Thai this is a chance to dream of a life they will never have. My question is when will they discover you can actually buy a powder that when mixed looks like real blood,they are still using Tomato Ketchup by the looks of it.

Archived