Airport Link Scam ??

atyclb

suvanabum airport link toll booth asked 1 trip to makasan station, gave 100 baht and received 55 baht change for the 35 baht trip.  without getting more than 5 feet away from toll booth i went back to same guy and asked him why he did not give me correct change.  he began to look coy and asked me to return the plastic token which i did. he then gave me another one and corrected the change issue.

a high % of foreigners pass through every day and if he nicks each one for 10 baht he can have a nice little side business.

• Like 2

Like any other place in Thailand, always...always check the change. Mainly in restaurants where they do not always cheat on the change,  but put a different price on the bill then on the menu, or sometimes add stuff you did not order. A good idea is to write down the price when ordering and make sure the waiter/ess sees you writing down the cost.

If you don't trust to use credit cards in Thailand due to the skimming and other cheating issues, to make things easy, always pay in the lowest denomination possible. For a 35 THB price have stocks of 20 THB an 50THB notes, for restaurants 100 THB notes are fine to have in supply. For shopping and hookers 1000 THB notes in stock are also handy ! Makes the pockets bulky with risk of loss/theft ...but cannot win on both sides.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You come from a world where nobody makes mistakes, how sweet.

a world where universal  trust exists would be lovely if only every man and woman were martin luther king, mahatma gandhi and teresa of calcutta

hint= #context

#thailand.

Edited by atyclb

I wasn't happy that the taxi slopfia targets people at Phaya Thai.  Refused meter, told me 500.  I told him 200.  He then finally said 200...I said no thanks....next guy had a meter..147 THB, and I gave him 200.  Last train of the night, too.  The 35, 45 thing could have easily been a mistake..usually better to use a machine.  I would go nuts trying to decipher foreigner mumblings through that glass.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:
19 hours ago, atyclb said:

a world where universal  trust exists would be lovely if only every man and woman were martin luther king, mahatma gandhi and teresa of calcutta

hint= #context

#thailand.

hint = every mistake is a scam, every Thai is a crook, everyone's out to get me and nobody loves me, boo hoo!

that goes without saying in case you didnt notice the ? in my post.   how did know nobody loves me?

Also happened to me when changing much cash on don muang...i missed a 1000 baht note and when i asked him he immediatly handed me one, no questions asked...

Also at mo chit i liked to change 100 notes for 10 10baht coins often...a few times i got nine 10 baht coins and they are all prepared and stacked in her coinholder...

Just always check everything, even in shops when they give you a product in a box, open the box and check all.

• Like 1

The only time I've ever had a change issue at a BTS station was at Phayathai where the guy short-changed me by about 80 baht when I bought 25 trips for a rabbit card. Difficult to believe it was a mistake but he corrected it when I pointed it out so definitely check your change before walking away.

Compared to neighbouring countries getting short-changed in Thailand is very rare.

Edited by edwardandtubs

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, atyclb said:

suvanabum airport link toll booth asked 1 trip to makasan station, gave 100 baht and received 55 baht change for the 35 baht trip.  without getting more than 5 feet away from toll booth i went back to same guy and asked him why he did not give me correct change.  he began to look coy and asked me to return the plastic token which i did. he then gave me another one and corrected the change issue.

a high % of foreigners pass through every day and if he nicks each one for 10 baht he can have a nice little side business.

...and if he doesn't do that he doesn't.  Just because you got the wrong change once doesn't make him a thief.  Everything that he does is on CCTV.

one of the sought after jobs is cashier in a busy bar/go go bar, its well known for the cashier to add a drink for themselves on the tab, say 140, extra a few times during the night is a good little earner, times that by 7, easy money

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...and if he doesn't do that he doesn't.  Just because you got the wrong change once doesn't make him a thief.  Everything that he does is on CCTV.

so who watches the videos every day to assure they are not scamming/ skimming/ etc.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:28 PM, observer90210 said:

Like any other place in Thailand, always...always check the change. Mainly in restaurants where they do not always cheat on the change,  but put a different price on the bill then on the menu, or sometimes add stuff you did not order. A good idea is to write down the price when ordering and make sure the waiter/ess sees you writing down the cost.

If you don't trust to use credit cards in Thailand due to the skimming and other cheating issues, to make things easy, always pay in the lowest denomination possible. For a 35 THB price have stocks of 20 THB an 50THB notes, for restaurants 100 THB notes are fine to have in supply. For shopping and hookers 1000 THB notes in stock are also handy ! Makes the pockets bulky with risk of loss/theft ...but cannot win on both sides.

Life is tough in Thailand...

You need to study the TVF religiously for a couple of years before visiting TH

• Haha 1

Sounds like he gave a token for Phaya Thai 45 baht instead of Makasan 35 baht not a scam just didn't listen to you.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app